Before you post please read how to get help
donnstewart
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Evolution email - error message

Post by donnstewart »

xenopeek wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:31 am
I suspect that those with issues don't have the packages evolution-data-server-online-accounts and/or libnss3-nssdb installed. Could anyone with the problem confirm? You can search for these packages in Synaptic Package Manager or on the terminal run the following and check the first two characters on each line, 'ii' means its installed:
dpkg -l evolution-data-server-online-accounts libnss3-nssdb

Whichever of the 2 isn't installed go ahead and install it in Synaptic or from the terminal with:
apt install evolution-data-server-online-accounts
apt install libnss3-nssdb
Again, for the record, I have the issue. The dpkg command shows evolution-data-server-online-accounts installed, and libnss3-nssdb not found by apt. This is the same as reported by wpshooter.

I added my "me too" to the Launchpad Ubuntu Evolution bug report for this issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1876286
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

wpshooter wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:24 am
If I would download 18.3 and run it from a USB live version could I test Evolution on that live version
to see if the receive function would work correctly on my AOL email account ?
Don't do that. Somebody else in the topic had 18.3 and the same issue, showing an error for a file that comes from package libnss3-nssdb. You don't need to retest on 18.3.

The only useful test remaining is to install the Flatpak of Evolution.
geoffreycompnovice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geoffreycompnovice »

This situation has me baffled.

I have four POP accounts which come into one inbox on Evolution, 3 are AOL accounts and one gmail. The gmail account works fine, aol comes up with the error message

This morning I made a test by going to preferences and unchecking one of the AOL accounts and adding a new account with the same address. It set up the new account as an imapx account using port 993 rather than port 995 used by the POP account, and created a new inbox, trash, etc. for the account. The new email from aol was sucked into that new space as well as all the trash which had been visible when I looked at the inbox and trash via aol on Firefox. From this new account, I am able to move the important emails to the "Saved on My PC" folders in which I keep important messages.

The problem is that I want all emails from the four active accounts to come into one inbox as it worked prior to the other day rather than going to 4 separate inboxes. I don't know if this can be done. I am a total novice as to all of this and don't know the difference between POP and IMAPX. I only access email from my pc and gather that IMAPX is for people who access mail from more than one source,

Is there an easy fix a novice could do to accomplish my goal of 4 accounts in one inbox??? HELP!!!
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

POP3 is the older email protocol and is short for 'post office protocol' and was first specified in 1984, IMAP is newer and is 'Internet Message Access Protocol'. IMAP is now the one more generally used. Port 993 is the standard IMAP port for a secure SSL/TLS connection, whereas port 995 is the same but for POP3. The key difference is that the default way POP3 was usually set up was to download emails to your PC and delete the copy on the server. IMAP default is the other way round, the email is kept on the server (so it is their problem to avoid data loss), a local copy is maintained in the evolution cache, but it's a temporary copy. If you have multiple devices, e.g. PC and phone, IMAP is better because you can access your email from both.

I'm guessing, but the only way I can think of you having four accounts in the same 'inbox' was that you were using POP3 and downloading all emails to the same folder. Other than that, I've no idea how to do it. I've got four accounts running in evolution, all IMAP and all with their own inboxes. Last time I used POP3 was over three years ago and that was with thunderbird.

Could this problem with AOL be as simple as them stopping support for POP3?
Last edited by AndyMH on Sat May 02, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

AndyMH wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:28 pm
Yes, I wondered that same thing. But you would think that the people answering the phones at AOL, etc.
would have enough brains to tell you that.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

wpshooter wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:35 pm
AndyMH wrote:
Yes, I wondered that same thing. But you would think that the people answering the phones at AOL, etc.
A test would be to see if the same AOL account connecting using POP3 worked in thunderbird as it seems to work with IMAP in evolution.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
leftyleo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leftyleo »

wpshooter wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:50 pm
May I ask if anyone who is having this problem with Evolution not being able to receive emails
are using email services from any provider other than AOL who several years ago took over
email accounts which formerly belonged to/serviced by Verizon ?

Thanks.
Mine is formerly verizon .. i have issuse occasionally. But it it wprking fine on my cell phone.
So i am assuming it is an Evolution problem (or settings, though i have not changed anything)

I am going to go back with time shift to sat 25th when this started ..been chasing it for a while now
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

AndyMH wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 pm
wpshooter wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:35 pm
AndyMH wrote:
A test would be to see if the same AOL account connecting using POP3 worked in thunderbird as it seems to work with IMAP in evolution.
How did you get it to work with IMAP in Evolution. I believe that I tried that while I had AOL on the phone a day or two
ago and could not get it to work either. What parameters need to be used with IMAP. I believe that we tried the settings
as shown on the AOL help site and they would not work.

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
LinuxStuff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxStuff »

The error we are getting indicates a certificate problem. I have all my email account on 3 computers. Gmail, Yahoo, ATT and Yahoo Small business. It appears from posts that Yahoo, ATT, AOL and Yahoo Small business are being handled by one mail provider, correct? The 3 computers that have all my mailboxes are setup similarly Send = SMTP over TLS (465) and Receive = POP over TLS (995). 2 computers run Win 10, one with Outlook 2013 and one with Thunderbird. There are no issues with these computers. I'm running a Fedora 28 computer with Evolution 3.28.5 (3.28.5-3.fc28) which is having the issue. I'm wondering if the newer certs. are included with the new Flatpak version of Evolution which "fixes" the problem. I'll try to see what I can find in a WireShark trace.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

LinuxStuff wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:28 am
It appears from posts that Yahoo, ATT, AOL and Yahoo Small business are being handled by one mail provider, correct? [...] I'm wondering if the newer certs. are included with the new Flatpak version of Evolution which "fixes" the problem.
1) Yes AT&T and AOL both use Yahoo mail as their mail platform.

