Foxclone - linux image backup, restore & clone

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Foxclone - linux image backup, restore & clone

Post by blueicetwice »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:14 pm
I'm shocked you, someone who is normally so helpful, would stoop to saying some thing so absurd and mean spirited. Most people can use Mint just fine without having to ever go to Github (I feel it's well named and I avoid it like Covid).
[/quote]

=====================================================================================

I would rather have Andy be Frank. My Lady, your assessment of Gittyuphub and its significance to
Minty, is correct. I have been on their website and do not understand it. :( It is mostly codes with a few .tar downloads. It is for coders and software engineers.

I joined the Linux league to free myself from Windows's hegemony. There is also Gitlab, which is going to
be IPOed. [publicly traded firm]. https://gitlab.com/explore I wish them well.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:04 pm I find 'GitHub' to be extremely difficult to understand, or to download anything from there and use it.....

I too, think it as another form of a virus
This is what I call sooner sense :!:
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

Ross, thanks for the links! I may have to reinstall. :oops:

I may have to hire you as my Director of Search. :lol:
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:35 am
blueicetwice wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:36 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:31 pm For the life of me, I still can't understand why people are cloning to backup their systems and data. Cloning simply takes too long and eats up too much disk space, especially if the system and data are being cloned.
So you would prefer to take up to 45 minutes to back up, say, 2 GB of new or changed data, tying up your computer the whole time, instead of doing it in less than five minutes and still be able to use your computer while doing so? The same for restoring data? I still don't understand why anyone would want to do that. It doesn't matter how much data one has, be it 2MB or 2TB or even 20TB, it just doesn't sense to rewrite all your data just to back up a small amount of new or changed data.

As far as software reliability goes, use the correct software and reliability will not be a problem. I've used FreeFilesync for years to backup my data, first for several years on Win 7 and now for almost two years on Mint and it has been completely reliable for me. It knows, without fail, what needs saving and what doesn't. To oversimplify it, it copies data to the backup location as needed and deletes data on the backup location that is no longer on the original location. It can be set to verify that each copy occurred accurately. It even can be set to send any deleted data to a user designated location so you can verify that the data was actually supposed to be deleted (this protects you from losing data due to bit rot or accidentally deleted files).
My Lady, I appreciate the advice and pep talk. You and many others whom population this website
are advance users. I even after hundreds of hours of reading an still a tech Neanderthal. Since Andy
and Larry have produced such a great piece of software [cloning made easy], I guess I should take the
"Leap Forward" and try to implement your suggestions.

As long as it does the following:
  • Save the complete OS
    Save all Data
    Save all installed software
If this can be done and I suspect so, then I will declone.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

blueicetwice wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 am
blueicetwice wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:36 am

So you would prefer to take up to 45 minutes to back up, say, 2 GB of new or changed data, tying up your computer the whole time, instead of doing it in less than five minutes and still be able to use your computer while doing so? The same for restoring data? I still don't understand why anyone would want to do that. It doesn't matter how much data one has, be it 2MB or 2TB or even 20TB, it just doesn't sense to rewrite all your data just to back up a small amount of new or changed data.

As far as software reliability goes, use the correct software and reliability will not be a problem. I've used FreeFilesync for years to backup my data, first for several years on Win 7 and now for almost two years on Mint and it has been completely reliable for me. It knows, without fail, what needs saving and what doesn't. To oversimplify it, it copies data to the backup location as needed and deletes data on the backup location that is no longer on the original location. It can be set to verify that each copy occurred accurately. It even can be set to send any deleted data to a user designated location so you can verify that the data was actually supposed to be deleted (this protects you from losing data due to bit rot or accidentally deleted files).
My Lady, I appreciate the advice and pep talk. You and many others whom population this website
are advance users. I even after hundreds of hours of reading an still a tech Neanderthal. Since Andy
and Larry have produced such a great piece of software [cloning made easy], I guess I should take the
"Leap Forward" and try to implement your suggestions.

