Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
arijitnaha
Level 1
Level 1

PacketTracer Crashes At Launch

Post by arijitnaha »

I am trying to install Packet Tracer 7.2.2 in Linux Mint 19.2. I was able to install the app but when try to launch it goes to user login page and if type the username after that it shuts down without any issue or error. I did below troubleshoot

1> Install the Qt libraries with apt-get:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libqt5webkit5 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5svg5 libqt5script5 libqt5scripttools5 libqt5sql5
2> Install libcu52:

wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/i/icu/libicu52_52.1-3ubuntu0.8_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libicu52_52.1-3ubuntu0.8_amd64.deb
3> Install libpng121:

wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb
However above steps or installing library did not work. Please help.
i tried installing 7.2.1 but getting below error and shows same behaviour of crash

Starting Packet Tracer 7.2.1
/usr/local/bin/packettracer: line 8: 2884 Floating point exception(core dumped) ./PacketTracer7 "$@" > /dev/null 2>&1
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: PacketTracer Crashes At Launch

Post by Hoser Rob »

You don't cite a source for those instructions (ALWAYS DO THAT) but I suspect you're trying to install the version for Ubuntu 19.04 in Mint 19.x, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04. There's not a lot of backwards compatibility in Linux so you don';t want to do that.

That's why you couldn't install the dependencies, and if you had managed to do that you likely would have broken something else.
arijitnaha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arijitnaha »

I searched online for the solutions and came across those steps. I am not sure about the 2nd part as I am downloading packet tracer from CISCO Netacad website where it only says packet tracer for Linux. You are right as I have checked the downloaded file for 7.2.2 it says "PacketTracer-7.2.2-ubuntu-setup.run".

However, for 7.2.1 one, the download file saves as "Packet Tracer 7.2.1 for Linux 64 bit.tar.gz". Still i am experiencing same issue like 7.2.2.

I really need packet tracer. If you have come across this kind of issue please help. I tried to check in software manager but it is not there. If you have the correct package please share or let me know what I can do as troubleshoot.
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Peer review = Ossification of current assumptions, the censorship of competing hypotheses.

Mathematical proofs = Elegant consistencies within a synthetic man-made universe.
Models are not reality, no matter how elegant.
arijitnaha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arijitnaha »

Thanks for the link, I followed the steps. This time also it got crashed after the login page. But I got below error message
Floating point exception (core dumped)

Any idea about this?
arijitnaha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arijitnaha »

I am still facing the issue and have not found any clue to fix it. Please let me know if you have found any fix.
cphobes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cphobes »

Did you try Packet tracer under WINE or PlayOnLinux?

Just curious as I will need to set that up sooner than later.
cphobes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cphobes »

Just a follow up to my earlier post, I noticed that Packettracer 7.3.0 is now available via netacad.com

It's a .deb file and it installs but the icon it sets up won't "run" the program. In the CLI I was able to ./packettracer which started it up. Of course you will need your login info to get it going.

I'm new to linux and have no idea why this is the case but maybe that will get you in the right direction. Another link which helped me was:

https://grupp-web.de/cms/2020/01/03/ins ... out-alien/

Again, I'm new so take that with a big grain of salt.

Return to “Software & Applications”