Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED Column numbers in kate

Post by sadhu »

Working with sed, I sometimes get a message that says there's an error starting in column X of the sed command.

I can find column X in xed or gedit, but I can't seem to find a column indicator in kate.

Is there some way to turn on a line:column indicator in kate? Line numbers, yes, but column?

Thanks
Sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.3-64 Cinn 4.4.8, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:ASUS, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Column numbers in kate

Post by xenopeek »

You mean a ruler? No, Kate doesn't have a ruler. The line and column are shown for the cursor position and that's the only column indicator (bottom left in screenshot) that Kate gives you I think.

You can do this with the terminal editor nano: nano -J column filename where you replace column with the column number and filename with the filename to edit, will put a guidestripe on that column.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Column numbers in kate

Post by sadhu »

<sound of palm slapping forehead> :mrgreen:

Getting blind. Just didn't see it, after looking and looking and looking.

Once I lost my spectacles, looked all over for them, then spotted them, in the mirror, pushed up on my forehead.

sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.3-64 Cinn 4.4.8, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:ASUS, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

Return to “Software & Applications”