Before you post please read how to get help
donnstewart
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Evolution email - error message

Post by donnstewart »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:44 am
I think the first thing they are going to ask is to try with the Flatpak of Evolution. Why is nobody here with the problem willing to try this?

It would confirm:
- it's not a distro package issue
- it's not a distro library issue
- it's not just an issue in obsoleted version from distro repos
I just installed from Flatpak. The Flatpak installed version is 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org).

And...No problem now! Verizon fetches fine. So it seems that the Flatpak version, being newer, works OK. Thanks for the suggestion. Problem solved!!
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

donnstewart wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:41 am
xenopeek wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:44 am
I think the first thing they are going to ask is to try with the Flatpak of Evolution. Why is nobody here with the problem willing to try this?

It would confirm:
- it's not a distro package issue
- it's not a distro library issue
- it's not just an issue in obsoleted version from distro repos
I just installed from Flatpak. The Flatpak installed version is 3.36.1 (by Flathub.org).

And...No problem now! Verizon fetches fine. So it seems that the Flatpak version, being newer, works OK. Thanks for the suggestion. Problem solved!!
That's great but I don't think that still really explains why the version that comes with / and would be installed on a default version of Linux Mint
which was working just fine until several days ago, just all of a sudden will now no longer retrieve incoming mail. So one day the default version
just got tired and said well I have been doing this long enough, so I am just going to quit today !!! Perhaps this is an example of this artificial
intelligence that we keep hearing about.

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I am not saying whether this problem belongs to AOL/Verizon or whether it belongs to Evolution
but when I can get email from another email application (Thunderbird) from that very same AOL/Verizon
account that tells me that either there is some incompatibility between AOL and Evolution. At this
point I am not sure which. And frankly, it would not surprise me if AOL has not intentionally changed
something so that it is not compatible with Evolution, so that they can sell (for money) paid support
option to the former Verizon email customers which they acquired. Selling you that support plan
is all they seem interested in talking to you about when you call them.

And apparently, it may take an act of congress to get those two to meet in the middle.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
Bklyngy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bklyngy »

Flatpack Evolution Unable to connect to POP server inbound.att.net. Error sending password: Broken pipe. Going to keep using my Mac or Windows 10 for email. It shouldn't be this difficult, regardless of what/who.

Thanks everyone.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

Flatpak - can you add attachments, print emails or is it sandboxed?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

I only recently made the full move to Linux and Mint is what I'm using. I like it.

I started off with Evolution and it worked, but I kept having problems with it. I could have persevered as it did get stuff done but it just kept kicking me in the teeth.

Switched to Thunderbird and I'm glad I did. It's much faster and just seems to work. I have it syncing my calendar and contacts to my apple account via caldav and carddav - needed plugins for this but they work great.

<<edit>>

I see people discussing flatpak evolution versus software manager version above. I was on the flatpak version. I think I tried both but flatpak is what I stuck with until I removed it totally.
Last edited by nn70 on Mon May 04, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bklyngy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bklyngy »

Flatpak Thunderbird worked immediately with ATT/Yahoo POP server. :D
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

I searched the binary for this message. Ultimately, it comes from the gnutls TLS software (at least in Fedora). You can test this by getting the package for gnutls_utils, and running the command gnutls-cli -d 99 -V -p 995 legacy.pop.mail.yahoo.com 2> mylog for instance. It is the test software that comes with gnutls. This fails during the handshake with the error message indicated. That's as much as I know.
:(
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

Let me also add, that my mail retrieval with Evolution didn't work with Ubuntu LTS, either. When I traced the dependencies for evolution, it came to gio module "libgiognutls.so" shared library from a package glib-networking on Fedora. The file in question is gtlsconnection-gnutls.c I have spent a good bit of time, but I will need to leave it to an expert to figure this one out. Right now, I am resorting to "fetchmail" command, and importing the mail box into Evolution as a temporary workaround.
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

Interesting. I, too, can get this to work with SMTP. I've never tried IMAP. But for receiving mail, I've used POP3. That did not work, so perhaps it is the POP server at fault? However, Thunderbird and fetchmail work with the POP3 on this same server. What do you make of that? Still stumped.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

jimbo333 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:23 pm
Interesting. I, too, can get this to work with SMTP. I've never tried IMAP. But for receiving mail, I've used POP3. That did not work, so perhaps it is the POP server at fault? However, Thunderbird and fetchmail work with the POP3 on this same server. What do you make of that? Still stumped.
My experience with the problem seems to duplicate yours. Won't work with Evolution, works like gang-busters on Thunderbird using the very same settings.

