Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] LM19.3 Menu right-click "Add to panel" doesn't work as I expect

Post by sadhu »

This is a brand-new re-installation of LM 19.3.

I am running Panel Launchers applet on the left side of my bottom panel, and the standard Window List in the center, and System Tray on the right.

In the main (standard cinn) menu I right-click an app (such as Calculator), select "Add to panel", the panel blinks, and icons for terminal, firefox, and nemo appear on the right, down next to the system tray. The only way I can figure out how to add apps to the panel lancher is ... manually!

When I'm running either of the 'grouped windows' applets, when I click 'Add to panel' the icon appears on the grouped list, 'pinned' there. So if an application icon appears on the grouped list (in the middle of the panel) I can't tell running from pinned applications.

Do I have to manually add launchers to the panel launcher?

(If I sound like I'm grumbling, I've spent over an hour trying everything to get it to work like it did in 19.2, 19.1, 18.3, and earlier.)

-sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.3-64 Cinn 4.4.8, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:ASUS, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LM19.3 Menu right-click "Add to panel" doesn't work as I expect

Post by LanceM »

There are several things you can try.
1. right click the panel>applets>download tab>let it update the cache, then back to the manage tab. At the bottom click the curved arrow.
2. right click the panel>troubleshoot>restart cinnamon
3. If the above doesn't help you can run this command, but be forewarned, it will set most of your cinnamon settings to default, like single mouse click, or other nemo settings, plus the panel will mostly reset. Yo'll have to put it back like you want it.

Code: Select all

dconf reset -f /
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Sounds like you are being bitten by this long standing bug - https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/8390

It should be easy to workaround. Immediately after removing a Grouped Window List and adding a Panel launcher applet (or vie-versa) restart Cinnamon with Ctrl-Alt-Esc before trying Add to panel.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

thanks
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.3-64 Cinn 4.4.8, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:ASUS, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

Return to “Software & Applications”