Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Evolution & Claws email - error message

Post by xenopeek »

I used apt-rdepends with comm and some transformations to find all the packages that BOTH Evolution AND Claws-Mail depend on, directly or through their dependencies. This is that list:

Code: Select all

adwaita-icon-theme
adwaita-icon-theme-full
aspell
aspell-dictionary
aspell-en
coreutils
debconf
debconf-2.0
dictionaries-common
dpkg
emacsen-common
fontconfig
fontconfig-config
fonts-dejavu-core
fonts-freefont
fonts-liberation
gcc-8-base
gtk-update-icon-cache
hicolor-icon-theme
humanity-icon-theme
hunspell-dictionary
ispell-dictionary
libacl1
libasn1-8-heimdal
libaspell15
libatk1.0-0
libatk1.0-data
libattr1
libavahi-client3
libavahi-common-data
libavahi-common3
libblkid1
libbsd0
libbz2-1.0
libc6
libcairo2
libcom-err2
libcomerr2
libcroco3
libcups2
libdatrie1
libdb5.3
libdbus-1-3
libenchant1c2a
libexpat1
libffi6
libfontconfig1
libfreetype6
libgcc1
libgcrypt20
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common
libglib2.0-0
libgmp10
libgnutls30
libgpg-error0
libgraphite2-3
libgssapi-krb5-2
libgssapi3-heimdal
libharfbuzz0b
libhcrypto4-heimdal
libheimbase1-heimdal
libheimntlm0-heimdal
libhogweed4
libhunspell-1.6-0
libhx509-5-heimdal
libicu60
libidn2-0
libjbig0
libjpeg-turbo8
libjpeg8
libk5crypto3
libkeyutils1
libkrb5-26-heimdal
libkrb5-3
libkrb5support0
libldap-2.4-2
libldap-common
liblz4-1
liblzma5
libmount1
libncursesw5
libnettle6
libp11-kit0
libpango-1.0-0
libpangocairo-1.0-0
libpangoft2-1.0-0
libpcre3
libpixman-1-0
libpng16-16
libroken18-heimdal
librsvg2-2
librsvg2-common
libsasl2-2
libsasl2-modules-db
libselinux1
libsqlite3-0
libstdc++6
libsystemd0
libtasn1-6
libtext-iconv-perl
libthai-data
libthai0
libtiff5
libtinfo5
libunistring2
libuuid1
libwind0-heimdal
libx11-6
libx11-data
libxau6
libxcb-render0
libxcb-shm0
libxcb1
libxcomposite1
libxcursor1
libxdamage1
libxdmcp6
libxext6
libxfixes3
libxi6
libxinerama1
libxml2
libxrandr2
libxrender1
libzstd1
lsb-base
multiarch-support
myspell-dictionary
perl-base
perlapi-5.26.0
sensible-utils
shared-mime-info
tar
ttf-bitstream-vera
ubuntu-mono
ucf
x11-common
zlib1g
Then removed all the depends that Thunderbird ALSO depends on, leaving this list:

aspell
aspell-dictionary
aspell-en
debconf-2.0
dictionaries-common
emacsen-common
hunspell-dictionary
ispell-dictionary
libasn1-8-heimdal
libaspell15
libcomerr2
libdb5.3
libenchant1c2a
libgssapi3-heimdal
libhcrypto4-heimdal
libheimbase1-heimdal
libheimntlm0-heimdal
libhunspell-1.6-0
libhx509-5-heimdal
libkrb5-26-heimdal
libldap-2.4-2
libldap-common
libncursesw5
libroken18-heimdal
libsasl2-2
libsasl2-modules-db
libtext-iconv-perl
libtinfo5
libwind0-heimdal
myspell-dictionary
perlapi-5.26.0
A lot on both lists sounds entirely unrelated to POP3 TLS handshake errors. And I don't think SASL, LDAP or Kerberos/Heimdall is used for POP3 connections? So on the second list I see nothing relevant.

