Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
stanley82
Level 2
Level 2

Zoom installation

Post by stanley82 »

Hi all,
I am using Mint 18/3 on all my machines. Due to the COIVD-19 my wife is working form home and needs zoom to tele conference and I got dragged in to figure it out. I started by cleaning multiple instances of Firefox with multiple tabs, my wife, is not a computer fan.

To activate her account I downloaded a dot.deb file using Firefox and failed to install it. From her account my admin password FAILED but her password WAS accepted and the package installer started, finished and reported success, but Firefox keeps asking me to download the dot.deb file and zoom was not in menu/internet. I guess there are a couple of things there to interest the Mint 18.3 team and I will try to get the zoom people to help. Reegards Ian.

PS Zoom under Firefox is still asking me to download the dot.deb file.
From my account I downloaded the dot.deb file into Downloads and installed it the way I expected using my admin password and I have menu/internet/zoom. It still demands the dot.deb file but I guess that is a zoom problem and I need to find out what I should do.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Zoom installation

Post by MrEen »

I thought Zoom was a standalone product. i.e., there's nothing related to Firefox to use it.

I have a suspicion what the issue may be, but need to see the output of apt policy libpulse0 run in the terminal from the 18.3 install.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, stanley82.

The Zoom Meeting software installation instructions can be found here: Installing Zoom on Linux
You want to follow the steps for Debian / Ubuntu / Linux Mint carefully.

The standalone .deb installer is available on this page: Zoom-Client für Linux
This .deb package has to be installed via gdebi with root privileges like any other single .deb file can be installed in this way as well, which has been downloaded to the local disk.
Whether or not the Zoom package will create a Zoom launcher in the application menu, I do not know.

Below the standalone .deb package a browser extension is mentioned as well and download links offered for Firefox and Chrome.
This browser extension will have to be installed in Firefox, when it has been launched under your wife's account.

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

karlchen wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:26 pm
Below the standalone .deb package a browser extension is mentioned as well and download links offered for Firefox and Chrome.
This browser extension will have to be installed in Firefox, when it has been launched under your wife's account.

HTH,
Karl
Wow! No idea how I missed that! :oops:

To the OP, I have just installed Zoom on my 18.3 Xfce install as well as my 19.3 Xfce VM and in both cases a Menu entry was created under Internet. This was done by the automatic creation of the file /usr/share/applications/Zoom.desktop

I'm struggling to think why there was no Menu entry in your one case, but that may explain why Firefox is still complaining but maybe look in that location to see if the file exists.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I just installed Zoom on two laptops, the app is in the Repositories, and, provided you have your camera and mic set up all is good. (I forgot I had disabled both the webcam and the mic in BIOS)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

MoreLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoreLinux »

Zoom works great on Linux Mint 19.3. I'm running it to conduct my training courses with 20+ participants.

The first time Zoom installation is sometimes a bit strange. Here are the steps I tell my participants:
  1. Goto https://zoom.us/download and download the Zoom client for your operating system. Zoom will recognize the Linux OS for you, but not Linux Mint.
  2. Select Linux Type: Mint
  3. Select OS Architectue: 64bit or 32bit (depends on your hardware)
  4. Select the big blue Download button.
  5. In the Opening zoom_***.deb pop-up window, select "Open with GDebi Package Installer" and press OK
  6. After the download is finished, the Package Installer window opens and tells you is ready to start the installation.
  7. Press the Install Package button.
  8. In the Authenticate pop-up, enter your user-account password.
  9. The installation is now running.
  10. Close the Package Installer window. (you don't need to press the Reinstall Package button)
  11. Click the Mint start menu, and in the Internet folder you will find the Zoom launcher.
  12. Start Zoom, and have fun.
When you get invited to a Zoom meeting, you get an email with a URL link. You can select the link to start the session it might happen that the browser doesn't know Zoom. If this happens select Zoom as the default application to open these kind of files.

After setting Zoom as the default application, the application will start every time when you click a Zoom link. Here https://zoom.us/test a link to a test meeting, so you can test your setup.

Have fun and #StayHome

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

When starting zoom-session via browser, delete browser history and answer yes when asking open xdg-open question.

Return to “Software & Applications”