Before you post please read how to get help
gother
Level 1
Level 1

limited search engines for firefox ?!

Post by gother »

I guess this won't need a screen shot or whatsoever
https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
why in the name of heavens does this exists in an opensource project?
since when the limitations are part of the freedom? :? :?
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: limited search engines for firefox ?!

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gother.

You seem to misunderstand completely what the message of the linked webpage is.
It does not tell you that you were limited to using the listed search engines in Firefox. It merely tells you which search engines come pre-installed and why.
You are totally free to add any old search engine, which you want, like this irrelevant search engine offered by this unknown startup company of Google e.g. Or you may also add Yandex, if you absolutely have to.
Firefox permits you to perform such outrageous operations like adding search engines to your Firefox. (Preferences => Search => Add search engines)

So what is your complaint precisely, please?

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
gother
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gother »

Hello Karl

my complaint is that there isn't an add button to add any other search engine but just one to remove it and the link to the webpage I have already mentioned in the post

https://pasteboard.co/J4oO3TV.png
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

gother wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:38 am
why in the name of heavens does this exists in an opensource project?
since when the limitations are part of the freedom? :? :?
I may be missing your point but there are no limitations in Mint in terms of either browsers or search engines.
DuckDuckGo and Yahoo are partners (sponsers ?) with Mint I am not sure about the others. This topic came up in the past by another forum member related to the fact that they discovered PIA VPN is a Mint partner. Although my comment below is relative to PIA it holds for the search engine partners as well. And although the circumstances on how they are provided are not exactly the same the principle is in that you are free to use any search engine you prefer. For the record I use PrivateTunnel VPN (not a Mint sponsor) and StartPage.com (not a Mint sponsor) as my search engine. Also I donate a meagre $2/month to Mint via PayPal which is literally nothing compared to the value I and my family gain from Mint so I for one am grateful for Mint partners.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=307345&hilit=partners
majpooper wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:03 pm
. . . . when it comes to sponsorship [partners] I do have an opinion. We (I use the collective we here - meaning the entire Mint community) all enjoy and get way more value from Mint than what I dare say on average we contribute. I know several Mint user who contribute zero, nada, nothing so there is that. This fabulous OS does not get developed and maintained without a cost. To keep the Mint project alive and robust it needs donations - and maybe even a corporate sponsor or two. So it is not a matter of having a corporate sponsor but rather what the trade off is for that sponsorship (read $$$$). If PIA donates significant $$$ to help the Mint project and in return their user interface is made available in the repositories [or search engines are a default in the default web browser] and meets the same standards for security and privacy as the rest of the software in the repositories I don't see that as a threat and certainly not unethical or immoral. Mint is up front that PIA is a sponsor [as they are with all sponsers] and does not load PIA software by default, certainly not like I remember MS doing back eons ago when I had to use Windows. I don't even recall ever seeing Mint recommend PIA over other VPNs other than to mention they are a partner/sponser. No Mint user is tricked or coerced or in any way made to use the PIA VPN or become a paying PIA customer but we all benefit from PIA's generous donations - don't we? So in the end I think Clem and the Mint project are handling the PIA sponsorship openly, honestly and without fault.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

gother wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:05 pm
Hello Karl

my complaint is that there isn't an add button to add any other search engine but just one to remove it and the link to the webpage I have already mentioned in the post

I understand your complaint but it is just not reasonable let alone practical to include every single search engine that exists. They include ones that have been tested and are known to be safe. It is up to us to decide if we would rather choose something different - I choose StartPage for example.

If there is a search engine that you want to use and you are not sure how to added then that is a different issue that can be easily resolved.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gother.
gother wrote:
2 lines below the list of installed search engines, there is a line which reads Find more search engines. In fact it is a link. Click on this line.
(On of the few cases where the German translation, "Weitere Suchmaschinen hinzufügen" [engl.: Add more search engines], seems to be clearer than than genuine English text, "Find more search engines")

HTH,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
gother
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gother »

Thanks Karl
issue solved
but I hope if anyone can just add that part to the top of the page because I actually clicked the link many times before and this time I barely noticed the icons as they were too small.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

gother wrote:
Hello Karl

Dude, scroll down to the bottom of the page YOU linked and find "OTHER ENGINES" with the following instructions "Some of the most popular engines were added above. To add one of them, click on its logo." Maybe the problem isn't Firefox or Mint.
EDIT: Once you add a search engine, you still have to go to Firefox Preferences and select it as your default engine. Just as you would regardless of the OS you might be running. If you need help installing a specific search engine, perhaps that should have been the topic of your post, rather than an unwarranted Mint bash.
Last edited by JoeBingo on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gother
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gother »

@JoeBingo don't get me started, please.
were you expecting me to expect that at the bottom of the webpage lecturing about privacy and freedom there is a banner with some 16x16 icons that says press on its logo to add the search engine? were you?

yeah issue is not with mint or firefox problems can get solved, the whole issue with the people who have attitude like yours.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

gother wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 pm
@JoeBingo don't get me started, please.
were you expecting me to expect that at the bottom of the webpage lecturing about privacy and freedom there is a banner with some 16x16 icons that says press on its logo to add the search engine? were you?

yeah issue is not with mint or firefox problems can get solved, the whole issue with the people who have attitude like yours.
Thanks for the confirmation !!! Yeah, I do see the problem more clearly now. :D
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Yawn. Stop it, please, guys. Personal attacks are so utterly boring and unproductive.
Possible that the layout of the linked webpage leaves room for improvement.
Possible, too, that who cares to read the whole page carefully will spot the relevant information on how to add more search engines nonetheless.
In any case it should have been cleared up now how to add more search engines to your Firefox. Right?!
If not, then let me mention that the Mozilla Firefox website holds a lot of helpful articles on how to do things in Firefox.
jp14
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jp14 »

lock down blues ... :mrgreen:
LM 19.3 Xfce

Cause I like things neat and simple

Return to “Software & Applications”