Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Foxclone - linux image backup, restore & clone

Post by Finston Pickle »

Hi AndyMH,

Foxclone sure knocks spots off the ancient REDO that I previously used - thanks again.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

I used to use redo. I developed foxclone because redo was old and not updated. Someone else had the same idea and updated redo as redo rescue at the same time I was developing foxclone. That put the original developer's nose out of joint and there is now a redo backup as well.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

racer-x wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:33 pm
Kendoori wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:43 am
New fangled laptops are a PITA to open, so am not going to do this. RE: efibootmgr, feels like a bit of rat's nest
Try switching to Legacy boot mode in the BIOS. That's what I do, even on my brand new laptop.
Kendoori wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:43 am
Since I've had weather-related outages back in New England and now in the southeast US, I've been looking at using an LTE backup and Google FI (assuming you have coverage from them) is a reasonable option cost-wise. One of my routers has a USB port on it, and I can just plug my phone into it and broadcast through my home network.
That's a cool Idea I my try whenever I loose my FIOS.
This was a good idea, but didn't work :-(

Aptik as a backup/migration strategy has worked well for me, so in the name of time/frustration, I may just make periodic Aptik updates.
sanmig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sanmig »

Kendoori wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm
... shrunk my SSD and then successfully did a clone. For whatever reason, I can't boot from it.
Did you fully disable the internal drive in BIOS?
Cloning will clone UUIDs, probably that would be an issue also with UEFI?
Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

sanmig wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:27 pm
Kendoori wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm
... shrunk my SSD and then successfully did a clone. For whatever reason, I can't boot from it.
Did you fully disable the internal drive in BIOS?
Cloning will clone UUIDs, probably that would be an issue also with UEFI?
I just posted on the r/LinuxOnThinkpad and someone indicated same re: UUID, also that one can't disable the SSD. So it would seem that I need to change UUID of the clone. I should be able to do that with gParted assuming the clone is NOT mounted. I will work on that.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Kendoori wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 pm
I should be able to do that with gParted ...

Code: Select all

uuidgen
sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sdx1
sudo tune2fs /dev/sdx1 -U [UUID]
For ext4, and where [UUID] is the output of the uuidgen command.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Yes you can change the UUID, but I wouldn't expect it to boot. Think grub looks for the boot partition based on UUID. Could be wrong, at the boundary of my knowledge here.

As a minimum you will need to change fstab on the cloned system. UUIDs will be wrong.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

I had the UUID issue after I used Clonezilla to clone the Linux Mint Cinnamon O/S from my old Desktop PC (where I did all the settings adjusments, installed apps and e-mails settings etc. that I required) to my two laptops.

The answer was to run

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
in terminal and see what the laptop's actual UUIDs are.

Then...

Manually edit /etc/fstab as root in Nemo (Mint Files) using right click elevate to root whilst opening filesystem/etc. Click on fstab and it opens with root priviledges so it can be edited. It's the mount point that needs to be copied and pasted from the actual UUIDs found above. Save the edit and you're good to go.

For me it was the swap file which was out (Yes, I am one of those persisting with a swap partiton - not much memory on one of the laptops - did the other laptop the same for consistency)

I hope that this helps.
Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

I did some further playing.

1-I flashed a Clonezilla Live USB. No matter what I did in Mint I was not able to successfully do this. I have a Windows machine, so I used Rufus.
2-Cloned my SSD to the external USB flash drive. Tried to boot from it on my source machine, didn't work. I played around with BIOS, changed to Legacy, Both, UEFI only. Still no go.
3-Booted in UEFI only mode on a different laptop that has Windows on it. Didn't seem to work, but somehow whatever sequence I executed keyboard wise got it to boot into my cloned image (the main drive on that machine is purely Windows).

I made no changes to UUID or fstab.

When I have time I will try again with FoxClone.
supermag
Level 2
Level 2

Post by supermag »

Plausible bug report:

Foxclone has been stuck at " restoring partition image" for 30 minutes now. It appears to be calculating bitmap.
Quote " calculating bitmap, please wait..."
There are no progress in the process bars.