As long as it does the following:
  • Save the complete OS
    Save all Data
    Save all installed software
If this can be done and I suspect so, then I will declone.
While cloning can be used as an all in one tool to backup everything on a computer, it is grossly inefficient but still much better than not backing up at all so you are to be commended for being wise enough to want to backup your data, etc.

Just like an auto mechanic needs many tools to repair a car (ever try to tighten a nut with a screwdriver :wink: ), computer users need many tools to maintain their computers. Data files differ from system files (OS, programs, etc) so different tools are needed to back up each. I use three, imaging (using Rescuezilla; Foxclone is also excellent and is better supported here) for backing up my operating system and programs, Timeshift (the superior Linux equivalent of Windows), and FreeFileSync for my data files (I push FreeFileSync since it works and it's the one I'm familiar with).

The way I backup my system and data does require that I keep my system files segregated from my data files. I do that by keeping my data on a separate drive(s) instead of in /home, keeping only the hidden files native to /home in /home. That allows me to use the easiest, fastest, and most efficient tools for the specific type of backup I need. You can change a tire by using a manual lug wrench but an impact wrench vastly speeds up the process.

BTW, I am NOT an advanced user and it will be a few years before I can consider myself one. I still consider myself to be an almost total NOOB. My knowledge backup principles were learned back in the bad old days when I was still using Windwoes (up to about two years ago). Since Linux is not Windows, I had to make adjustments to how I achieved the same results, such as tweaking the workflow and learning how to properly use new programs; that was "fun".
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

- I have an USB key, made with Ventoy, on which are Foxclone, Linux Mint 20.3 Mate and System Rescue ISOs. I can boot on this key and choose the ISO I want to launch.

- My "/" and my "/home" are on separate partitions.

- External USB disk for backups.

- "/" backup:
* I take an image with Foxclone every two or three weeks, or before big changes (Mint 20.2 --> 20.3...),
* I take a system snapshot with Timeshift every two days, I keep two; it is fast, Timeshift is a differential backup software.

- "/" restore:
* if possible, restore with Timeshift, from working system;
* if not possible or not working, restore with Timeshift, from Mint 20.3 ISO;
* if not possible or not working, restore with Foxclone, and update with Timeshift, from the system.

- "/home" backup:
* I use FreeFileSync, launched in super user mode to keep files attributes (launched with "sudo -H", it is not very orthodox, but it is a no risk replacement of obsolete gksu and gksudo commands).
* I make a home backup every day; it is fast, FreeFileSync is a differential backup software.

- "/home" restore:
* with FreeFileSync or file manager (caja with Linux Mint Mate).

System Rescue is there for repairs.

Regards,

MN
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:46 pm While cloning can be used as an all in one tool to backup everything on a computer, it is grossly inefficient
Which is why, although I developed it, I don't use it very often. For day-to-day use I use timeshift/backintime. Painless, except for a slow down first thing in the morning while they run for a few minutes (depending on how much has changed). If everything goes pear shaped, a foxclone image restore will get me back a working system setup how I want it. Timeshift/backintime then get me back to yesterday. I say as much at the front of the user guide.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Ross, thanks for the links! I may have to reinstall. :oops:

I may have to hire you as my Director of Search. :lol:
You're welcome.
It's probably one of the few things I still do reasonably well :)
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

While cloning can be used as an all in one tool to backup everything on a computer, it is grossly inefficient but still much better than not backing up at all so you are to be commended for being wise enough to want to backup your data, etc.

Just like an auto mechanic needs many tools to repair a car (ever try to tighten a nut with a screwdriver :wink: ), computer users need many tools to maintain their computers. Data files differ from system files (OS, programs, etc) so different tools are needed to back up each. I use three, imaging (using Rescuezilla; Foxclone is also excellent and is better supported here) for backing up my operating system and programs, Timeshift (the superior Linux equivalent of Windows), and FreeFileSync for my data files (I push FreeFileSync since it works and it's the one I'm familiar with).

