Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kris345
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Foxclone - linux image backup, restore & clone

Post by Kris345 »

I wanted to put this to a more rigorous test, esp as I have a friend that has a messed up disk and a non-messed up older disk and needs a backup tool.

So I used foxclone to backup(of course I paralleled with cz), and then restore my UEFI/GPT mixed linux/win ssd. It is fairly snappy in both directions, maybe 10-20% faster than cz. 500GB sammy ssd to 2TB something (hitachi?) attached through 4 port Sabrent extension to sabrent external sata HD (usb3/sata3). approx 250mb/s for the external spindle and approx 570mb/s for the internal ssd if I recall correctly. backup speeds ran about 5g/min. Typical.

One thing I noticed, twice, on the restore - I had my backup stored on a 1TB ext4 partition inside a folder - so I clicked on the folder, then clicked on the backup folder and it bounced me up one directory level. tried it again and worked fine. That happened twice as I quit and came back in to foxclone (all the same foxclone boot(40.02) ) to try it again - same thing - double click on folder and it shows contents, double click on backup folder and it pops up 1 level. double click on folder and it shows contents, double click on backup folder and it proceeds as it should. Minor. but noted.

EDIT : I just looked at that partition and I see that when I told it to create a folder under the first folder it DID NOT. it put the backup there. This is inconvenient as it means that my 1TB partition will have each foxclone backup in a separate top level folder. Or am I doing something wrong?

I did have one anomaly where on first boot after restore I got a grub message "system bootloader not found". it did its thing and booted fine into mint20, back out and in and menu was normal. boot to win10 was fine. so perfect. I suspect the boot anomaly was caused by:
Yesterday I tried out linux mx (friend's fault) ;) - nice but not interested so I deleted the partition - bad move - boot repair does this nicely and had to use boot repair to get my ssd back to functioning order. which it did. HOWEVER, when I was booting up to foxclone I noticed there was an MX entry in the boot order. Shouldn't have been. So I did the foxclone backup and restore, came back, removed the MX entry, and then booted. Poor thing was confused. Not a prob. My bad.

So I will use this. Many thanks!!!!!!!!!! :D
-- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz. Dual Boot UEFI/GPT x64: Mint 20 Cinnamon, Win10. 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. --
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I create the folder for FoxClone in Advance on the root drive.

I name then direct FoxClone to use that Folder.
I also used Macrium Reflect previously to FoxClone, so that ASUS_FX705 folder was made by MR.
this is a habit that I formed decades ago, because I have used many Image backup utilities, and had to make a text document inside each main folder describing what app created that image. the file names are not always useful that way.

Backup names.png
Backup names.png (15.36 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Folder view.png

if you look close, you will that my right hand was not on Home Position when I named that backup, I can change the name after the fact easily though. Has no effect on the image itself.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kris345
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kris345 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:58 pm
I create the folder for FoxClone in Advance on the root drive.

I name then direct FoxClone to use that Folder.
I also used Macrium Reflect previously to FoxClone, so that ASUS_FX705 folder was made by MR.
this is a habit that I formed decades ago, because I have used many Image backup utilities, and had to make a text document inside each main folder describing what app created that image. the file names are not always useful that way.

Backup names.png

Folder view.png

if you look close, you will that my right hand was not on Home Position when I named that backup, I can change the name after the fact easily though. Has no effect on the image itself.
exactly - one top level folder for each backup you do, instead of having a folder that contains all your foxclone backups. not using the directory system.

one foxclone backup:
Screenshot from 2020-08-20 19-45-09.png
top level:
Screenshot from 2020-08-20 20-10-35.png
clonezilla has a bunch in 1 folder - less top level clutter!
Screenshot from 2020-08-20 20-12-52.png
-- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz. Dual Boot UEFI/GPT x64: Mint 20 Cinnamon, Win10. 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. --
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

I prefer to keep my backups totally separate by date, and I make Notes in the folder to remind me what was installed, and if everything is working like it should.

putting all my eggs in one basket will lead to failure...
had that happen a few years ago on a Win7 PC....
I had to use an Image backup to fix a problem, don't recall the problem, but the Image Restore caused me more grief than if I had just fixed the 'problem'.

missing files for one. I keep 3 backups on separate drives.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kris345
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kris345 »

yes, I have 3 outboard drives for "offsite" backup, but I store the backups in separate folders for each backup app - Macrium, Easeus, Foxclone, Clonezilla, etc etc. can you imagine 20 or 30 backups of all these sprayed on the top level of the directory. I prefer to group them. Much easier to see what I have. that's why the directory tree structure was developed, long before dos3.11 .
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Kris345 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:35 pm
One thing I noticed, twice, on the restore - I had my backup stored on a 1TB ext4 partition inside a folder - so I clicked on the folder, then clicked on the backup folder and it bounced me up one directory level. tried it again and worked fine. That happened twice as I quit and came back in to foxclone (all the same foxclone boot(40.02) ) to try it again - same thing - double click on folder and it shows contents, double click on backup folder and it pops up 1 level. double click on folder and it shows contents, double click on backup folder and it proceeds as it should. Minor. but noted.