Again, could this be a certificate (invalid or expired) problem ? Can anyone tell me what the info on the Certificate parameters under edit/preferences of Evolution are "supposed" to be. There are four tabs.

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

So, to answer B Dewi, you are right to suggest to look for a solution (IMAP) instead of a problem (POP). Yes, IMAP does work (yayyyy), but I'm still looking for the problem!?! Now, fetchmail uses openssl libraries (at least I'm talking Fedora, so, maybe Ubuntu?). evolution uses glib2, which has modules for /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so (again, Fedora path), and the problem child gnutls You could install the command line interface (cli) called gnutls-cli, but I've run it for you in these two files for stdout and stderr (attached in line, I hope):

There are a ton of crypto codes in the list, maybe that's a problem ??
Attachments
log2a.txt
Excerpt from stderr
(10.49 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
log1.txt
stdout
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

For the record (and now I'm giving up), the STARTTLS method for receiving might have worked on port 995, but evolution only lets you put port 110 in the box. I am using as a mail agent what used to be inbound.att.net until everything stopped working around May 1 or April 30, 2020. Now I use pop.mail.yahoo.com, which I think is close to the same thing. I'm not sure it matters, but I know I can get mail from there using fetchmail, which uses the openssl library instead of gnutls.

The logs indicate that a handshake is complete, and a "new session ticket" is issued, with a record length of 6 bytes, but the data portion indicates the ticket is of zero length. (For the IMAP case, the new session ticket length is quite large). Now gnutls _gnutls_recv_new_session_ticket, when it gets this, reports that there is a memory allocation error. I believe I've seen that openssl will do something more intelligent in this case, and continue on.

Since I can't compile this thing, and I don't understand the protocol, I leave it to the gnutls experts. Perhaps newer versions of the software have improved the situation, but judging from the number of people complaining about the error, as well as the absence of web discussion about the problem, that is perhaps unlikely at this point. :(
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Boy, I really find this hard to believe.

All of this, because no one in charge of this OS has moved the latest (version that works - 3.36.1 by Flathub.org) of Evolution from the software manager (sort of goes under the name of Flatpak) over to Synaptic software manager/installer (which has always been my understanding of the preferred / recommended way of installing software on Linux Mint). Which according to the fact that it took about 10 to 20 times as long for Evolution to be installed via software manager/flatpak than via Synaptic, should be done !!!

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
LinuxStuff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxStuff »

Glad the new version works (flatpak.org). :D :D I looked back at my emails and this has happened twice before and I've had to upgrade Evolution because it had issues. I don't have a WireShark trace from when things were working so I can't be sure, but in the past this happens when the ISPs upgrade security on the mail servers. Because Evolution isn't patched on a regular basis like Thunderbird and Outlook you run into occasional problems. What I believe has happened is ISP mail servers have allowed (prior to the this problem) the email client to auto negotiate the TLS connection from 1.2 down to what ever Evolution supported ( I believe 1.0 or 1.1) So what happens is there is a handshake (HELO from the client to the server). There is a short back and forth as they make sure there is they are "talking" on the same level. If Evolution isn't able to to "talk" on TLS 1.2 there is a conversation about can you talk on 1.1. If the server says yes, no problem. If the server says no, error message and no mail. I think the ISPs decided to not let the server and client negotiate the connection to less than TLS 1.2. I haven't installed the new version because a workaround with my firewall allows me to communicate with the servers. Remember browsers are now capable of using TLS 1.3 so at some point this will happen again to email. This probably won't be enforced for a while. This the typical Spy vs Spy type Information Technology conundrum. Things work securely until someone hacks in, then a fix is needed, but you can't upgrade everything at once (all devices in the world..... :D ), so there is a time where things are "compatible" and then the proverbial axe comes down and there is enforcement. I'm not familiar with Mint, I'm running Fedora. I think if I installed the newest Fedora it would come with the newer Evolution and things would be fine. I'm on Fedora 28 and latest release is 32, I think....

The last 2 times this happened, I installed Thunderbird (made sure nothing was deleted from the server) until I could upgrade to the new OS and mail client. Flatpak has allowed simple upgrades.

