So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?

Post by ZakGordon »

I first used the 'world wide web' on Netscape and not long after Explorer 'took over'. Fast forward like 15 (20?) years and as with everything in the tech space things have changed.

Browsers in Linux have always been a concern for me due to either:

1. Lack of choice (not really that much of a problem these days)
2. being too complicated to setup.

Anyway i saw this video here from Chris Titus Tech (youtube channel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PedU3mNm-3Y

In which he discuses some merits (or lack off) between Opera, Vivaldi and Brave.

I had just switched to trying Brave out myself (in both Windows and Linux Mint) as it was actually very easy to setup in Mint, even i could follow (copy/paste) the instructions in the terminal to get it set up. And overall i like it (for a modern browser).

I switch pretty much everything 'off' that modern designers/coders think i might find handy (whereas i just see privacy issues mostly) and overall it feels like it works a bit better than Chromium and also has that nifty and very easy to use 'New private window in Tor' option for a pretty much one-click encrypted and ip hidden browser session.

So here are my browser lists for both Windows and Mint:

Linux Mint:

1.Brave (so far so good) - New to me, so not much to say other than it made a good impression.

2.Firefox (good old foxy with the handy NoScripts extension etc) - with the extensions i use it has been just a mainstay for years now, NoScripts alone has saved my bacon from malware loaded webpages.

3.Chromium (my first browser under Mint) - It's ok and it works but i do worry about it long-term with Google increasingly in the picture?

4.Palemoon (back up to Firefox these days) - It took the place of Firefox for a while, but changes over recent years had made it less functional across more of the internet.

Windows:

Pretty much the same as the above, but without Chromium as i used Slimjet instead. Most of the above comments apply in windows too, with Slimjet taking a similar note to Palemoon; it was one i used pretty often, but usage fell of over time.

So what are other people using and what do they think of Chris's comments re Opera (which i also used back in the day when it was still 'good')?

What are considered all your best browsers to use these days (in Linux as well as Windows if you go that way!)? Which are the easiest to set-up/use in Linux Mint?
Last edited by ZakGordon on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Re: So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020?

Post by gittiest personITW »

Which one is your favourite?

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

What's the most popular web browser in 2020?
https://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-the ... r-in-2020/?

there's No Surprise, either ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

Pierre wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:51 am
What's the most popular web browser in 2020?
https://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-the ... r-in-2020/?

there's No Surprise, either ..
sure seems hard to believe that firefox is slowly sinking like it is, according to that link. personally, i think firefox kicks butt over most all the other browsers although i really do like the new edge chromium in windows. supposedly that's coming to linux in the hopefully near future and hopefully it's as fast as it is in windows. it already supports the only extension i use, so it's good to go for me!

another browser i've used that i like is naver whale. haven't been using it as much as previously, but for a chromium based browser it's pretty decent.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you're going to put quotation marks around 'best' in the thread title you can hardly expect a definitive answer.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?

Post by ZakGordon »

I've adjusted the title to help people ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

ZakGordon wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:19 pm
I've adjusted the title to help people ;)
You still won't get a definitive answer. You're only going to get each person's personal preference.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:52 pm
You still won't get a definitive answer. You're only going to get each person's personal preference.
Well said! The best browser for you may not necessarily be the best on for me. You might like hard boiled eggs and someone else might like them soft boiled, which is "best"? I'd suggest that the best browser for you is the one that you use most of the time.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Thank you @ZakGordon for bringing Vivaldi to my attention. I'm an Opera user from way back and have kept on using it through the turbulent move to Chromium when many of the features that I loved were removed. I've never used IE as my daily browser, and while I use Firefox and Chrome at work (where I'm a web designer) there are things about them that I don't like.

I had heard of Vivaldi but I didn't know it was created by the same guy that originally co-founded Opera when he was unhappy about the direction Opera was going in. I've done some research and I'll definitely be trying out Vivaldi this weekend. I see that Vivaldi has one of the features that I really miss from the old Opera: notes for bookmarks. It can also tile browser tabs in a single window, which was something I thought about when I got my new large monitor a few months ago; this is something that seems to be pretty unique to Vivaldi.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

1 - Vivaldi

That's the list.

I think the biggest problem with browsers is the reliance on extensions to provide functionality. There tends to be a misconception that adding features to a browser is 'bloat'. Having well integrated features is what makes a browser useful.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Firefox ... use it on my Linux, Mac, Windows computers.
The one absolute standard in my whole computing experience.

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

This thread is actually....
"Which browser do you use? Why?"

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

glad you said 'in our opinion', as Firefox is the "only good browser" IMO because of the way it handles Bookmarks and Extensions. It has been the Default Daily Driver ever since its' inception in its' different forms.

I keep backup browsers installed so that I can access links simultaneously along with Firefox, because of the Extensions that I use in FF don't play well with many websites.