Perhaps Thunderbird indirectly depends on some packages from the first list that aren't actually used by Thunderbird for the POP3 connection. Let's go with that assumption. Then I think these two could be suspects:

libgcrypt20
libgnutls30
But it doesn't look like they've had updates recently, at least from the packages website.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Anyone on Linux Mint 19.x / Ubuntu 18.04 willing to give this a try? Try downgrading libgcrypt20 and libgnutls30 with this command and then restart Evolution/Claws-Mail:
apt install libgcrypt20=1.8.1-4ubuntu1 libgnutls30=3.5.18-1ubuntu1

If it doesn't make a difference you can upgrade them again with this command:
apt install libgcrypt20 libgnutls30

It's slow going trying to help as I don't have an email account to test with; Yahoo mail refuses to accept my mobile number and that's needed for registration confirmation :?
wpshooter wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:07 pm
I sure would not refer to the version that is now in Synaptic as stable, when you can not even retrieve/fetch any emails from your service provider with it.
It's most likely not an issue in Evolution but an issue in a system library, as Claws-Mail has the exact same issue and the Evolution flatpak (which doesn't use system libraries) does work.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

FWIW: I have had BellSouth.net accounts almost since they first offered the service... I actually worked for BellSouth at the time (I was with Southern Bell before "Divestiture"). I have learned over the last 10-20 years that AT&T (and thus BellSouth) are far different companies than when I started over 40 years ago.
I have been having a lot of recent troubles with my (old) BellSouth.net eMail accounts as well. I have used a pre-processor (MailWasher) also since it first came out (I was one of the original subscribers who gave a "donation" that GUARANTEED my subscription for life). Sadly, MailWasher has reneged on that with one of the worst excuses in the history of mankind. I won't repeat it here because it's not my mission to berate them.
Anyway, I have been receiving "threatening" notices from AT&T/Yahoo for several months. They have been warning me that I need to change my eMaill access methods or they would terminate all access to my accounts. I ignored them. Suddenly, only a couple of weeks ago, my MailWasher did not work any more (with my AT&T/Yahoo accounts). I wasn't terribly shocked as I decided a long time ago that AT&T's eMail partnership with Yahoo created one of what I perceive as an all-time, Hall-of-Fame, horrible environment for the former BellSouth users (my personal assessment is that we went from "first-class" to "last-class"). I have actually felt for a very long time that AT&T must want to divest itself of ALL eMail services and has been deliberately degrading those services in hopes that their users will abandon them and leave them with virtually no liability whatsoever when they finally terminate their eMail offering completely. And, although I'm not sure why, I have more trouble with their (billing) web-site than any other big-company web site I have ever used... every month the response time for even simple usage increases to the point that nowdays I WILL NOT use them unless it's an emergency. For a while I've held the idea that, because I used the MailWasher pre-processor and the Thunderbird client, I had virtually no interaction with Yahoo whatsoever. In other words, Yahoo could not ram their advertising (and other "Temptations") down my throat. This, surely, would aggravate both AT&T and Yahoo. Since I can no longer employ my (MailWasher) workaround to avoid all contact with the public face of Yahoo I have developed another interesting workaround: I now use the AT&T/Yahoo Web interface but I use the "element-hiding" feature of AdBlock Plus to eliminate absolutely EVERYTHING on the Yahoo home page except the eMail icon. It's an extra step, and it's actually funny looking, but I will abandon eMail altogether before I lay down and succumb to being bombarded by their advertising/marketing strategies.
Finally, I understand that none of this makes a lot of sense. Neither AT&T nor anybody else would spend any measurable time/resources on the likes and dislikes of a single customer. That actually delights me as it makes me feel that a whole lot more than one customer are also fed up with AT&T.
My apologies for the long rant. My hope is that it will help others "read between the lines".
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

xenopeek wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:41 pm
Anyone on Linux Mint 19.x / Ubuntu 18.04 willing to give this a try? Try downgrading libgcrypt20 and libgnutls30 with this command and then restart Evolution/Claws-Mail:
apt install libgcrypt20=1.8.1-4ubuntu1 libgnutls30=3.5.18-1ubuntu1

