So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
premier69
Level 3
Level 3

Re: So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?

Post by premier69 »

why isn't brave, vivaldi or opera on the software store?
OS: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia x86_64 | Kernel: 5.3.0-28-generic | DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon 580 VRAM: 8GB | RAM: 16GB
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

According to me the best browsers are Pale Moon and Basilisk. They are the best for me.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

In my case, it's Light.

Blindingly fast.

It may be a bit insecure, but when run from BionicPup on a USB stick - with my hard drive inaccessible - it's blindingly fast.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/

Jon - who promised himself that he'd stop 'playing with things'.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

premier69 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:23 am why isn't brave, vivaldi or opera on the software store?
Brave is kinda 'new', so it might not yet be in most peoples consideration? The other two i'm not sure about, but after that video i posted (in which the details of why Opera is not now a browser you really want to run) i would not want to see it in the Software Manager. Vivaldi seems to have taken up the best of 'old' Opera and left behind the worst of 'new' Opera.

Brave is very easy to install. I did it :D just by copy/pasting the suggested code into the terminal.

I've been testing it out on both Windows and Mint and so far it is up near the top of my personal choices (alongside Firefox+extensions).
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

ZakGordon wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:57 pm Vivaldi seems to have taken up the best of 'old' Opera and left behind the worst of 'new' Opera.
After installing Vivaldi and playing with it for a couple of days I have to agree with your above statement. Vivaldi reminds me a lot of the old Opera that I used to love using. I haven't uninstalled Opera yet, but that will happen if my new-found love affair with Vivaldi continues.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:38 am glad you said 'in our opinion', as Firefox is the "only good browser" IMO because of the way it handles Bookmarks and Extensions. It has been the Default Daily Driver ever since its' inception in its' different forms.
I'm curious what about the way Firefox handles Bookmarks that makes you like it. I use Firefox at work (forced to along with Windows 10) and the Bookmarks feature seems quite plain.

There's a standard dropdown tree-style menu that you can use from the top menu bar. That is a pretty basic feature. That seems pretty standard on all browsers, I don't know of any browser that doesn't have that ability. The only thing a little different is that you can drag and drop to organize bookmarks in the dropdown tree.

Then there is 'Show All Bookmarks pop-up window (or library). This offers a little more in-depth organization. But, again, it's fairly plain. The only thing that seems unique might be the 'Tags'. But I'm not really sure how that's much different than keywords.

Is there something more that makes Bookmark handling in Firefox better than in any other browser?

By comparison, a quick look at Vivaldi, and there is a dropdown tree-style bookmark menu, an option for a bookmarks bar, there's a Bookmarks page for organizing bookmarks that offers thumbnails, nicknames and descriptions. Then there are also Speed Dial pages (which are just special bookmark folders), which offers a customizable, more visual option for Bookmarks and you can even make custom thumbnails for web pages and folders. And there's also a sidebar for bookmarks.

I never really understood the love for Firefox. Every time I use it, I find it clunky and unintuitive to use. So I must be missing something.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I use Firefox at work (as well as Chrome) and find the UI to be quite plain and boring looking; to me it looks like early Windows software. Bookmarks seem to work the same as most other browsers I've tried, nothing special there.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

For me it is about 'usability', in relation to what i like about FF. As we have seen with browsers (Opera) you can change for the worse, and FF seems to be on a track back from that itself.

There was a period of time a couple of years ago when i stopped using it and was not sure it could remain a browser i would use. I can't remember exactly what was the cause of that impression? They were changing how 'extensions' work and adding features (trying to copy Chrome?) that to my mind would make my data less safe etc.

Anyway i currently use FF with extensions (NoScript being the central browser security choice to avoid drive-by browser attacks (from rogue java-scripts)) and have the 'bookmark' toolbar and 'Menu bar' active as i like having a GUI access to tools and functions, rather than having to remember keyboard commands or 'relying' on 'search' to find browser functions for me.