EDIT : I just looked at that partition and I see that when I told it to create a folder under the first folder it DID NOT. it put the backup there. This is inconvenient as it means that my 1TB partition will have each foxclone backup in a separate top level folder. Or am I doing something wrong?
Maybe! On holiday so will have a look when I get home. Plan is to issue a V41 in a few weeks time incorporating other users comments. Might be the double click speed set in the iso, vaguely recall something similar from one other user (it's been downloaded nearly 2,000 times) when beta-testing and think I changed it. Note - the way I use it for "real" is I have a 2TB external backup drive, LM19.3 is installed on the backup drive with foxclone installed in it (that's what the deb is for). That way I have a backup & boot drive instead of having to have a backup drive and a separate usb stick to boot foxclone.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:20 am
Note - the way I use it for "real" is I have a 2TB external backup drive, LM19.3 is installed on the backup drive with foxclone installed in it (that's what the deb is for). That way I have a backup & boot drive instead of having to have a backup drive and a separate usb stick to boot foxclone.
Damn, what a slick idea.
But, as my 6tB drive has many years of stuff on it, would have to be very very careful to not mess it up.

Think I will just use a small 120gB that I have on hand to be the "boot device" and then use the 6tB backup drive like normal.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Damn, what a slick idea.
The way I set it up was one 10GB partition for mint (no separate /home) and the rest of the drive one large ext4 partition to store the backups. Got it booting legacy as it's easier than UEFI and my laptops boot legacy anyway.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 am
Damn, what a slick idea.
The way I set it up was one 10GB partition for mint (no separate /home) and the rest of the drive one large ext4 partition to store the backups. Got it booting legacy as it's easier than UEFI and my laptops boot legacy anyway.
for me, my ASUS has a Boot Device menu once I get into BIOS,
F2 to BIOS,
then F8 to select what to boot.

so that will be easy for me to do.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Few other tips:
  • I used the same hostname/username/pwd on the external drive as I do for the main OS, in fact I use the same uname/pwd across all my PCs only changing the hostname = keep it simple, less to remember.
  • I always add labels to partitions I create, e.g. backup, that way it will mount as /media/andy/backup instead of using the UUID = easier to read.
  • If you create the 'big' partition as ext4 with gparted it will be owned by root. To be able to read/write anything other than foxclone backups to it (foxclone runs as root), you need to chown ownership back to you:

Code: Select all

chown -R $USER:$USER /media/andy/backup
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:49 am
Few other tips:
  • I used the same hostname/username/pwd on the external drive as I do for the main OS, in fact I use the same uname/pwd across all my PCs only changing the hostname = keep it simple, less to remember.
  • I always add labels to partitions I create, e.g. backup, that way it will mount as /media/andy/backup instead of using the UUID = easier to read.
  • If you create the 'big' partition as ext4 with gparted it will be owned by root. To be able to read/write anything other than foxclone backups to it (foxclone runs as root), you need to chown ownership back to you:

Code: Select all

chown -R $USER:$USER /media/andy/backup
We think a lot alike, I label my partitions also.

the 'chown' idea had not occurred to me, but once you mentioned it, I immediately realized the "why".

been there, done that, kind of thing.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Most of what I've learnt with linux has been the hard way - by breaking stuff :)
Kris345
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kris345 »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:58 am
Most of what I've learnt with linux has been the hard way - by breaking stuff :)
yeah, me too. when I think about it... if it works, I don't learn anything. If it doesn't, then I have to start thinking. kicking and screaming all the way... ;)
hans123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hans123 »

Without breaking stuff :wink: I learned that while booting my ASUS motherboard with both the clone and the original drive, the clone did not show up in the boot list. Booting without the original was the fix. Probably the ASUS boot manager does not like seeing two drives with same UUID and does not take other drive characteristics into account?
I just wanted to let you know, maybe it helps others with the same issue.
Kris345
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kris345 »

hans123 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:23 am
Without breaking stuff :wink: I learned that while booting my ASUS motherboard with both the clone and the original drive, the clone did not show up in the boot list. Booting without the original was the fix. Probably the ASUS boot manager does not like seeing two drives with same UUID and does not take other drive characteristics into account?
I just wanted to let you know, maybe it helps others with the same issue.
I think that's the auto recognition of your mobo's bios.
Route66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Route66 »

Nice tool, Thank you.