If it doesn't make a difference you can upgrade them again with this command:
apt install libgcrypt20 libgnutls30

It's slow going trying to help as I don't have an email account to test with; Yahoo mail refuses to accept my mobile number and that's needed for registration confirmation :?
wpshooter wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:07 pm
I sure would not refer to the version that is now in Synaptic as stable, when you can not even retrieve/fetch any emails from your service provider with it.
It's most likely not an issue in Evolution but an issue in a system library, as Claws-Mail has the exact same issue and the Evolution flatpak (which doesn't use system libraries) does work.
I will try it IF, you do not think it will negatively effect the Thunderbird client (installed from Synaptic - not software manager), that I installed yesterday and is running just fine. Let me know. Also, let me know have these libraries had an updated available for install thru update manager in the last week or so ? If not, would that not eliminate them as being the problem ?

I just looked the ones that are currently installed are 1.2 not just plain 1

Also, just looked back thru the update manager history and do not see either of those 2 files during the last 2 weeks.

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

So, I've spent a good bit of time downloading the latest Fedora (version 32), and am using it now. First thing I did was get gnutls-utils package to test if gnutls was updated and could connect to the pop3 mail server. IT WORKED GREAT. Next, I downloaded the package evolution for Fedora 32. IT ALSO WORKED. So, I think the answer for everyone is that the library for gnutls are out of date, and possibly that also applies to the gio/modules used by glib2, called libgiognutls.so . I'm not exactly sure how the translates to Linux Mint. I use Linux Mint at work on occasion. wpshooter, are you using the latest version of Linux Mint?
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

In addition to libgnutls, try also glib-networking module. I see that it is a Linux Mint package also! That is the one which contained my troublesome libgiognutls.so library. The latest Fedora copy has version 30 of libgnutls.

I found this at : https://community.linuxmint.com/software/search .

In addition, the gnutls-bin package I believe has the gnutls-cli program to test the responses from a server using gnutls. (fetchmail used openssl).

The new version of evolution (Fedora 32) used inbound.att.net successfully, although I don't know why, since fetchmail using openssl wasn't happy with the certificate from inbound.att.net. It was happy with the certificate from pop.mail.yahoo.com, or equiv. legacy.pop.mail.yahoo.com .

Anyway, if you can upgrade your Linux Mint distro fine, otherwise, maybe it's time for a refresh and a new updated Linux Mint version,

Best of luck!
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

jimbo333 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:30 pm
So, I've spent a good bit of time downloading the latest Fedora (version 32), and am using it now. First thing I did was get gnutls-utils package to test if gnutls was updated and could connect to the pop3 mail server. IT WORKED GREAT. Next, I downloaded the package evolution for Fedora 32. IT ALSO WORKED. So, I think the answer for everyone is that the library for gnutls are out of date, and possibly that also applies to the gio/modules used by glib2, called libgiognutls.so . I'm not exactly sure how the translates to Linux Mint. I use Linux Mint at work on occasion. wpshooter, are you using the latest version of Linux Mint?
Yes, 19.3 mate, that is the latest that I am aware of.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

Xenopeek, thanks for your reply to my inquiry re: recent failure of inbound e-mail using bellsouth.net (ATT). You wrote in part,

A few workarounds have been found that you may try:
Switch to using IMAP instead of POP3 for receiving email.

I've never used IMAP and am unfamiliar with it. A few basic questions:

1) I do not see a way to change the existing POP account to IMAP. Is it correct that it can't be done and I need to contact ATT, ask for the server(s) to use with IMAP, and then create a new bellsouth.net e-mail account?

2) Once created will the e-mails already in the POP Claws-Mail folders then automatically appear in the new IMAP account, or will I have to copy/paste and move all of them?

3) Again, I know nothing about IMAP. Once an IMAP mail account is created will the existing POP e-mails need any sort of reconfiguration so that they can be sent again to others?