I am attempting at cloning a image file to a disk.

With the disk tool I can clearly spot that /Dev/nvme1n1 appears to have partitions, so it looks like Foxclone has at least cloned those.

My guess is that the graphic window I mentioned appears to not be updated, as the partitions are partition 1: unknown type and contents, 78 GB, partition 2: 541 mb, Microsoft Windows recovery environment ( system, no automount) unknown contents. Partition 3: 17 MB, Microsoft reserved, unknown contents. Partition 5: 427 mb, efi system unknown contents.

Ps aux reveals that /home/Ubuntu/.l is using 96% CPU.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Boot the foxclone iso, open a terminal and run foxclone with foxclone --dump. Copy the terminal output to a text file and email to help@foxclone.com. This is all explained in the user guide.

When I've got that, then I can have a look and see if I can figure out what is going wrong.

It can take a long time to clone (or backup), dependent on the space used. My laptop's system drive has nearly 200GB used and takes well over half an hour to backup. But the progress bar and transfer speeds/times should be updated.

This is the second time I've had reports of failure to clone a, what looks like, dual boot nvme drive.

High CPU usage is normal.
Daddylongleg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daddylongleg »

Hi AndyMH,
I want to thank you quite a lot! Since a long time I was looking for such a program like foxclone. Your solution is very convincing. I tested a dual- boot PC with WIN10-64-2004 and Mint 20 installed on SSD-250GB and as backup-HD a 1 TB-SSD equally partitioned as NTFS and ext4. With foxclone (Version 0.42-04) I made a backup-restore test on the NTFS-partition and aswell on ext4. After erasing the original HD (thanks to gparted as part of foxclone very easy!!) I restored successfully from NTFS and also from ext4 backups. Great!. According to the manual foxclone can do this operation only to the original disk. Are you going to improve later versions that in case of a HD-failure one may restore to a different disk with different size? Because you have my greatest appreciation I would like to support your work by a donation. How can this be done?
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

According to the manual foxclone can do this operation only to the original disk. Are you going to improve later versions that in case of a HD-failure one may restore to a different disk with different size?
You can restore an image backup to a different drive with the clone option - 'clone from file'. But you can only do this if the target drive is the same size* or larger than the source drive (and make sure the backup was a full backup of all partitions on the source drive).
Because you have my greatest appreciation I would like to support your work by a donation. How can this be done?
foxclone will remain free to use, I have no intention of trying to make money from it. I developed it because my favourite image backup software, redo, hadn't been updated since 2012**.

Thank you for your support, appeciated :D .

* the end of the last partition on the source drive must be less than the size of the target drive.

** this has now changed, someone else had the same idea as me and released redo rescue about a month before I released foxclone (we talk). This then prompted the original developer of redo to do something and an updated version of redo is now available as redo backup. The author of redo rescue is working on a version that will clone, don't think that redo backup does clone (yet).
Daddylongleg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daddylongleg »

Hi AndyMH,
your comment is very helpful, glad you cleared this point. Should be included to User guide.
As a non-expert forgive me my naive idea to add an extra feature to foxclone: Why not restore to a smaller HD when the original
HD was only partially used? I refere to "geparted" where you can resize a disc or partition. Found a similar function in a
windows-based software "DriveClone v11".
Still, I like your engagement in favour of the community. Thanks again. :D :D :D :D
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

General - two reports now of clone failing with V42. On one, running foxclone version 40 worked successfully - it cloned a UEFI dual boot win10/mint installation without problems.

If you have a problem cloning with the latest V42 available on foxclone.com, go to hardwickhome.net and you will find the previous versions and try V40.

In the meantime, I'll try and see what I did wrong :(
As a non-expert forgive me my naive idea to add an extra feature to foxclone: Why not restore to a smaller HD when the original
HD was only partially used?
You can restore (clone using 'clone from file') to a smaller HDD/SSD than the original, BUT the end of the last partition on the source MUST be less than the size of the target drive. I will see if I can get foxclone to resize the last partition automatically, but fixing the above bug is my current priority.

Return to “Software & Applications”