Sure it gives me a much busier/bigger top section of the browser, but i find it much more functional that Chrome/Chromium based browsers that strip everything down and require you 'type' in the url window to access information, rather than use GUI pull down menu's etc. I hate having to 'manage' on those browsers (so mostly i don't. On first use i quickly access the 'settings', switch all data-gathering 'off' and never go back in there again! ), it reminds me why i left Windows around Windows 8; GUI got messed up/destroyed to the point of lack of functionality (for me).
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ugly wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:38 am glad you said 'in our opinion', as Firefox is the "only good browser" IMO because of the way it handles Bookmarks and Extensions. It has been the Default Daily Driver ever since its' inception in its' different forms.
I'm curious what about the way Firefox handles Bookmarks that makes you like it. I use Firefox at work (forced to along with Windows 10) and the Bookmarks feature seems quite plain.

There's a standard dropdown tree-style menu that you can use from the top menu bar. That is a pretty basic feature. That seems pretty standard on all browsers, I don't know of any browser that doesn't have that ability. The only thing a little different is that you can drag and drop to organize bookmarks in the dropdown tree.

Then there is 'Show All Bookmarks pop-up window (or library). This offers a little more in-depth organization. But, again, it's fairly plain. The only thing that seems unique might be the 'Tags'. But I'm not really sure how that's much different than keywords.

Is there something more that makes Bookmark handling in Firefox better than in any other browser?

By comparison, a quick look at Vivaldi, and there is a dropdown tree-style bookmark menu, an option for a bookmarks bar, there's a Bookmarks page for organizing bookmarks that offers thumbnails, nicknames and descriptions. Then there are also Speed Dial pages (which are just special bookmark folders), which offers a customizable, more visual option for Bookmarks and you can even make custom thumbnails for web pages and folders. And there's also a sidebar for bookmarks.

I never really understood the love for Firefox. Every time I use it, I find it clunky and unintuitive to use. So I must be missing something.
Unintuitive? how can that be, it is straight forward, without a lot of glaring fancy theme crap. I want the toolbar to stay put on every PC that I have.

The other browsers out there do not have the same Tool Bar at the top like Firefox does.
they do NOT have the Library "Show all Bookmarks"

I use Opera once in a while, PITA for daily use.
Vivaldi is much the same, PITA ...

Firefox gives the user much better control over the bookmarks, sorting, moving.
Your complaints about the "tired old time look" is precisely why I like Firefox...

FF has worked the same with the Toolbars since its' inception pretty much, and that is exactly why I like it.
FF handles extensions with aplomb, again why I like it......
What I did not like was when they changed the way extensions are handled and negated some of my favorite extensions.... but that has since been resolved by good developers fixing that issue on extensions.

FF bookmarks can be accessed with just the keyboard, not necessary to use a mouse.
I have my favorite bookmarks placed near the top, so that I can just use a key sequence to go where I want 'right now'.

Alt-B 'M' goes straight to Linux Mint forum 'New Posts'
Alt-B 'N' goes straight to New posts on my motorcycle forum
etc etc etc

Firefox has the Bookmark and Preferences sync tool, so that no matter what PC that I use ( provided it is mine ), the bookmarks are identical on every PC/laptop that I use. This allows me to flitter around the house, using different PCs w/o loosing a new bookmark if I add one in.

.This is how I have FF setup, "just the Facts ma'am, nothing but the facts" to quote that old detective that I loved.

FF look.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richlion2 »

Every browser has it's pros and cons. For me - none of them are fullproof.

1. On Win 10 Chrome was my main one on my work laptop until one day my corporate antivirus hit me with "trojan found!" message. It was something in the cache, although I cleared it completely I was still getting them. I had to delete all my saved logins, clear everything including browsing history, bookmarks. I stopped using it - it freaked me out. Switched to Firefox, but it's a big memory hog. Open 5-10 tabs and my work 4GB laptop grinds to a halt, which didn't happen with Chrome of Edge.

2. On Linux - I mainly use Chrome, but you can't run it on a 1GB Raspberry Pie. Beats Firefox in speed and memory usage though. However, due to blocked Video Downloaders I have to switch to Firefox.
Firefox - I use it to download streaming in certain web sites that Chrome fails to work with (or blocks them). It does come with the Facebook Container, so I have Facebook only opened in Firefox.