You could always download the newer Evolution source code and compile it and be good.... If this is something you are interested in. https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution
Been there with other products. May not want to play that game if you aren't into the IT thing.

The good thing to know is that it can almost always be fixed in Linux. Unlike other OS's the code is free and you can do what you want with it. I have mailing lists, a complicated mail system and I probably won't ever change from Evolution. Glad there was an easier fix. If you haven't upgraded follow the Flatpak.org instructions. 2 command line commands and you should be able to update from the website. I did it for the GNU Image Program.
geoffreycompnovice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geoffreycompnovice »

I have used Evolution for many years and apparently have version 3.18.5.2. It was set up so that a number of email accounts went into one inbox, all POP accounts. The enabled accounts included one gmail and three aol accounts. This problem started last week. I suddenly got the error message for the three enabled aol accounts but the enabled gmail account, a POP as stated, retrieved messages with no problem. It still works with no problem as a pop account. I have an old gmail account which was not enabled. It was set up so that when enabled, I would have to enter the password each time, for security purposes. When I enabled it and tried to enter password, it kept telling me to re-enter it as if it were incorrect. It is the correct password and works when I enter it for gmail via Firefox.

In order to retrieve email, I disabled the previously enabled accounts and added them again, but they set themselves up as imapx with no option for pop. This set up new inboxes for each of the new imax aol accounts. This is inconvenient for me, but seems to be the only way I can retrieve email via evolution. Using Firefox would obviously be more inconvenient. I am able to drag the emails I wish to save on my computer to the folders I had previously established prior to last week.

Additionally, I set up a new account for the gmail pop account mentioned above which would not accept the password. It set itself up as imapx with a new inbox, etc. Again, it would not accept the correct password when entered and kept popping back to enter password, so I can therefore not access it via evolution as either pop or imap but have no problem via Firefox using the same correct password.

This is all extremely frustrating and much of the above comments are far beyond my computer knowledge. It is not clear to me whether or not it would be best to backup Evolution, uninstall it, and reinstall it in some way so that I would be able to use it as I did prior to this error problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

LinuxStuff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 am
[...] in the past this happens when the ISPs upgrade security on the mail servers. Because Evolution isn't patched on a regular basis like Thunderbird and Outlook you run into occasional problems. What I believe has happened is ISP mail servers have allowed (prior to the this problem) the email client to auto negotiate the TLS connection from 1.2 down to what ever Evolution supported ( I believe 1.0 or 1.1) [...] I think the ISPs decided to not let the server and client negotiate the connection to less than TLS 1.2.
That sounds like a reasonable suspicion but I'm not sure. When I used https://testssl.sh/ to do a full check with testssl legacy.pop.mail.yahoo.com:995 that shows TLS 1 through TLS 1.3 supported. And in the client simulations it successfully connects using TLS 1.0 for Java6/7 so TLS 1.0 is not entirely disabled. Same results when I test testssl pop.gmail.com:995.

We can't go back in time to compare results with before the issue started. That makes it harder to draw conclusions from this.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

ClawsMail suddenly stopped receiving from bellsouth.net on my desktop but does receive on my cellphone

Post by bearzlos »

Hoping this strangeness is easy to figure out.

I'm using Mint19 64 bit and ClawsMail 3.16.0 on my desktop. About a week ago incoming mail from <myname>@bellsouth.net suddenly stopped and I get this error message:

Connection to inbound.att.net:995 failed.

When I look at the ClawsMail log I see one of two messages:

1) * Account '1Bellsouth': Connecting to POP3 server: inbound.att.net:995...
*** SSL/TLS handshake failed

and then nothing happens.

Or,

2) * Account '1Bellsouth': Connecting to POP3 server: inbound.att.net:995...

and then this second one, identical except for no mention of SSL/TLS handshake, times out.

I am able to send e-mail from bellsouth.net on the desktop.

This account does receive mail on my cellphone -- no problems there. But I can't get any bellsouth.net e-mail on the desktop.