Thanks for your wise advice.
Bearzlos
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

bearzlos wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 pm
I've never used IMAP and am unfamiliar with it. A few basic questions:
POP3 and IMAP are different protocols for retrieving email from your BellSouth account. You don't need to create a new email account with BellSouth. Googling "BellSouth IMAP" I found the server settings you should use for example here: https://emailconfiguration.com/bellsouth-net.

The Claws-Mail manual writes about POP3 and IMAP:
POP3

POP3 is one of the two most used protocols and is available at almost every ISP on Earth. Its advantage is that it allows you to download email to your computer, which means that accessing your mail will be really fast once you have it on your hard disk. The disadvantage of POP3 is that it is more difficult to keep your mail synchronised on multiple computers, (you'll have to keep the mail on the server for a few days), and you won't be able to easily keep track of which mails you have read, or which mails you have replied to, etc., when using another computer.

Mail received from a POP3 account will be stored in an MH mailbox in the folder tree.

IMAP

IMAP is the second most used protocol and its goal is to address the shortcomings of POP3. When using IMAP your folder list and your emails are all kept on a central server. This slows down navigation a little as each mail is downloaded on demand, but when you use another computer, or email client, your emails will be in the same state that you left them, including their status (read, unread, replied, etc.).

When you create an IMAP account an IMAP mailbox is created for it in the folder tree.
So it works differently and email will remain stored on the server for IMAP (similar to using a web based mail client) while you're downloading it with POP3. I think that means if you want to switch from POP3 to IMAP you'll have to setup your BellSouth account anew in Claws-Mail. You can probably disable the old setup, or remove the server settings from it, so you can keep the fthe emails you've stored on your computer. I'm not a Claws-Mail user so you may want to open a separate topic for this if you do want to switch from POP3 to IMAP as a workaround for this issue.

If you do setup with IMAP here is what the manual says about it:
If you choose IMAP, you will need to enter the server address, username, password, and IMAP server directory. The password is optional, if you don't provide it here then you will be prompted for it each time it is needed. The IMAP server directory is also optional, often it is not needed and can be left empty
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

wpshooter wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Can you try the gnutls-bin package and the command gnutls-cli ? See how that works. I've used something like:

gnutls-cli -p 995 -V -d 999 pop.mail.yahoo.com

The V is for verbose, and the -d 999 is for debugging messages. The -p 995 is the port number. Using this command should tell a lot about the problem.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

jimbo333 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 am
wpshooter wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Can you try the gnutls-bin package and the command gnutls-cli ? See how that works. I've used something like:

gnutls-cli -p 995 -V -d 999 pop.mail.yahoo.com

The V is for verbose, and the -d 999 is for debugging messages. The -p 995 is the port number. Using this command should tell a lot about the problem.
Might be a good while, have to do some work on my farm.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Source of information below: https://www.att.com/support/article/ema ... KM1010523/

Avoid email hiccups
A security upgrade is coming to AT&T email, so if you have certain email programs or apps, you’ll have to update your settings.
Learn more about the security upgrade at:
https://www.att.com/support/article/ema ... /KM1240462

If your program or app is affected, be sure to create a secure mail key
https://www.att.com/support/article/ema ... /KM1240308

You’ll need it to set up or keep getting your AT&T email with a desktop program or mobile app.

My apologies if this duplicates information already discussed.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

tovian wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:35 pm
A security upgrade is coming to AT&T email, so if you have certain email programs or apps, you’ll have to update your settings.
Learn more about the security upgrade at:
https://www.att.com/support/article/ema ... /KM1240462
Good find but I don't think this is related. This security change was announced back in February 2018. That announcement links to the same, undated, KM1240462 article as you linked above. Looks like this security change was 2 years ago.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

xenopeek wrote:I don't think this is related...
Sorry about that. Perhaps they sent it to me again (pestered me over-and-over) because I (apparently) never did what I should have done so long ago. I do know that my MailWasher access to my bellsouth.net accounts began to fail recently (in the last two weeks) so I assumed they were making good on their recent threats.

