Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Foxclone - linux image backup, restore & clone

Post by Finston Pickle »

AndyMH, please help.

I do, when the usb HDD that I use for cloning is full, use disks or other to format the drive and start over. Will this acion create a partition on the HDD? How do I create one if one is not there? Note, I will not be using usb sticks with Foxclone and I want to clone my set up with no compression - is compression1 no compression, if not what is?

As I said earlier, my laptop is to a ext4 format and it seems logical to use ext4 on my usb HDD when using Foxclone. Will this cause problems with Foxclone? If so, can I clone my ext4 laptop to my usb HDD formatted to NFTS?

Thanks in anticipation
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Not sure how to respond because I think you are getting confused about a number of topics.
I do, when the usb HDD that I use for cloning is full, use disks or other to format the drive and start over. Will this acion create a partition on the HDD? How do I create one if one is not there?
If the HDD is getting full, just delete files to make space. You can use disks (or gparted) to delete and create partitions if you want, but this will delete everything on the partition and you have to manually recreate a new partition, disks will not do it automatically.
Note, I will not be using usb sticks with Foxclone and I want to clone my set up with no compression - is compression1 no compression, if not what is?
How do you want to use foxclone without a usb stick?

You are mixing up backup with clone. If you clone a drive it makes the target drive an exact copy of the source drive. Compression is only relevant to a backup where foxclone is storing an image of the source partition in a backup file. If you want to turn compression off then uncheck the box next to "Compress backup files".
As I said earlier, my laptop is to a ext4 format and it seems logical to use ext4 on my usb HDD when using Foxclone. Will this cause problems with Foxclone? If so, can I clone my ext4 laptop to my usb HDD formatted to NFTS?
When you are doing a backup, foxclone will save backup files to partitions that are formatted ext4, ntfs or fat32. There is no advantage in saving backups to an ext4 partition compared to an ntfs partition.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

Hi and thanks AndyMH.

I have updated to the latest 42-04 .deb and iso and also read the comprehensive guide. So good to go!

I am intending to use the iso on a DVD and to clone my set up, which is on my laptop's 500 Gb HDD. I have a 1 tetrabyte usb HDD and I would lke to have the clone on one ~500 Gb element and a backup of /home on the other ~500 Gb portion.

The dilema to me is how do I prepare the 1 Tb usb HDD? It currently holds the version of my original set up, as created be Clonezilla, of a single partition with everything on it, some unallocated space, a swap partition and a large unallocated space. The first unallocated space came from shrinking things so they would fit on my laptop.

It is formatted to ext4 and uses the MBR partition table, as does my laptop - I think (I wonder how you confirm this).

My laptop has a 1 Gb partition 3 at the start of the HDD, a 495 Gb partition 1 for the filesystem, a 4.2 Gb extended partition 2, which in turn holds a 4.2 Gb Swap partition 5 and finally free space of 1.1 Mb, unallocated, I guess. It seems to come to more than 500 Gb to me, but that is what disks says.

I don't wish to cock things up, but I can see no way forward from what I have read in the guide. Could you help again, please.
LastBucsfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LastBucsfan »

This looks really nice. I am still looking for a disk backup utility that offers encryption, incremental and synthetic backups in order to move my backup tasks from Windows 10 to Linux though. Is there anything with those features available yet?
AMD Ryzen 3700X / XFX Radeon 5700 XT / ASUS ROG B550-F Motherboard / GSkill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3600 / WD Black SN750 NVMe 500gb x2 RAID0 [Windows 10] / Crucial BX500 240gb SSD [Linux Mint 20] / WD Blue 4TB x2 RAID0 [Storage] / WD Black 8TB External [Backup]
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

No, if you want all of those, the only package I think that does it in linux is veeam:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
It is a commercial package, but there is a free version (don't know what the functionality is). It's a while since I looked at it (and only briefly), assume the windows version offers a pretty GUI, in linux it is terminal but using ncurses, so a slightly better user interface than clonezilla.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Finston Pickle:
With your usb HDD plugged in, open up a terminal and run sudo parted -l, that's lowercase L. Post the output - include the output within code markers (the </> button above the reply window- makes it easier to read), or probably better, PM me. This will tell me exactly how your drives are partitioned and how best to use foxclone.