I have not consciously changed any settings for inbound mail in ClawsMail on the desktop. And this is driving me nuts.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Note: Bellsouth tech support tries to be helpful but they only know MS and Mac. :o(

Thanks.
Bearzlos
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed May 06, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged here
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

bearzlos wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:50 pm
I'm using Mint19 64 bit and ClawsMail 3.16.0 on my desktop. About a week ago incoming mail from <myname>@bellsouth.net suddenly stopped and I get this error message:

Hi, I've merged your topic to this one about Evolution as it looks to be the exact same problem. I see your mailserver is with AT&T (inbound.att.net), which in turn is operated by Yahoo mail and on this topic we've found that since a short while all Yahoo mail operated domains (Yahoo mail, AT&T, AOL, Verizon and now also Bellsouth) are giving the same "handshake failed" error with POP3.

A few workarounds have been found that you may try:
  1. Switch to using IMAP instead of POP3 for receiving email.
  2. Replace Claws installed from the Ubuntu 18.04 package base repository used by Linux Mint 19.x with Claws installed from Flathub https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.cl ... Claws-Mail. Command line instructions for installation are on that page but you can also look up Claws in the Flatpak category in Software Manager. Flatpaks are an alternative package format, usable on all Linux distros, which don't depend on system libraries. For Evolution this worked so hopefully it also does for Claws.
  3. Thunderbird is reported to work so (temporarily) using a different email client might be an option.
There is a bug report on Ubuntu for Evolution: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1876286. It would be useful to add Claws-Mail is also affected with Yahoo mail operated domains (Yahoo mail, AT&T, AOL, Verizon, Bellsouth)!
wpshooter wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:25 am
All of this, because no one in charge of this OS has moved the latest (version that works - 3.36.1 by Flathub.org) of Evolution from the software manager (sort of goes under the name of Flatpak) over to Synaptic software manager/installer.
That's how Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint all work—you get stable releases which get security updates for long time but no new feature version updates with a few exceptions (eg, Firefox and on Linux Mint also Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, Mint tools, X-apps and such). Through PPAs, Flatpaks, AppImages and Snaps users can get latest releases of programs, with the latter three including needed system libraries so those can also be newer than are installed in your OS.

Considering the same issue is affecting both Evolution and Claws-Mail, for the same underlying email service Yahoo mail, this doesn't look like an Evolution issue but an issue with one of the system libraries & whatever (if anything) Yahoo mail changed.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

xenopeek wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:42 pm
bearzlos wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi, I've merged your topic to this one about Evolution as it looks to be the exact same problem. I see your mailserver is with AT&T (inbound.att.net), which in turn is operated by Yahoo mail and on this topic we've found that since a short while all Yahoo mail operated domains (Yahoo mail, AT&T, AOL, Verizon and now also Bellsouth) are giving the same "handshake failed" error with POP3.

A few workarounds have been found that you may try:
  1. Switch to using IMAP instead of POP3 for receiving email.
  2. Replace Claws installed from the Ubuntu 18.04 package base repository used by Linux Mint 19.x with Claws installed from Flathub https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.cl ... Claws-Mail. Command line instructions for installation are on that page but you can also look up Claws in the Flatpak category in Software Manager. Flatpaks are an alternative package format, usable on all Linux distros, which don't depend on system libraries. For Evolution this worked so hopefully it also does for Claws.
  3. Thunderbird is reported to work so (temporarily) using a different email client might be an option.
There is a bug report on Ubuntu for Evolution: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1876286. It would be useful to add Claws-Mail is also affected with Yahoo mail operated domains (Yahoo mail, AT&T, AOL, Verizon, Bellsouth)!
wpshooter wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:25 am
All of this, because no one in charge of this OS has moved the latest (version that works - 3.36.1 by Flathub.org) of Evolution from the software manager (sort of goes under the name of Flatpak) over to Synaptic software manager/installer.
That's how Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint all work—you get stable releases which get security updates for long time but no new feature version updates with a few exceptions (eg, Firefox and on Linux Mint also Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, Mint tools, X-apps and such). Through PPAs, Flatpaks, AppImages and Snaps users can get latest releases of programs, with the latter three including needed system libraries so those can also be newer than are installed in your OS.

Considering the same issue is affecting both Evolution and Claws-Mail, for the same underlying email service Yahoo mail, this doesn't look like an Evolution issue but an issue with one of the system libraries & whatever (if anything) Yahoo mail changed.
I sure would not refer to the version that is now in Synaptic as stable, when you can not even retrieve/fetch any emails from your service provider with it.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition

Return to “Software & Applications”