Why are my applications not the latest possible version?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
orcus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why are my applications not the latest possible version?

Postby orcus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:47 pm

thx :-( for the fast reply
=============
@others/readers

<edit says>
Uninstall Default-Version and Install the current version of EnigMail seems to keep your/mine keys...
..but it wont be a bad idea to make a backup of your keys anyway...
+ there is an issue regarding interference of gnome keyring (agent) and gnupgp (which can be fixed) - see below
</edit says>

If you - who is right now thinking of updating to the current version of EnigMail - ) should have a backup of your personal keys - especially your private key - as loosing them would result in loosing access to already received encrypted mails ...

In case you already stored your personal keys - escpecially your private key - in an external (and secure) location you could skip step 1.

Beforehand removing the current Version of EnigMail I made following backups - open menu Enigmail|Key Management; within the displayed dialog

1) Select your key(s) - the one(s) showing up bold - select menu File|Export Keys To File; in the following Message Box press button Export Secret Keys
(and not the preselect "Export Public Keys only") - choose a safe/secure Location (not a public accessible folder) and save it.

2) If you already received others public keys it might be good to save them too:
(back in the dialog) select all other - public - keys and select menu File|Export Keys (no Message Box will show) - choose a location (has not to be that secure) and save the "Exported-Public-Keys.asc"-File

In case you require your keys after Reinstall of the current version of EnigMail you can import them from the above files later.

gnome keyring agent
intercepts the communication between gnu pgp and clients (which is bad from a security point of view)
and might/will lead to problems when EnigMails is accessing the keys (there is another variant of the problem not related to gnome keyring agent, which I don't handle here, as it didn't hit me)

Details:
https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/faq?view=topic&id=14 (expand Resolving issues...)
Solution:
https://wiki.gnupg.org/GnomeKeyring

or as copy/paste here:

Globally disable gnome keyring - read above link first (as it might have further unintended consequences with Networkmanager)

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-divert --local --rename --divert /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop-disable --add /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop

Reenable gnome keyring with

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop

If you want to disable gnome keyring on a per user base - there are further links regarding that in the above link of gnupgp.org.

cu - orcus
orcus - by the light of the night

Tim-int
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tim-int » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask what I asked already, but on release topics, where I didn't get a proper answer. Like viewtopic.php?f=143&t=171461#p888459 and viewtopic.php?f=228&t=113683#p762522. Still, there may have been a good reply "AFAIK we are lacking a volunteer..".

What is exact Mint policy for LibreOffice, what versions we may expect through update. Current LO in Mint 18.2 is 5.1.6 and stable LO is 5.2.7.
Looks to me that it's simple Ubuntu but for me it's wrong, because Ubuntu goes with new LO versions in their distros and Mint should have their own policy.
What I deem important and recommend for mass deployment is to upgrade to LO x.y.last versions as they become available (and that's Still 5.2.7 now) and NOT to upgrade to Fresh like 5.3.x at least until 5.3.4 or 4.3.5 because those early versions are buggy.

I'm aware I personally can add PPA, but that's not the right answer. And besides, PPA policy is also not clear to me, https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa doesn't list 5.2 at all now.
Even https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+arc ... office-5-2 gives only 5.2.5~rc1 for xenial and 5.2.6~rc2 solely for yakkety so double not proper for Mint 18.2.

I'm satisfied with Mint and I use it as my primary Linux distro (although I really use Windows at work). But I'm not clear how to address those issues, like ideas and suggestion. I'm not aware Mint has some bugzilla. I see people writing in release notes and that's fine for some early feedback and bugs, but not for issues like this one.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Mint releases are based on Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support Releases) and use two sets of repositories:

The Ubuntu repository of the LTS release - this is where the vast bulk of your software comes from.
The Mint specific repository - this is where the Mint specific software comes from - Xapps, Cinnamon, Update Manager etc.

So the Mint policy for LO is this - stick with the version that is in the Ubuntu LTS repository for the life of the Mint series. So for example, Mint 18.x are all based on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial and use the version of LO in that repository.

You can raise an idea in the ideas section of the forum but the reality is that this is VERY unlikely to change. Mint is not in the business of packaging applications (other than the ones they develop) and they rely on upstream. To do otherwise would require a lot of manpower.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MtnDewManiac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 am

Tim-int wrote:What is exact Mint policy for LibreOffice, what versions we may expect through update. Current LO in Mint 18.2 is 5.1.6 and stable LO is 5.2.7.
Looks to me that it's simple Ubuntu but for me it's wrong, because Ubuntu goes with new LO versions in their distros and Mint should have their own policy.
What I deem important and recommend for mass deployment is to upgrade to LO x.y.last versions as they become available (and that's Still 5.2.7 now) and NOT to upgrade to Fresh like 5.3.x at least until 5.3.4 or 4.3.5 because those early versions are buggy.

I'm aware I personally can add PPA, but that's not the right answer. And besides, PPA policy is also not clear to me, https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa doesn't list 5.2 at all now.
Even https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+arc ... office-5-2 gives only 5.2.5~rc1 for xenial and 5.2.6~rc2 solely for yakkety so double not proper for Mint 18.2.

You can try referencing this page:
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
Specifically, look for the PPA that has a designation of "Still" (formerly stable, which - according to Wikipedia - is "the final bugfix of the previous major version, which has had several months of bug fixing and is recommended for users for whom stability is more important than enhancements. These are also referred to as "released" versions.") In this case, I'm assuming that "Still" is short for "Still Supported."

Also, if you are still using LibreOffice 5.2.x, please note that, according to the web page I provided the link to, the 5.2.x versions are EOL (End of Life).

If you wish to have the current most recent Still ("stable") version at all times, you'll most likely have to resign yourself to checking that web page once in a while and, upon need, changing the LibreOffice PPA that you use. As far as I can tell, the LO developers do not maintain one Fresh and one Still PPA that occasionally experience major version changes but, instead, have a separate PPA for each major version. So what is "Fresh" today could become "Still" tomorrow (and will certainly become so at some point in the future) - and, therefore, so could the specific PPA that hosts that particular version series.

And this is IF I understand things correctly. I wouldn't guarantee that.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”