SOLVED regex works in Komodo Edit but not sed (2 questions)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED regex works in Komodo Edit but not sed (2 questions)

Post by sadhu »

1. I'm editing some extraneous <span>...</span> tags out of a group of around 4000 web pages. As there are lots of other search/replacements to do, I'm using a bash script that cntains a lot of sed commands.

The text I want to change looks something like this:

Code: Select all

some text, more text <span class="var" title="some-title" id="note56">SAVE THIS</span> main text resumes
I want the final result to look like this "some text, more text SAVE THIS main text resumes".

This command in the bash script doesn't work:*

sed -i -re 's,<span class="var" title=".*?">(.*)</span>,\1,g' webpage.html
* what I mean by "doesn't work": the bash script (containing only the above sed command) produces no change in the html file, but it works fine in komodo edit.

2. Also I tried to make the regex command "non-greedy" so that it would stop at the first </span>, but nothing I tried worked (in Komodo Edit, anyway).

So could someone help me to make a non-greedy sed regex replacement command that would stop at the the first instance of "</span>"?

Thanks
-sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.3-64 Cinn 4.4.8, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:ASUS, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: regex works in Komodo Edit but not sed (2 questioins)

Post by xenopeek »

sed doesn't have non greedy matching as far as I recall.

Assuming there can be no double quote in the title and there won't be html elements inside the span elements, you can emulate non greedy matching as such:
sed -i -re 's,<span class="var" title="[^"]*">([^<]*)</span>,\1,g' webpage.html

I don't know why it doesn't work from the bash script. Trying calling it with bash -x script where you replace script with the filename of your script, to run it with debug enabled.

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: regex works in Komodo Edit but not sed (2 questioins)

Post by sadhu »

Thank you very much! :D
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.3-64 Cinn 4.4.8, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:ASUS, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: SOLVED regex works in Komodo Edit but not sed (2 questions)

Post by sadhu »

sed does allow a deletion of all lines between a couple of patterns, which I found to be VERY handy.

sed -i '/pattern1/,/patern2/d' filename
This deletes the line containing pattern1 down to and including the line that contains pattern2.

-sadhu

Return to “Software & Applications”