3. I use Tor Browser in case I want to really be private, but then you cannot open Youtube, because Google keeps telling me "there is something wrong" and blocks it .

Every browser has something that doesn't work, so none of them are my 1st class favourites. Every browser has something that is a "pain in the neck".
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:41 am Unintuitive? how can that be, it is straight forward, without a lot of glaring fancy theme crap. I want the toolbar to stay put on every PC that I have.
What I mean by unintuitive is that every time I want to accomplish something it feels like I'm fighting with it. It takes a lot longer to get things done in Firefox.
The other browsers out there do not have the same Tool Bar at the top like Firefox does.
I'll concede that point. Last I checked, you could move around buttons all over Firefox to customize the toolbar. I don't think anyone else allows for that as well as Firefox since Opera abandoned their old browser changed to Chromium. Vivaldi is moving towards that, but slowly so far.
they do NOT have the Library "Show all Bookmarks"
But they do. The Library Show all Bookmarks looks pretty much the same as Vivaldi's bookmark page.
Firefox gives the user much better control over the bookmarks, sorting, moving.
Other browsers do the same thing. Looking at what Firefox offers and what Vivaldi offers for bookmarks, and there doesn't seem to be anything special that Firefox offers. Firefox appears to offer less.
Your complaints about the "tired old time look" is precisely why I like Firefox...
I didn't say that anywhere. I didn't mention how Firefox looks at all.
FF handles extensions with aplomb, again why I like it......
What I did not like was when they changed the way extensions are handled and negated some of my favorite extensions.... but that has since been resolved by good developers fixing that issue on extensions.
Reliance on extensions is a bad thing for a browser. You're relying on third parties for functionality. A different person/people can take over for a trusted extension. It's happened before.
FF bookmarks can be accessed with just the keyboard, not necessary to use a mouse.
I have my favorite bookmarks placed near the top, so that I can just use a key sequence to go where I want 'right now'.

Alt-B 'M' goes straight to Linux Mint forum 'New Posts'
Alt-B 'N' goes straight to New posts on my motorcycle forum
etc etc etc

Firefox has the Bookmark and Preferences sync tool, so that no matter what PC that I use ( provided it is mine ), the bookmarks are identical on every PC/laptop that I use. This allows me to flitter around the house, using different PCs w/o loosing a new bookmark if I add one in.

.This is how I have FF setup, "just the Facts ma'am, nothing but the facts" to quote that old detective that I loved.
Again, these are things that are special that other browsers can't do. Chrome offers sync. Opera offers sync. Vivaldi offers sync.

The thing that I notice a lot when people advocate for Firefox is that they brag about how it can do stuff that no other browser can do but they don't seem to realize that those features aren't unique. It usually comes down to 'I've been using Firefox for a long time and I don't want to try anything else'.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Unique or not, no other browser " feels as good to me ", as does Firefox.
it may be staid, and a brick in the mud, but I will never use anything else for my daily browser.

Been with it since it was called Navigator, and even then, it was 'better' than the other crowd.

I'm out, y'all carry on.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:55 pm Been with it since it was called Navigator, and even then, it was 'better' than the other crowd.
Firefox peaked at version 3.6. After that it started going downhill.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

ugly wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 pm...I never really understood the love for Firefox. Every time I use it, I find it clunky and unintuitive to use...
Ditto!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 pm Firefox peaked at version 3.6. After that it started going downhill.
That is probably fair. There was a 'weird' period of transition, sort of like the Firefox (devs) had lost their way and were looking around at Chrome in 'panic' and trying to work out how to make money (or whatever the main motivating factor for the changes were).

I absolutely moved to Palemoon for about 2 years (and enjoyed my time), and would have stayed but, for example, sites like GOG.com stopped being functional under Palemoon, so i had to look around and Firefox worked where Palemoon didn't, and in those 2 years away it seemed like it had recovered it's goals and purpose (a bit). I still like 'old' Firefox more, but recent Firefox has regained it's composure a little, and it is usable on most sites, and i have my most important extensions back.

The only reason i'm happy trying Brave (currently) is that they are so antagonistic towards google (and Chrome), i think that is healthy for a Chromium based browser ;)

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

In 64 bit linux Mint, I started to use 64 bit linux Pale Moon as my default browser when it was released in January of 2014 and still do today. Works well for me and is much more customizable out of the box than Firefox.

