Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
FenderGuy
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Simple, Safe, & Efficient Web Browsers for Laptops: Top 3

Post by FenderGuy »

For the non-techy Linux Mint (Cinnamon) laptop user who desires a simple, safe and efficient way to browse and bookmark his fave websites, what are your top 3, in descending order? :wink:

Thanks, guys and gals!
Last edited by FenderGuy on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Samsung Series 3 Notebook NP300E5A
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon) w/ Opera & Firefox

david_01
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Simple, Safe, & Efficient Web Browsers for Laptops: Top 3

Post by david_01 »

Okay so the best browser which i have used till is
A)Firefox :with the provided extensions and add ons i could configure firefox to my please and i use duckduckgo as my search engine in firefox.
B)chrome: obviously it is the browser which most of people use but i am not fine with googles policy of keeping records and monitoring people. Other than that google dorks are a favorite of mine.
C)i have not tried anything else

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

Speaking for myself, I use Firefox, with Firejail, and browser extensions (NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger).

As a reluctant backup, I have Chromium (not Chrome) just in case I require a very finicky website that will not tolerate otherwise, but that's a rare use.

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gittiest personITW »

JoeFootball wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:42 pm
Speaking for myself, I use Firefox, with Firejail, and browser extensions (NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger).

As a reluctant backup, I have Chromium (not Chrome) just in case I require a very finicky website that will not tolerate otherwise, but that's a rare use.
As Joe, except swap out Privacy Badger (uBlock does the same job) for DeCentraleyes.
As a backup - Vivaldi.

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

My main browser is chromium, I use chrome on some sites and as a backup I have vivaldi. Ublock is installed in chromium.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fstjohn »

For me, it's Brave. It's blindingly fast since it automatically blocks trackers, ads and more. It's ultra secure and even has TOR built in.

FenderGuy
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Re: Simple, Safe, & Efficient Web Browsers for Laptops: Top 3

Post by FenderGuy »

I use Opera (I think it's a derivative of Chromium) as my main browser, with Firefox as my backup.

I've heard good things about Vivaldi and Brave, so I'll have a look/see at those two.

Thanks, guys.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi FenderGuy,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

My recommendations for browsers are:

1.) Brave browser

2.) Slimjet browser

3.) Vivaldi browser

I also have Firefox, Google's Chrome, Waterfox, browsers installed.

And, as was smartly suggested, there are some excellent browser extensions and addons to consider like ublock origin for browsers without ad blocking or in place of, disconnect, privacy badger or privacy protector plus, anti-fingerprint or fingerprint masker, etc...

If you have not already changed your default ISP connection's DNS servers, then I recommend everyone do that immediately to those from a secure and anonymous DNS provider like Cloudflare, dns.watch, openDNS, etc... or even better setup DNS over TLS.

If you can, I would also recommend using a reliable VPN provider's server.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

FenderGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FenderGuy »

phd21 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:18 pm
My recommendations for browsers are:

1.) Brave browser
2.) Slimjet browser
3.) Vivaldi browser

I also have Firefox, Google's Chrome, Waterfox, browsers installed.

...And, as was smartly suggested, there are some excellent browser extensions and addons to consider like ublock origin for browsers without ad blocking or in place of, disconnect, privacy badger or privacy protector plus, anti-fingerprint or fingerprint masker, etc...

If you have not already changed your default ISP connection's DNS servers, then I recommend everyone do that immediately to those from a secure and anonymous DNS provider like Cloudflare, dns.watch, openDNS, etc... or even better setup DNS over TLS.

If you can, I would also recommend using a reliable VPN provider's server.

Hope this helps ...
Hey, phd21, I was with you re: web browsers, but when you got to browser extensions and addons, DNS and VPN servers, well, ya lost me, bro.

Don't get me wrong; I like the concept; but I'm no backend geek; more like a frontend Linux newby! :roll:

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I recommend Brave. My backup is Firefox (which almost never gets used) for personal reasons but I do not necessarily recommend it.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

FenderGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FenderGuy »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:28 pm
I recommend Brave. My backup is Firefox (which almost never gets used) for personal reasons but I do not necessarily recommend it.
Brave is on my list.Can these be had from the repository? If not, where does one get them?

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I use Firefox almost exclusively. I do have Vivaldi as a backup, but find that it does not play well with a couple of my favourite add ons for Firefox, so it only gets used rarely.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

FenderGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FenderGuy »

lsemmens wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:17 am
I use Firefox almost exclusively. I do have Vivaldi as a backup, but find that it does not play well with a couple of my favourite add ons for Firefox, so it only gets used rarely.
My hypothesis is: If Firefox is good enough for the developers to include it with the system, then it's good enough for me. :wink:

fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fstjohn »

Brave is on my list.Can these be had from the repository? If not, where does one get them?
Go to brave.com. It will recognize you're using Linux and take you to the installation page.

FenderGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FenderGuy »

fstjohn wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 pm
Go to brave.com. It will recognize you're using Linux and take you to the installation page.
Great! I'll check it out, fstjohn. May His force be with you.

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gittiest personITW »

On the whole, it probably doesn't matter too much which ones you use from the point of view of local security, if you use Firejail.
From www security point of view (data), as soon as you go online you are stuffed. It is constantly a matter of damage limitation.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

i use the chrome now which i may try the ungoogled chrome but i can manipulate and block things you have not yet seen! i believe i'm the only one using a tor-chrome profile have not yet seen anyone else with it
i made a promise that i will keep only one browser and learn it well. at the time when i made this promise firefox just got upgraded to quantum version 70 and my about:configs got all messed up and gave it up for Chrome and now i can do this

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

@trytip, maybe a stupid question, but if you are using chrome, why not chromium?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

AndyMH wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 am
@trytip, maybe a stupid question, but if you are using chrome, why not chromium?
not stupid at all your question, in my opinion there is no difference between the two. like most users i just happen to always have chrome installed and a few other browsers and when i eliminated all browsers except one i noticed firefox hardware spiking up cpu usage and i believe chrome is more suited better for my graphics
i also used to block quite a few things with renaming commands entry which i cut down quite a lot

Code: Select all

firejail google-chrome-stable --disable-webgl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --enable-gpu-rasterization --password-store=basic --force-device-scale-factor=1.3 %U

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi FenderGuy,

Big +1 for installing and using the firejail sandboxing app with any and all browsers. Recommend using their PPA for installing and keeping firejail updated.

Firejail and Mint 19 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=273533

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:deki/firejail

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install firejail firejail-profiles
As for adding browser extensions or add-ons, just open your browser and click its menu option for adding extensions or add-ons, search for whatever you want to add like "privacy badger" or "Disconnect", "ublock origin", etc... and add them. You might want to restart the browser afterward.

VPN info - one of many Internet references available.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/vpn-servi ... -internet/

How to change DNS servers (recommend using DNS over TLS below)
https://websiteforstudents.com/setup-cl ... 4-desktop/

For best DNS security, use encrypted DNS.
Protect Your DNS Privacy on Ubuntu 18.04 with DNS over TLS
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/ubuntu ... s-over-tls

Hope this helps...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”