I found it trough the Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... g_software
I did some initial tests: For our Linux servers/desktop(s) I so far use G4L (Ghost for Linux) for many years, works OK, but this tool is more comfortable and fast.
And for Windows: It cloned my 500 GB SSD succesfully in ~17 minutes... which is very fast.

I've a question on backup instead of cloning. On the website it says under Features https://foxclone.com/features.php
Backup any partition on a drive or all of them. Windows and linux partition types, legacy and GPT partition tables. Backups are compressed to save space.
I tried to do that also for a Windows system, booting from the same USB stick I used for successfull cloning, but I encountered that the NTFS disk (2 TB, MSDS partition table) I want to write the backup to was found to be "read only". Tried another NTFS formatted 3TB GPT disk and got the same results.

Is it the current status? Read-only but no write access to NTFS partitions?
Or.. I'm doing something wrong?
Tnx.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks for the link to the wiki - didn't realise it existed, I'll now go and update it. First place I've seen it, if you google 'linux image backup' and click on any of the results - 'best xx image backup for 2020' none of them mention foxclone (or rescuezilla - an updated redo), authors not doing their homework.

Read only - foxclone runs as root* so the files created are owned by root and an 'ordinary' user will see them read only. Destination can be any linux filesystem, e.g. ext4 or ntfs or fat**.

* originally foxclone ran as a standard user, but if the end-user was trying to backup to a partition created with gparted, it would fail. Partitions created by gparted are owned by root (doesn't happen if you create the partition with disks) and you need to chown them back to you. Many end-users are un-aware of this so the simplest solution was to run foxclone as root.

** foxclone automatically splits backup files on a fat partition to overcome the limits on file size.
sanmig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sanmig »

Route66 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:21 am
I tried to do that [backup a(ny) partition] also for a Windows system, booting from the same USB stick I used for successfull cloning, but I encountered that the NTFS disk (2 TB, MSDS partition table) I want to write the backup to was found to be "read only". Tried another NTFS formatted 3TB GPT disk and got the same results.
I’m a bit confused now, esp. by @AndyMH’s reply?

I understand it as “backup to NTFS partition” wouldn’t work because of the NTFS being read only?
But that backup works here and I wouldn’t know how @Route66 could mount a target partition as “read only” booting FoxClone from USB? How to “detect” the read only status, btw.?
--> @Route66, could you please elaborate?
Route66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Route66 »

@AndyMH You're welcome.. Luckily the google results are not always representing the best qualityy..
A lot of those "reviews" are often advertorials for commercial tools.

I did this morning some investigations on the "read only problem for the disks with NTFS partitions I have", which is not the same as "NTSFS does not work ..." for @sanmig a part of your answer.The detection of the failure: Easy... I want sung Foxclone, to make a folder with the "make folder button.." on the mounted disk/partition and when I click OK... I get the message of "read-only file system".

I repeated the tests form this morning and found the same results. I looked in "Disks" and the NTFS partition was really mounted and being a root this was a strange observation and so my original question still stands.

After repeating my experiments I looked up some disks I had that also contained an NTFS partition.

• The obvious ones: The 2 SSD's I used for cloning.... both NTFS based partition (msdos partition table)

=> Result: NO problem to make a folder on the other SDD and make my backup.

• Another 2TB hard disk disk with NTFS based partition (msdos partition table)
=> Result: Failed....

• Another 3TB hard disk disk with ONE NTFS partition, and a FAT partition and a EXT3 or 4 (must check this)
This experiment disk was in use with an HSF+ (for MacOS, Hackingtosh as my son had severe disk problem with his Macbook Pro and we did not have a spare MB Pro for a longer time here to study the problem disk. So I've built a Hackingtosh system that solved the problem/saved all data.)
After this I did some MX-Linux experiments combining EXT3/4 with NTFS and FAT.
=> Result: No problem to make backups on the NTFS partition.

• An old USB external 40GB hard disk with NTFS based partition (msdos partition table)
=> Result: Worked....

Ergo: There is no clear picture what might be the cause...

How to go further?
Will backups the problem disks and see after formatting using different tools if the problem still will exist.
The problem disks were all formatted under Win10, but the SSD's too... so thats a weak defense...
The backing up will take some time.
I will comeback when I've something to report or if there is interesting input here on the forum.
sanmig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sanmig »

Route66 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:51 am
The backing up will take some time.
OK, thanks.
No need tu hurry, we still have years to come 8)

So the issue is limited to one drive with 2TB, single NTFS partition?
And to the “make folder” function within FoxClone?
Could the NTFS capacity limit be part of the problem?
See: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/hard-di ... -limits/4/
... But you could write the backup without creating a folder (or create the folder before)?

Return to “Software & Applications”