I don't use a lot of addons/extensions with Pale Moon. The only two extensions I use are NoSquint and uBlock Origin. The backup browser is linux Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

ZakGordon wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:57 am That is probably fair. There was a 'weird' period of transition, sort of like the Firefox (devs) had lost their way and were looking around at Chrome in 'panic' and trying to work out how to make money (or whatever the main motivating factor for the changes were).
Chrome was a real disaster in the 'browser wars'. It got so popular so quickly that it left other browsers scrambling. It somehow got the reputation of being the 'power users' browser, probably because it was so fast when it came out.

But 'browser speed' is sort of misleading. End users don't suffer because a page renders 10ms slower. The usability of the browser is what is important. A good feature for navigation will save you way more time than a 'faster' browser. Chrome was stripping out all the features in the browser to focus on speed above all else.

But tech websites constantly post 'browser round up' articles that provide graphs of all kinds of benchmarks, so everyone thinks Chrome is better. So many people started using Chrome. And on top of that so much 'free' Windows software was being offered with a sneak install of Chrome, so many users that don't care what a browser is were unknowingly switched to Chrome. And, if I remember correctly, Google used to push Firefox a lot, which greatly helped the uptake of Firefox in the early days. So Firefox lost out on that free advertising because Google was pushing Chrome.

As a result the competitors kind of lost their way. Firefox went off the rails for a while. Opera dropped their engine and lost their way.

And, similar to the IE6 days, since Chrome is so popular, web developers don't bother testing other browsers on their websites (or actively block browsers that aren't Chrome). Google themselves seem to actively block browsers on their services.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Firefox ... despite the occasional annoying pop-ups declaring that it (FF) save me from being tracked by some evil website. :mrgreen:
Annoying & "in your face" is the paradigm these days.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

All:

Right now I am also searching for the "best" browser too; Chrome et al is a Google product, (it has been described as "spyware disguised as a browser") so no-go. Firefox has evolved into "Big Browser" with tons of reporting stuff you need to switch off, and now, no way to switch off Google's "safe" browsing; yes, even in the Tor Browser. So I am looking to dump Firefox and its clones, and find something new; I cannot see how you can "report" to Google and brag about what a great "privacy" browser you are.

I'm sorry, but at this point I can't tell you what to pick, just what not to pick.

Later.
LFrazier

Post by LFrazier »

Linux Mint Forums, My Answer For "So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?"

Monday, March 9, 2020

Lloyd
Pasadena, Harris, Texas, United States of America

Linux Mint Forums,

I do not know, that I have the perfect answer for "So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?," but in Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" Cinnamon 64-bit, with 8 GB of Installed Memory (RAM), and 1 TB of Solid State Drive (SSD), I have installed:

- Aurora 0.11.0, this is a nice browser, but very old (2010), and Benjamin C. Meyer has NOT updated.

http://arora-browser.org

- Beaker Browser, Version: 0.8.8 Electron: 4.1.3 - Chromium: 69.0.3497.128 - Node: 10.11.0

https://beakerbrowser.com/

- Brave Web Browser, Version 1.4.96 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit), this gets updated, almost every day...

https://www.brave.com/

- Brave Web Browser (beta), Version 1.5.108 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) beta (64-bit), this gets updated, every day...

https://brave.com/download-beta/

- Brave Web Browser (dev), Version 1.6.59 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) dev (64-bit), this gets updated, every day...

https://brave.com/download-dev/

- Brave Web Browser (nightly), Version 1.7.50 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit), this gets updated, every day...

