Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NamelessPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Please recommend a YouTube downloader

Post by NamelessPenguin »

I've downloaded a whole bunch of clips (from 30 to 90 minutes) using ClipGrab. It seemed to work fine during the download process, but when I was going to watch the clips, many of them were corrupted, only got half the images and all the audio etc, etc..

Then I tried youtube-dl, which I liked a lot. Being able to download an entire playlist is just awesome! But oh my god, the speed, it goes down to a crawl at 50'ish Kb/s, at least when I download lists. And many of them fail. Single clips seem to work fine.

But I'd really like to download lists at regular speed, or at least get what I download. Any recommendations?
greenpossum
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Please recommend a YouTube downloader

Post by greenpossum »

youtube-dl is unlikely to be at fault here. I use youtube-dl and often get +1Mb/s transfer rate, however I suspect Google-YT would throttle me if I attempted to bulk leech their videos. :wink:
subluminal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by subluminal »

youtube-dl is, arguably, the best downloader in any platform. Debian/Ubuntu repo package is ancient though. Use the one from https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html.
In order to bypass google speed throttling, you may have to change the IP, temporarily. Or use an external downloader like aria2.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

subluminal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:41 am
youtube-dl is, arguably, the best downloader in any platform. Debian/Ubuntu repo package is ancient though. Use the one from https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html.
Definitely use that one - but first uninstall the one from the repos.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
netadm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by netadm »

Hi,

For information you can use CLIPGRAB without problem !

I use it for many time/years and no corrupted files !

It's a software open-source, and with this you can download from Youtube and other.
You can transcode video to many audio format !

PPA for Liinux here : https://launchpad.net/~clipgrab-team/+a ... ubuntu/ppa
Website project : https://clipgrab.org/

See You :-)
LM19.3 Tricia Cinnamon
AIO Lenovo ThinkCentre e93Z - i5 - 16GB Ram - SSD
Laptop Lenovo ThinkPad L380 - I5 - 16GB Ram - SSD
Laptop Lenovo T540p - i5 - 8GB - SSD (Ubuntu 18.04 for my son)
(And a bluescreenofdeath HP Windows 10 for my wife... LoL)
emt_memo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emt_memo »

I'm using Free Download Manager
It can download a single video or a full playlist from youtube
it can also work as a torrent client
it's free with plugins available for firefox and chrome

https://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Hi,

I'll add Xtreme download manager and 4K video downloader to the list of suggestions.

BTW, DL speeds are fine when using youtube-dl, something is wrong with your connection.
morgs88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morgs88 »

Try 4K Video Downloader, have been using it on windows and it works pretty well for downloading single files and play lists, only just found out they have a ubuntu version: https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... downloader
The free version works for up to 25 files in a playlist, but the pro version is only $15

Cheers

Brett
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Hi,

Clipgrab is very good, no issuses.
experimenter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by experimenter »

try vido, a graphical youtube-dl frontend available @ https://sourceforge.net/projects/vido/

Installs in the user space so need for admin privileges. It installs an up to date local copy of youtube-dl, without causing a conflict with the global version, which can be updated from the gui itself.
The drop-icon feature is quite useful for queuing up multiple videos by just dragging - dropping them on the drop icon.
The wiki has easy video instructions to install an use the program
ttt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ttt »

why not use the allrounder jDownloader?! It can do that too!
and it is in your package manager.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I've been using Video Downloader and it has worked very well for me.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
bendipa
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bendipa »

Another vote for 4kVideo Downloader.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 19.3, Ubuntu 18.04, Windows 10 (1909), Windows 7 Pro
Linuz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linuz »

I love youtube-dl. I've used so many wy outube downloader websites, but their speeds can be really slow or they try to get you to install malware.

Cut out the middleman between you and Youtube by using youtube-dl!

I like to download my videos from youtube in the highest quality. So what I use is this command:

Code: Select all

youtube-dl -f bestvideo+bestaudio video_URL
It works so nicely. I had to type this command that way because a video I downloaded in 1080p video quality had no matching audio... This command got me the best video and audio quality without requiring me to know which ones were the best in advance.

Youtube-dl has always been pretty fast for me. I think those 3rd-party youtube downloader websites use their own bandwidth to send you videos, which isn't free, so you're better off using open source software like youtube-dl yourself. The only thing you have to depend on is how fast youtube's servers are and your ISP's download speeds.

If you download other software from the internet that isn't open source, it could include malware on it...
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

Wow - that's so powerful! I just watched this on youtube-dl and I've gotta say I'm hooked!
Thanks for such an awesome suggestion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-HLSvtBWc
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

You shouldn't repend on just one streaming downloader, the protocols used by streaming sites are changed all the time. Use several. I use youtube-dl and clipgrab.
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

I tried to use clipgrab but double clicked on the app image and it wouldn't open?
Also, have you had any luck getting the Youtube downloader GUI to work? I know most people use command line but I'm a newbie and there was a GUI at one point.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-instal ... ux-system/
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
theStreak
Level 3
Level 3

Post by theStreak »

You can also download Youtube videos using VLC media player (which you may already have installed). See: https://fossbytes.com/how-to-download-y ... ia-player/. Works great.
Practice safe computing -- use a live CD
Level 4

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

My experience with YouTuber downloaders has been bad, and if I could recommend a downloader I love, or create one myself, I definitely would. I've tried using YouTube-DLG from Software Manager, and have had the same problems with videos getting corrupted. I've also tried using ClipGrab, but found it difficult and confusing to install. While Video Downloader doesn't have any issues with corrupted videos, it's tedious to use because you have to painstakingly download each video at a time, and rather than letting the video save to a folder of your choice (I do that so it's easy to organize if the channel has multiple videos), you have to go to Downloads, VideoDownloader, copy the video, go to the folder you want it in, and hit paste. Sometimes I forget that I copied a video, so then I have to delete the original. All of that would've been avoided if Video Downloader would just let me download multiple videos at once, and let me save them wherever I want. If all you want is a non-corrupted video, and don't mind dealing with unnecessary tediousness, then Video Downloader is your best option IMO.

*Update: the easiest way to download Clipgrab is through Terminal, not downloading the program from the website itself:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clipgrab-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clipgrab

The only problems I've noticed so far include not being able to download age-restricted content (it claims it can't find the video, or something is wrong my connection), and the program shuts down all by itself. If anyone in this thread PM me on how to fix them, I'd appreciate it.
Linuz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linuz »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 am
I haven’t tried the program that you mentioned, but the command line program, YouTube-DL has worked wonders for me.

Code: Select all

youtube-dl -f bestvideo+bestaudio youtube_url
for the win!
theStreak wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:06 am
You can also download Youtube videos using VLC media player (which you may already have installed). See: https://fossbytes.com/how-to-download-y ... ia-player/. Works great.
Could never get the VLC trick to work on my end on linux or mac osx, but never was stubborn enough to not give up. I don’t normally recommend command-line applications over GUI ones (especially as a newbie), but Youtube-dl is one of the simplest CLI programs I’ve ever used.

Return to “Software & Applications”