Things may be making more sense now. THANKS !!

Animal House
geoffreycompnovice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geoffreycompnovice »

I have Evolution 3.18.5.2 and have had the error message re pop accounts. I deactivated them and imap accounts were established and mail was retrieved with no problems in spite of the fact that I don't like the way the imap accounts work. I previously had 4 activated accounts going into one inbox and this was far superior to having 4 separate inboxes. I have made no changes to Evolution.

Now, this evening, I get the error message for the imap accounts which worked well this morning. I am about ready to give up and use Firefox and aol.com to get my email.

Anyone else having this problem with imap accounts or am I the sole unlucky one???
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

geoffreycompnovice wrote:I am about ready to give up and use Firefox and aol.com to get my email.
Please PM me if you are interested in an absolute horror story about a certain company's revenue collection (ie. billing) philosophy. I have been using Firefox for over 10 years and it is my only choice for browser. I point no fingers in public, but "some other company" you may have referenced is actually BELOW THE BOTTOM on my list of "?" companies.

I am about to try converting all my POP setups to IMAP to see if that eliminates any of my issues.

Animal House
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

geoffreycompnovice wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 pm
I have Evolution 3.18.5.2 and have had the error message re pop accounts. I deactivated them and imap accounts were established and mail was retrieved with no problems in spite of the fact that I don't like the way the imap accounts work. I previously had 4 activated accounts going into one inbox and this was far superior to having 4 separate inboxes. I have made no changes to Evolution.

Now, this evening, I get the error message for the imap accounts which worked well this morning. I am about ready to give up and use Firefox and aol.com to get my email.

Anyone else having this problem with imap accounts or am I the sole unlucky one???
If this is the case, I'm thinking that they are "upgrading" the imap server, having "upgraded" the pop server 10 days ago. Sorry about that.
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

I tried something new. Basically, I cannot find upgrades for linux mint to libgnutls to recent versions. I am at this moment running Ubuntu LTS 18,
and it doesn't work (latest Fedora does work). So, I tried getting some packages from Ubuntu "focal" release, and forcing them to install on top of my Ubuntu LTS 18 release. This actually worked, and might be something you could try with Linux Mint as well. These are the packages I downloaded from the ubuntu sites:

libffi7_3.3-4_amd64.deb
libgnutls30_3.6.13-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libhogweed5_3.5.1+really3.5.1-2_amd64.deb
libnettle7_3.5.1+really3.5.1-2_amd64.deb
libp11-kit0_0.23.20-1build1_amd64.deb

Notice that the libgnutls30 has 3.6.13 after it, which is a significant upgrade to the 3.5.18 which I think Linux Mint might be using. Then, using the gnutls-cli program, I can actually get a good response from the att or yahoo server.

I think this might actually be a safe thing to try. I use commands like : sudo dpkg -i libffi7_3.3-4_amd64.deb to install the packages, and sometimes I need to add --force-depends if the package is not wanting to install. But try this, I think it's a good shot at working.
jimbo333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimbo333 »

I forgot to mention that I had previously installed these packages:

gnutls-bin_3.5.18-1ubuntu1.3_amd64.deb
libgnutls-dane0_3.5.18-1ubuntu1.3_amd64.deb
libgnutls30_3.5.18-1ubuntu1.3_amd64.deb
libopts25_1%3a5.18.12-4_amd64.deb
libunbound2_1.6.7-1ubuntu2.2_amd64.deb

That would not let the server respond correctly. But you might need these (except for the old libgnutls30_3.5.18) on your machine.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

xenopeek, I got my farm work done yesterday (yes, people really do have farm work to do), so I can get back to
this problem now.

I have a friends computer which I need to install Linux Mint 19.3 onto. Which I can use to do testing on.
Do you want me to do just a basic install (i.e. do not pull down updates from server using update manager)
and then try your suggestions regarding the dependencies ?

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition

Return to “Software & Applications”