https://brave.com/download-nightly/

- Chromium Web Browser, Version 80.0.3987.87 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu, running on Linux Mint 19.3 (64-bit), current

https://www.chromium.org/getting-involv ... d-chromium

- Cliqz, Version 80.0.3987.87 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Linux Mint 19.3 (64-bit), current

https://cliqz.com/en/

- Dissenter Browser, Version 0.65.121 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit), from Gab AI Inc., and Dissenter Browser opens Brave Web Browser, but claims to be Dissenter

https://dissenter.com/

- Dooble Web Browser, 2020.03.03, current

http://dooble.sourceforge.net

- Falkon, Application version 3.0.0, QtWebEngine version 5.9.5, Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Falkon/3.0.0 Chrome/56.0.2924.122 Safari/537.36, I am sure, Falkon was a great browser, but Falkon has NOT been updated since 2018, by David Rosca

https://www.falkon.org

- Firefox Web Browser, 73.0.1 (64-bit), current, if you have JonDoFox Browser installed, Firefox asks which Browser to launch, current

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/

- FlashPeak Slimjet, Version 25.0.2.0 (based on Chromium 78.0.3904.63) (Official Build) (64-bit), current

https://www.slimjet.com

- Google Chrome, Version 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit), current

https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... l=en&oco=0

- Google Chrome (beta), Version 81.0.4044.43 (Official Build) beta (64-bit), current

https://www.google.com/chrome/beta/

- Google Chrome (unstable), Version 82.0.4068.4 (Official Build) dev (64-bit), current

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/g ... e-unstable

- Iridium Browser, Version 2018.11 (Developer Build) Built on Ubuntu 16.04, running on Linux Mint 19.3 (64-bit), Iridium Browser may be a great Browser, but there is 0 screen function, on opening Iridium Browser, current

https://iridiumbrowser.de

- Luakit, Luakit Web Browser may be a nice browser, but Luakit Web Browser DOES NOT function

http://luakit.org/

- Midori, Midori Web Browser, v9.0, from Astian Foundation, was current in 2019

https://www.midori-browser.org

- Mozilla Build of SeaMonkey, version 2.53.1, User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1, there are time SeaMonkey DOES NOT load, but other websites do, current

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

- Naver Whale, Omnitasking Browser, Whale, Version 2.6.90.16 (64-bit), from NAVER Corp., Whale checked for 2020 update, Whale checked for 2 hours, and Whale DOES NOT show answer, current

https://whale.naver.com/en/

- Nightly Web Browser, Firefox Browser NIGHTLY, 75.0a1 (2020-02-14) (64-bit), current

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/

- Opera, Version: 67.0.3575.53, Opera is up to date, Update stream: Stable, System: Linux Mint 19.3 (x86_64; X-Cinnamon), current

https://www.opera.com/download

- Opera beta, Version: 67.0.3575.28, Opera is up to date, Update stream: beta, System: Linux Mint 19.3 (x86_64; X-Cinnamon), current

https://www.opera.com/computer/beta

- Opera developer, Version: 68.0.3616.0, Opera is up to date, Update stream: developer, System: Linux Mint 19.3 (x86_64; X-Cinnamon), current

https://www.opera.com/computer/beta

- Otter Browser, Otter 1.0.01, not updated, since September 2018, Otter checked for updates, current

https://otter-browser.org/

- Pale Moon, Version: 28.8.0 (64-bit), from Moonchild Productions (M.C. Straver BASc), current

http://www.palemoon.org/

- Polypane, 3.0.0, I DID NOT join Polypane, I updated Polypane, and I cannot access Polypane, I WILL NOT join Polypane, at any level

https://polypane.rocks

- qutebrowser, this is text based, with 0 menus, and I NEVER use it...

https://qutebrowser.org/

- Spez Epiphany, Web 3.22.7, Powered by WebKit 2.26.4, Marco Pesenti, The Web Developers, current ?

https://spezcomputer.weebly.com/spez-browser.html

- SRWare Iron, Iron, Version 75.0.3900.0 (Developer Build) custom (64-bit), Copyright 2020 The Iron Authors, Iron is made possible by SRWare, current