2) Have you already tried the Flatpak version and did it work? I've yet to hear from somebody that has the problem that tried it with Flatpak.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

xenopeek wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:09 am
LinuxStuff wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:28 am
It appears from posts that Yahoo, ATT, AOL and Yahoo Small business are being handled by one mail provider, correct? [...] I'm wondering if the newer certs. are included with the new Flatpak version of Evolution which "fixes" the problem.
1) Yes AT&T and AOL both use Yahoo mail as their mail platform.

2) Have you already tried the Flatpak version and did it work? I've yet to hear from somebody that has the problem that tried it with Flatpak.
If all of this email problem is from some type of software authorization/certificate problem, then the question that arises in my mind is how is it possible for
this certification be allowed to expire (run out) without being renewed before the expiration date ? Is someone asleep at the wheel ? Are there not safeguards
in place to keep this from happening ?

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
Galaxie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Galaxie »

As stated above I'm on ATT (which is Yahoo). This might not qualify as a fix but I created a new profile using IMAP for incoming server and now Evolution works. I wonder if some of the email providers have totally abandoned POP?
LinuxStuff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxStuff »

I didn't install the latest version of Evolution from Flatpak. It's good to hear there is a work around with IMAP. Does anyone know if the "older" versions of Evolution support TLS 1.2? Also, I don't think that POP was abandoned because Outlook 2013 and Thunderbird work with no changes. I'm looking at some Wireshark traces on the Linux box, I need to check Win 10. I wish we could get in touch with the email provider. They may have stopped letting any auto negotiation between the client and the server that allows a certificate or protocol less than TLS 1.2 to work. That's was a theory. With IMAP working, I'm not so sure.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Galaxie wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:36 am
As stated above I'm on ATT (which is Yahoo). This might not qualify as a fix but I created a new profile using IMAP for incoming server and now Evolution works. I wonder if some of the email providers have totally abandoned POP?
No, this does not really explain it because while the same server and port settings that I have always used for pop on my AOL (formerly Verizon) account will not work under Evolution, those very same server and port settings work just fine when setup on Thunderbird email.

Also, I tried setting up receiving function as IMAP on Evolution and Evolution could not successfully perform the receive email function.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
Bklyngy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bklyngy »

Glad I found this forum. New to Linux. Thunderbird wont connect using POP or IMAP so I went to Evolution which produces TLS error. :x
Ubuntu 18.04
Kernel 5.3.0-7648
Evolution ver 3.28.5
Provider (AT&T / Yahoo)
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Bklyngy wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:29 pm
Glad I found this forum. New to Linux. Thunderbird wont connect using POP or IMAP so I went to Evolution which produces TLS error. :x
Ubuntu 18.04
Kernel 5.3.0-7648
Evolution ver 3.28.5
Provider (AT&T / Yahoo)
Are you using actual "Ubuntu" or are you saying that you are using the Linux Mint version that is based on Ubuntu 18.04 ?

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 mate 64bit version and I was the original person that posted about the problem with Evolution
giving the pop related receiving error. Since then I have installed Thunderbird and it both receives and sends my AOL/former
Verizon email like a champ. Hate to give up on Evolution but it has been problematic off and on for years now !!!

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
andreac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andreac »

wpshooter wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 pm
How do we even know that they are aware of it ? It is practically impossible to get in touch with the people that write this and other Linux based software !!!
This statement is just wrong. https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution clearly explain how and where you can get support. You cannot state that is "practically impossible to get in touch" if you have never tried to get in touch.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I think the first thing they are going to ask is to try with the Flatpak of Evolution. Why is nobody here with the problem willing to try this?

It would confirm:
- it's not a distro package issue
- it's not a distro library issue
- it's not just an issue in obsoleted version from distro repos
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

andreac wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:38 am
wpshooter wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 pm
How do we even know that they are aware of it ? It is practically impossible to get in touch with the people that write this and other Linux based software !!!
This statement is just wrong. https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution clearly explain how and where you can get support. You cannot state that is "practically impossible to get in touch" if you have never tried to get in touch.
Who says I have never tried to get in touch with them ??? The problem is that unless you have "special" inside knowledge of the "interworkings"
of the various elements of this operating system and it's related applications and sundry and various parts, you don't not know all of the jargon that
the developers insist on you relating to them in order for them to even communicate with you about the problem. They will write back saying you did
not do this right and you did not submit this correctly so we are not going to even attempt to lead you thru the process so that they can retrieve info from
a non-developer which would allow them to eventually solve the problem. Most of the people using this OS and its various applications are NOT software
developers or is it supposed to be reserved for only those which did the development of it ? The bug fixing & reporting regiment for Linux needs to be redone so that folks without speciality knowledge can navigate and submit info on a non-formal basis !!!

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
Bklyngy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bklyngy »

Using Ubuntu 18.04, not another distros' version of it. Will look at the FlatPak version as suggested.

Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”