My current list of browsers places them in this order.
  • Firefox
    Opera
    Vivaldi
    Chromium ( if installed, which it is not )
On my Win7 Desktop, Firefox is again King, because the Bookmarks are Sync'd up with my laptop. And any test or other OS that I use in my home, 5 laptops, 1 Desktop.

The Win7 Desktop is setup like this:
  • Firefox
    Opera
    Chrome
    Explorer ( or whatever the hell M$ calls it, is never used period )
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:38 am
glad you said 'in our opinion', as Firefox is the "only good browser" IMO because of the way it handles Bookmarks and Extensions. It has been the Default Daily Driver ever since its' inception in its' different forms.

I keep backup browsers installed so that I can access links simultaneously along with Firefox, because of the Extensions that I use in FF don't play well with many websites.

My current list of browsers places them in this order.
  • Firefox
    Opera
    Vivaldi
    Chromium ( if installed, which it is not )
On my Win7 Desktop, Firefox is again King, because the Bookmarks are Sync'd up with my laptop. And any test or other OS that I use in my home, 5 laptops, 1 Desktop.

The Win7 Desktop is setup like this:
  • Firefox
    Opera
    Chrome
    Explorer ( or whatever the hell M$ calls it, is never used period )
i just installed opera on one of my machines yesterday for probably the 350th time! i like playing with browsers. was quite surprised at at good it ran, which was never really in question, but it just never grabbed me like it used to WAY back in the day when it was advertised supported, which was around version 5, or so. remember that version! anyway, liked it enough right then and there to remove vivaldi and naver whale!

never have really gotten into vivaldi and all those crazy settings that next to no one knows what they do! definitely not the fastest browser out there either.

still hanging on to flashpeak slimjet as my third browser. that makes my my preference for browsers currently being:
1. firefox
2. opera
3.flashpeak slimjet

premier69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by premier69 »

in linux mint software manager, why isn't opera or vivaldi there? should i be worried if it's not in the official repo?
OS: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia x86_64 | Kernel: 5.3.0-28-generic | DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon 580 VRAM: 8GB | RAM: 16GB

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I use the Brave Browser for privacy, security and ad blocking. I just use the browser itself and not any extensions (I haven't seen any that I would actually need), it's own cryptocurrency based rewards system for allowing ads to be viewed, or it's syncing features, the latter two because I have trouble wrapping my mind around them and because they are buggier than flophouse beds. In its basic form, without all the add-ons, it simply just works and works well.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:43 am
That is what i was asking, yes :) I had thought my OP would give the gist of it?

And glad to finally get some responses. I find it useful to gauge peoples choices every few years or so, as things change. And as a relative newb to Mint it had always been a concern over what i could use on this OS vs what i was used too.

Hmm, there was a super secure browser i was looking at a year or so ago, it was possible to get it on Ubuntu (so i assume Mint also) and other Linux distro's and then i looked at the install instructions and had a brain embolism! It was ridiculous to set-up (i tried following the instructions). So i past it by, iirc it had kind of a cool red shield icon thing? I wonder what that browser was and if it is easier to install yet. It was a browser built around security apparently (so secure i could not install it!).

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

ZakGordon wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 pm
gittiest personITW wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:43 am
That is what i was asking, yes :) I had thought my OP would give the gist of it?

And glad to finally get some responses. I find it useful to gauge peoples choices every few years or so, as things change. And as a relative newb to Mint it had always been a concern over what i could use on this OS vs what i was used too.

Hmm, there was a super secure browser i was looking at a year or so ago, it was possible to get it on Ubuntu (so i assume Mint also) and other Linux distro's and then i looked at the install instructions and had a brain embolism! It was ridiculous to set-up (i tried following the instructions). So i past it by, iirc it had kind of a cool red shield icon thing? I wonder what that browser was and if it is easier to install yet. It was a browser built around security apparently (so secure i could not install it!).
That is the best way to keep your computer safe.
No browser, no LAN, no communication from the outside world, no power, and keep it in the box it came in just in case :lol:

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I really like Waterfox. It feels a lot like Firefox, but it seems faster and I feel like I have more control over it. Plus, the Classic version can run all old add ons.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Iridium 'might' have been the security based browser i was thinking off?

https://iridiumbrowser.de/downloads/debian

And i guess that debian instruction is what to use for Mint (and does not look as complicated as i remembered)? It's main drawback is it is not quickly updated (so the Chromium version it runs on is older than current etc). I've not tried it, and i'm not 100% sure that was the browser i was failing to recall previously. I'm seeing pictures of red shield graphics and a rather fancy looking website to download it from, and the Iridium page is not that.

I picked it up on this list here:

https://www.slant.co/topics/4281/~web-b ... -for-linux

Return to “Software & Applications”