You will see in the parted output what partition table type is being used, e.g.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WDS240G2G0A- (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos    <<<<<<<<<msdos = legacy = mbr
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  608MB   607MB   primary   ntfs
 2      608MB   61.8GB  61.2GB  primary   ntfs
 3      61.8GB  72.3GB  10.5GB  primary   ext4            boot
 4      72.3GB  97.5GB  25.2GB  extended
 5      72.3GB  84.9GB  12.6GB  logical   ext4
 6      84.9GB  93.3GB  8389MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
You can also find out using disks, select the drive on the left pane and it will tell you in the right pane what the partition table is. In gparted, you can view > device information to see the same.

Note - will take me a few days to get back to you. Got some fencing that's blown down in the wind (posts rotted) that I need to fix.
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

Is Foxclone a GUI frontend for another Engine like FSarchiver or PartClone?
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

A front end for partclone
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:30 am
A front end for partclone
I'll give it a go sometime as i've stopped using CloneZilla as it's really started to annoy me doing freaky things to my restored image.

Both stable and testing are resetting the volume level back to default and changing the system language and keyboard layout from UK to USA.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

FoxClone has been a lifesaver for me
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Route66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Route66 »

Update of my experiences:
Cloning:
  • Works excellent, I've tried EXT4 and NTFS to another disk. Great/fast.
Backup:
  • For Foxclone works great when both the source and target are both EXT4. Extremely fast (happy.....)
    For Windows (on NTFS) making backups to EXT4 backup target disk: Great too/fast.
    For Windows (on NTFS) making backups to NTFS backup target disk: Extermely slow. It starts at 10GB/min but after more thans 5 hrs... I stopped it at 0.1 or less GB/min.
I've tried to read on this writing speed under Linux and found quite some suggestions as it was more often a problem when ntfs-3g is used (correct?).
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8
Did not find THE answer to my search.

Making backups to EXT4 seems ok, but..... it is quite inconvenient as Win10 cannot read/write directly to EXT4.
A work around could be to connect that EXT4 backup disk to a small R-Pi system and make use of the installed Webdav unde Apache and make the R-Pi share available to the Windows machine... This will work at home... but the moment I take my disk with me and work elsewhere on a Win10 PC, I cannot access this particular external hard disk.

Can you comment on it.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I have a 6 TB USB backup drive.

I partitioned it into two halves, NTFS and EXT4.

that gives me all the options I need, Windows is happy, Linux don't care.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I wouldn't use a backup drive for anything other than securely storing backups...
...much less dragging it around with me and using any extra space as a removable storage drive.
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

-- I just tried the foxclone official website..trying to download it and it ends up with this

https://foxclone.com/download/mydloader ... e42-04.iso error 503

Is this domain or site down or no longer in service? I really wanted a simple gui ( as good as clonezilla) system image backup method since allegedly timeshift isn't that. I've used clonezilla in the past, but good grief the whole process is seemingly convoluted and just more complicated than I think it should be. Please help? --
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

The download link works fine for me....
Route66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Route66 »

@AZgl1500
It does depend upon your needs....
My Linux part are 2 data servers... so not working stations where you may need an external backup. These servers are for my son for his documentary photography work (in the world of music.. which is now a real problem with Covis19 :shock: ).
Next to that I'm because of my work & genealogy hobby still on Windows, the moment I can quite the work part I can run the genealogy software in a VM.
So for a yet unknown period to go I want the Windows machines to have external NTFS based disks. I do not want Windows users to have direct contract on the servers as a direct connection might give too much risks to the document servers because of ransomware.
For the servers I now used G4L, which works OK since 2011, but Foxclone could be a faster/ handier replacement.
And as Foxclone is so fast in cloning Windows NTFS disks, after some trials, which was so fast compared to other tools, I was also interested in that part.
Only backing up using Foxclone from NTFS to NTFS drives was very disappointing.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Route66 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:40 pm
@AZgl1500
I can run the genealogy software in a VM.
I've been using ancestris until recently, somebody else pointed me at family historian, runs well under crossover so should work with wine.
Not done any explicit testing on this. Have backed up multiple win10/linux dual boot drives, but to ext4 and have backed up to fat32 (to check that it split files correctly), but can't remember what the source was - probably linux.
sanmig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sanmig »