The way I backup my system and data does require that I keep my system files segregated from my data files. I do that by keeping my data on a separate drive(s) instead of in /home, keeping only the hidden files native to /home in /home. That allows me to use the easiest, fastest, and most efficient tools for the specific type of backup I need. You can change a tire by using a manual lug wrench but an impact wrench vastly speeds up the process.

BTW, I am NOT an advanced user and it will be a few years before I can consider myself one. I still consider myself to be an almost total NOOB. My knowledge backup principles were learned back in the bad old days when I was still using Windwoes (up to about two years ago). Since Linux is not Windows, I had to make adjustments to how I achieved the same results, such as tweaking the workflow and learning how to properly use new programs; that was "fun".
[/quote]

=======================================================================================
Lady Fritzgerald, I will look at FreeFileSync. I have three HDD; one for Minty [1TB] another for Manjaro and Solus [500GB] and the last for Windwoes :lol: [500GB]. Where would you place the data files :?: I assume it would require a new partition. Thank you so kindly for your advice.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

blueicetwice wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 pm ...Lady Fritzgerald, I will look at FreeFileSync. I have three HDD; one for Minty [1TB] another for Manjaro and Solus [500GB] and the last for Windwoes :lol: [500GB]. Where would you place the data files :?: I assume it would require a new partition. Thank you so kindly for your advice.
It depends. If each drive has its own data, you would need a new partition on each drive large enough to hold your data. If you could put your three Linxux distros onto one 500GB drive, you could use the 1TB drive for all your Linux data. If you want all three Linux distros and Windwoes to share the same data, you would need to format the data drive or partition as NTFS (other wise stick with ext4 for the Linux data).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm
blueicetwice wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 pm ...Lady Fritzgerald, I will look at FreeFileSync. I have three HDD; one for Minty [1TB] another for Manjaro and Solus [500GB] and the last for Windwoes :lol: [500GB]. Where would you place the data files :?: I assume it would require a new partition. Thank you so kindly for your advice.
It depends. If each drive has its own data, you would need a new partition on each drive large enough to hold your data. If you could put your three Linxux distros onto one 500GB drive, you could use the 1TB drive for all your Linux data. If you want all three Linux distros and Windwoes to share the same data, you would need to format the data drive or partition as NTFS (other wise stick with ext4 for the Linux data).
My Lady, tanks for the additional information. Originally, I had Mint and woes on the same HDD; only within weeks
experience the Mint OS deleted. :evil: Thus I decide to segregate Windwoes to its own HDD. There is no data which I care about, as the little of it has been saved to a thumb drive. I use Windwoes simply to operate my scanner.

Would it be better to place all three Linux's OSs on the 1TB and the data onto the 500GB? Which would consume more disk capacity, the OSs or data :?:

I did d/l FreeFileSync and it is rather imposing, however, brilliantly they included a forum for helf. This may make it my
backup of preference, since I am a Head Start geek.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I did d/l FreeFileSync and it is rather imposing
While I know I am swimming against the current on this one, have a look at unison as an alternative to freefilesync. Freefilesync is a windows application ported to linux, unison is native linux. You can find it in software manager, there is a GUI as well. Why do I prefer unison over freefilesync? Apart from it being a native linux utility - the GUI is not as 'messy', it is easy to write scripts to automate the process. I have it syncing important files to my NAS on boot.
I use Windwoes simply to operate my scanner.
Assuming we are talking a document scanner, you should be able to use it under linux. If you are struggling start a new post. If you have tried and failed, try vuescan. If it won't work with vuescan it won't work. It is not free, but to me worth every penny. You can try it for free. Again a recommendation that has been studiously ignored whenever I have made it in the past.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:33 pm have a look at unison as an alternative to
installed it 30 minutes ago, created the first profile and hit GO ......... a winner, thanks
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:33 pm
I did d/l FreeFileSync and it is rather imposing
While I know I am swimming against the current on this one, have a look at unison as an alternative to freefilesync. Freefilesync is a windows application ported to linux, unison is native linux. You can find it in software manager, there is a GUI as well. Why do I prefer unison over freefilesync? Apart from it being a native linux utility - the GUI is not as 'messy', it is easy to write scripts to automate the process. I have it syncing important files to my NAS on boot...
I don't know why you would think the GUI is messy. It doesn't have any more in it than necessary to perform all its functions. Also, writing scripts isn't easy for everyone. I wouldn't have the first clue on how to write one.