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

- Superbird Web Browser, Superbird, Version 73.0.3683.103 (Developer Build) (64-bit), Copyright 2020 The Superbird Authors, current

http://superbird-browser.com/

- SushiBrowser, Browser Version: 0.29.1, Chromium Version: 78.0.3904.108, Current 0.31.1 Fugu (Pufferfish), which SushiBrowser thinks is Chromium, DEB 136.7 MB, but sushi-browser_0.29.1_amd64.deb downloaded, Windows 118.3 MB, but sushi-browser-0.31.1-setup-x64.exe downloaded

https://sushib.me

- Tor Browser, 9.0.1, The Tor Project, Extended Support Release, 9.0.1 (based on Mozilla Firefox 68.2.0esr) (64-bit), updated today to Tor Browser 9.0.5 (based on Mozilla Firefox 68.5.0esr) (64-bit), current

https://www.torproject.org/

- Vivaldi, Vivaldi: 2.11.1811.47 (Stable channel) (64-bit), Revision: 95a861e5aede2fd1e73cf21b4be5abc1f86438b3, OS: Linux, JavaScript: V8 8.0.426.26, Flash: 32.0.0.330 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so, User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/80.0.3987.136 Safari/537.36, current

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en_US

? - Now I had Waterfox Browser installed, and Waterfox Browser was working correctly, but Waterfox Browser deleted itself, and I cannot install the Current 2020.02, waterfox-current-2020.02.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2, Size: 60.1 MB (60,143,363 bytes), Modified: Mon 02 Mar 2020 08∶01∶30 PM CST, or Classic 2020.0.1, waterfox-classic-2020.02.1.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2, Size: 92.4 MB (92,380,921 bytes), Modified: Mon 02 Mar 2020 08∶11∶53 PM CST, tar.bz2 files for Waterfox Browser

https://www.waterfox.net/

Depending on whose numbers you read, NET MARKETSHARE states this Browser Market Share: Chrome has a 67.66% Market Share, Firefox has a 8.68% Market Share, Internet Explorer has a 7.11% Market Share, Edge has a 5.98% Market Share, Safari has a 3.63% Market Share, Sogou Explorer has a 1.69% Market Share, QQ has a 1.69% Market Share, Opera has a 1.45% Market Share, Yandex has a 0.90% Market Share, UC Browser has a 0.39% Market Share, Baidu has a 0.22% Market Share, Maxthon has a 0.20% Market Share, Unknown has a 0.19% Market Share, Chromium has a 0.09% Market Share, Vivaldi has a 0.08% Market Share, Amigo has a 0.02% Market Share, Cheetah has a 0.01% Market Share, Sleipnir has a 0.01% Market Share, HTTrack has a 0.00% Market Share, Baidu Spark has a 0.00% Market Share, and there are 16 more Browsers listed, at 0.00% Market Share, some of which Browsers, I have used.

If 96.3% of the world's top 1 million servers run on Linux, with 1.9% use Windows, and 1.8% use FreeBSD, Linux has room to grow on desktops. I have heard, that Linux has 1.47% of the global desktop / tablet volume, and growing.

In my opinion, for Browsers, I use Opera developer, Version: 68.0.3616.0, primarily, but I highly respect Vivaldi: 2.11.1811.47 (Stable channel) (64-bit), and I check out Brave Web Browser (dev), Version 1.6.59 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) dev (64-bit). I believe in the Mozilla Group of Internet Browsers, so I review Mozilla Build of SeaMonkey, version 2.53.1, User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1, Nightly Web Browser, Firefox Browser NIGHTLY, 75.0a1 (2020-02-14) (64-bit), and Pale Moon, Version: 28.8.0 (64-bit), from Moonchild Productions (M.C. Straver BASc). I believe Tor Browser 9.0.5 (based on Mozilla Firefox 68.5.0esr) (64-bit), is smart to have installed. As a final note, Naver Whale, Omnitasking Browser, Whale, Version 2.6.90.16 (64-bit), could be interesting...

In my use of computer, since I was 11 years old, and I am 54 years old today. I have seen, and used, many operating systems. In 1992, I received 1 certification on Unix operating system, and 1 certification on Unix System Administration, from a highly respected school, at a highly respected private university, but they are of 0 use today, as Linux is the growing operating system! I own many computers on Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Microsoft Windows 10 Professional, Google Chrome OS, and Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" Cinnamon 64-bit, but my confidence is with Linux, and I have reviewed several Linux distributions.

If I can find a great Browser, for Linux, and I DO NOT want a version of new Microsoft Edge, which is a slightly changed Google Chrome / Google Chromium, so finding a great Browser, is fun!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Return to “Software & Applications”