Before you post please read how to get help
SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Libreoffice 6.4.2.2 Cannot Access HELP

Post by SteveR »

nielo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:18 am
You're right deepakdeshp. The reason I switched to the Flatpak version was that Libreoffice messed up its PPA a few weeks ago and my installation got badly corrupted, so I had to purge and switch to the Flatpack version. Having now reverted back, as per your suggestion, the size of the print dialogue is at least slightly smaller so that I can more easily drag it upwrards!
I also had a corruption issue with the PPA. It appeared that everything was subsequently "fixed". However, it seems that at least one problem was not fixed. Attempting to access LibreOffice "help" results in the following error message: "Object not accessible. The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights.". There is also a post on Ask LibreOffice: Libreoffice Help not accessible. I submitted a bug report. One person responded that the error may be with the PPA and not the (direct) fault of LibreOffice. Any further insight into this? Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Last edited by SteveR on Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Libreoffice 6.4.2.2 Cannot Access HELP

Post by deepakdeshp »

Dis you apply the latest update? I don't have the problem though I use the ppa.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

In theory, yes. ---> Version: 6.4.2.2 -Build ID: 1:6.4.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.3. I do use the PPA. As noted by @nielo the PPA had some failures. The PPA has not reported any recent updates so I can't tell if the problem has been "fixed" at the PPA level. On one computer I removed and then reinstalled LibreOffice, but still have that problem.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

Reviewing the cited thread. On one computer I used terminal to totally purge LibreOffice. I also found some residual stuff to remove with Synaptic. I removed the PPA. So, on that one computer, I am back to the version of LibreOffice that came with Mint 19.3. Accessing "HELP" works again. I am back to LibreOffice Version 6.0.7.3 on that computer. How To Uninstall LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04 / Ubuntu 16.04

In the meantime, I looked-up the LibreOffice "Release Plan". It would appear that version 6.4.3 (the next update) would be released during the week of April 13, 2020. I would expect that there would be a time delay in getting this update onto the PPA. This creates the option (opportunity) of waiting for the next release to see if the current problems are resolved.

LibreOffice PPA: LibreOffice Fresh

Since accessing "HELP" is not a major concern and everything else in LibreOffice appears to be working correctly, I anticipate just waiting till the next update is released.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

You are right. Libre office help doesn't work as you have stated.
Regards,
Deepak

SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

Well, sometimes you don't win. The upgrade to Libreoffice Version: 6.4.3.2 became available today through the PPA. Still cannot access the "HELP" function. So the new version did not resolve the issue.
Screen Shot Showing That Help Not Accessible
Screen Shot Showing That Help Not Accessible

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

SteveR wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:42 pm
Well, sometimes you don't win. The upgrade to Libreoffice Version: 6.4.3.2 became available today through the PPA. Still cannot access the "HELP" function. So the new version did not resolve the issue. help.png
Thanks for the update about LO . I didnt get the LO update as I had disabled the PPA in update manager. I enabled it and no the help does not work.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Code: Select all

sudo libreoffice
Eevn this gives the same error. And we need to wait for another release.
Regards,
Deepak

SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:51 am

sudo libreoffice
Next release looks to be on the horizon, once again. " LibreOffice 6.4.4, which should be out at the end of May."

Seems that there is also another alternative available, but I'll pass on it. "Coming more than two months after LibreOffice 6.3.5, the LibreOffice 6.3.6 update is here to provide users of the LibreOffice 6.3 series with one last set of bug and regression fixes. It also aims to improve document compatibility."

LibreOffice 6.3.6 Released as the Last in the Series, More Than 80 Bugs Fixed

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

SteveR wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:48 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:51 am

sudo libreoffice
Next release looks to be on the horizon, once again. " LibreOffice 6.4.4, which should be out at the end of May."

Seems that there is also another alternative available, but I'll pass on it. "Coming more than two months after LibreOffice 6.3.5, the LibreOffice 6.3.6 update is here to provide users of the LibreOffice 6.3 series with one last set of bug and regression fixes. It also aims to improve document compatibility."

LibreOffice 6.3.6 Released as the Last in the Series, More Than 80 Bugs Fixed
Yes I will pass 6.3.6. I will install only those in the papa.
Regards,
Deepak

SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

Once again, there is a new update to LibreOffice 6.4, this time to 6.4.4. LibreOffice 6.4.4 Is Now Available for Download with 98 Bug Fixes.

Coming five weeks after LibreOffice 6.4.3, the LibreOffice 6.4.4 point release is here to address several bugs and other issues reported by the community or discovered by the LibreOffice developers. A total of 98 bugs have been fixed in this update, as documented here and here.

Downloads are now available from the official website, but they’re also coming soon to the stable software repositories of your favorite GNU/Linux distribution.
This update has not yet shown-up as being available from the PPA. Whether it will address the problem of accessing "HELP" is unknown. For now, we wait.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Yes we wait, hoping that the help issue gets resolved.
Or hope in June end
.LibreOffice 6.4.5 is expected to arrive at the end of June
By June end Mint version 20 should be out too.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

6.4.4.2rc2 release is installed via the ppa. Now I can access on line help.
To install off line help run

sudo apt install libreoffice-help-en-us
and you get off line help. Waiting for version 6.4.4 now.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Regards,
Deepak

SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

Fixed. LibreOffice Version Version: 6.4.4.2 can now access on-line help directly.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [SOLVED] Libreoffice 6.4.2.2 Cannot Access HELP

Post by deepakdeshp »

And even off line help too as per my previous Post.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Software & Applications”