Also, I do not recommend automating backups. To have automatic backups, the backup drive either has to be installed in the computer or externally connected and powered up at all times. Both can expose the backups to many of the same dangers the data drives themselves can be exposed to, such as ransomware, current surges or voltage spikes that blow through any surge protection you might have, theft, natural disaster, user error (face it we all make mistakes), etc. For data to be reasonably safe, it must exist in three separate places. Any drive connected to the computer and powered up, either internally or externally, is considered to be part of the computer, not a separate place.
AndyMH wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:33 pm ...
I use Windwoes simply to operate my scanner.
Assuming we are talking a document scanner, you should be able to use it under linux. If you are struggling start a new post. If you have tried and failed, try vuescan. If it won't work with vuescan it won't work. It is not free, but to me worth every penny. You can try it for free. Again a recommendation that has been studiously ignored whenever I have made it in the past.
I heartily agree about VueScan. It indeed is well worth the money. And Mr. Hamrick's support for it is as good as yours is for Foxclone. After trying it for free, I recommend getting the Pro version even though it costs more.
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

We'll agree to disagree with freefilesync :) , but you are the only other person I know on the forum who uses vuescan. Whenever I suggest it, I get a stiff ignoring, probably because you have to pay for it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 am We'll agree to disagree with freefilesync :) , but you are the only other person I know on the forum who uses vuescan. Whenever I suggest it, I get a stiff ignoring, probably because you have to pay for it.
I tried the Trial Version, and ooh lala, it works like a Champ....
Now I have to figure out if I want to fork over $39.95 for it, probably will, because Scanners are a PITA.

I have a very old and Tiny little USB pocket scanner that you can feed full size sheets of paper thru it, name brand is NEAT, but it is on my Win7 Desktop, and is one of the Primary Reasons that Win7 pc still exists.

gotta to get it and see if Vuescan can see it?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

VueScan does not see this Neat brand Scanner

but neither does the LM20.3 Document Scanner
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:50 am VueScan does not see this Neat brand Scanner
but neither does the LM20.3 Document Scanner
Try gscan2pdf. It is in the software manager.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:50 am VueScan does not see this Neat brand Scanner
You could try asking Hamrick, their support is pretty good, it may be the same as some other model.

I've had vuescan for well over 10 years, long before I came over from the dark side.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am ...I've had vuescan for well over 10 years, long before I came over from the dark side.
Curious. One reason you gave gave why you don't like FreeFileSync--"Freefilesync is a windows application ported to linux" and is not a native Linux utility-- seems to be contradicted by your admission that you apparently used Vuescan in Windows before switching over to Linux. :wink:

Anyroad, Maxwell-J said he tried the Unison you recommended for file syncing and he was apparently happy with it so all's good.

There are times when it seems Linux users are obsessed with FOSS, mostly the Free part of it. There are times when paid software is superior to anything that is free and, in those cases, I don't have a problem paying for the software as long as I'm nor essentially renting it.

Vuescan is an example of paid software that you don't rent. It has a lifetime license and receives support for life. Even the more expensive pro version is a bargain when you consider that.

Another paid software I feel was worth the price is Qoppa's PDF Studio Pro. While a version of it will no longer receive free feature updates after the next version comes out, you still can safely use your current version for as long as you want.
Jeannie

Return to “Software & Applications”