Route66 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:40 pm
During last week I did some foxclone v42 NTFS (winwoes) backups to 2 different USB 3.0 NTFS drives (rotary, 5 TB one partition).
Source were 1 TB and 2 TB (SSD) drives, notebooks and tower (family, neighbors).
Speed started with 5.5 GB/min, drifted down to 4.8 GB/min (likely CPU overheating),
or started 5.7 GB/min (write cache?), then remained at 5.5 GB/min.
I had slower systems as well, but never below 3 GB/min, target were always the NTFS drives.
Systems had different i5 and i7 CPUs.
The type of data may be a factor, too, as a (DB) server has likely a different filesize compared to a “standard” client machine.
Route66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Route66 »

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:04 pm
I've been using ancestris until recently, somebody else pointed me at family historian, runs well under crossover so should work with wine.
I also tried mine with Wine, it works too. As GD-Win is not maintained anymore, I'm still looking for another prog. So I will look at ancestris, the disadvantage is that it is Java based. so there is a hesitation... . Aldfaer is one of the nice tools, but since their marriage with MyHeritage.... you have to check somewhere in the settings ....that your data are not automatically transferred to MyHeritage.... without a warning during the installation (at least as I've tested).
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... s-National
So i will look further....
Not done any explicit testing on this. Have backed up multiple win10/linux dual boot drives, but to ext4 and have backed up to fat32 (to check that it split files correctly), but can't remember what the source was - probably linux.
I prefer not to go back to FAT32. So if there is for the time being no solution I will use for backup another tool.
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

Hi AndyMH

I tried to PM you but, I guess, I got it wrong. I went to see if you had replied and found no evidence of what I thought that I had sent and of course, consequently, no reply.

So here is what I am trying to do again:

I am intending to use the iso on a DVD and to clone my set up, which is on my laptop's 500 Gb HDD. I have a 1 tetrabyte usb HDD and I would like to have the clone on one ~500 Gb element and a backup of /home on the other ~500 Gb portion.

The dilemma to me is how do I prepare the 1 Tb usb HDD? It currently holds the version of my original set up, as created be Clonezilla, of a single partition with everything on it, some unallocated space, a swap partition and a large unallocated space. The first unallocated space came from shrinking things so they would fit on my laptop.

With my usb HDD plugged in, I opened up a terminal and ran sudo parted -l, that's lowercase L, and got:

Code: Select all

[sudo] password for ubuntu:         
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABF0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

3      1049kB  1050MB  1049MB  primary   ext4
 1      1050MB  492GB   491GB   primary   ext4            boot
 2      492GB   500GB   8466MB  extended
 5      492GB   500GB   8466MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Model: TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

3      1049kB  1050MB  1049MB  primary   ext4
 1      1050MB  492GB   491GB   primary   ext4            boot
 2      496GB   500GB   4173MB  extended
 5      496GB   500GB   4173MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Model: SanDisk SanDisk Ultra (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 31.6GB
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
 1      0.00B  31.6GB  31.6GB  fat32

Firstly, How do I prepare the 1 Tb usb HDD to accept the clone to the first partition and have a second partition for periodic /home back up?

Secondly, can I periodically backup /home to the second partition using Foxclone (I am not certain that Foxclone can select a specific folder for back up) or the Backups app (I’m not certain if Backups can save to a specific partition).

Thanks in anticipation and appologies to those to whom this all looks obvious.

Return to “Software & Applications”