Why are my applications not the latest possible version?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Why are my applications not the latest possible version?

Postby killer de bug » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:47 am

Rob99 wrote:But I'm little confused, why should I expect any trouble installing the newest ver. of R.

If you install a new version, you may have to install new libraries also. This may impact other softwares installed on your system. You may introduce new bugs, or regressions. This is at your own risks. Don't ask me about the probability. It's probably low, but I have not tried. So I have no idea. You just need to be aware that this is a possibility.

This said, I understand your need, and I would probably attempt to upgrade R if I were in your position.
I have Linux Mint Debian Edition and therefore I have already R 3.1, so I don't face this issue.

Rob99 wrote:It's off topic but as R user you might be familiar how to change a default language in R console into English. In Windows it's pretty easy. As a workaround in Linux I add the line Sys.setlocale("LC_MESSAGES", "en_US.UTF-8") into Rprofile.site. Unfortunately starting messages is not in English.

No idea. I have never tried to change this. It's in french for me and that's perfect. :)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

fruitkiller
Level 4
Level 4

Postby fruitkiller » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Sometimes you can compile them to the latest version and it'll be possible to have the dependencies, like how I did with kvirc's svn and my own ffmpeg.

But some you just can't, like Banshee 2.9.1, it's uninstallable on LM17.x no matter what the guides you find say, especially those having you download banshee2.9.1~really2.6.2.amd64.deb

michellebrooks
Level 2
Level 2

Postby michellebrooks » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:27 am

It would be nice to get VLC v3 beta installed. Even though it's a Beta, it worked fine for me with openSuse and was an improvement over the latest stable release as far as videos playing more smoothly. The pre-installed player in Mint plays better then the stable release of VLC but is still pretty choppy on bigger files.

ravenshadow
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ravenshadow » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:21 pm

That depends on the distro as i see it, distros that include the most new software are optimized to run with the newest software.

If the user wants a new version of a software the user can use a ppa (if it is a ppa for the software) to keep the software upgraded.

But add a ppa with caution and only upgrade the software that the user wants to upgrade, ppas can contain other software or other versions that can make things break in the system.
Linux Mint 18 x64 MATE

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pdhunter1987 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Why is some software not the latest version?
Because your using Linux Mint. :lol:
Want the latest? Install Arch.
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

deleted

Postby deleted » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Or Debian sid/Unstable (like siduction or Semplice)
-H

DrM
Level 2
Level 2

Postby DrM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:41 am

pdhunter1987 wrote:Why is some software not the latest version?
Because your using Linux Mint. :lol:
Want the latest? Install Arch.

Conclusion is that Linux Mint is very conservative when it is about using the latest versions of apps and utils.

deleted

Postby deleted » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:41 am

^ Many debs are maintained by non Mint folks; It's up to them on when they update the versions.
-H

budasur
Level 1
Level 1

Postby budasur » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 pm

It's true I have a problem with the -vf scale filter of Mencoder 1.2.1 (Debian) in Serena.
I'm waiting for a new version.
But with the Ffmpeg package everything works perfectly.
Fixed my issue.

Anyway Mint is still the best in Multimedia. Above Debian, ArchLinux, OpenSuse, Manjaro or FreeBSD.

Undoubtedly.

nomadewolf
Level 2
Level 2

Postby nomadewolf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 am

The answer is simple:
Keeping all apps updated takes a lot of effort and time.
True that if an update comes out, that implies that there worthwhile improvements to be had, but since the OS is an entire ecosystem, that update can also brings new bugs.
The new bugs will require new updates, and cicle restarts...
Therefore, while not optimal, i can understand...

Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lessss » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:59 pm

So if an app is using an ANCIENT version like Kdenlive was still using version 0.9 yes that's a leading zero, it is the Mint team we should be poking with a stick not some other group like debian stable??

I noticed kdenlive jumped from version 0.9 to 16.12.2 with mint 18.1

FreeOrion is now 0.4.5 from 0.4.3-2 but the latest is 0.4.6

What I'd like to see is the top 20 FREE games in the Mint repo getting updated to as close to the latest versions as possible and the same for the top 10 apps of each software manage category. It's just embarrassing that the most recommended distro for windows refugees is so dated in terms of the app version in the software manager.

So again yes it is the Mint team to poke with a stick regarding this??

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Lessss wrote:So again yes it is the Mint team to poke with a stick regarding this??

No.
1) It would be Ubuntu/Debian.
2) Please read again the first post. If you need the latest version of each software, Mint is not for you. Look at Arch Linux.

Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lessss » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:20 pm

You need arch is horrible advice. Read MY post again. I don't need the LATEST software I'd just like to know there are people actively keeping things as up to date as they can be still maintaining stability. Seriously Kdenlive jumped from 0.9 to 16. That shouldn't happen!! no piece of software should be frozen for THAT long. there needs to be some kind of progression. I'd be fine with kdenlive version 10 while the up to date version is 16 but version 0.9 to 16 in one jump!!??

Thanks however for pointing me to ubuntu/Debian. I'll go poke them with a stick.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:45 am

Lessss wrote:I'd be fine with kdenlive version 10 while the up to date version is 16 but version 0.9 to 16 in one jump!!??

With which Mint version are you comparing?
Between Mint 17 and Mint 18 there was 2 years.
Between Mint 13 and Mint 18 there was 4 years.

And during the lifetime of a release, packages are not moving. It's a frozen base. If you want some new libraries, you can install the new version of Ubuntu every 6 months.

Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lessss » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:21 am

kdenlive went from v0 to v16 over 15 years and is one of the top three programs of it's category. Making the jump from v0 to v16 after it's been in the repos for 13 years isn't a frozen software selection, it's a fossilized one.

Again I'm not saying we need the latest versions at all times but maybe once every two or five years the top X(3,5 or 10) programs of each category could be looked at to see if the version can be advanced while maintaining stability.

It's been pointed out to me it isn't the mint team it's the Ubuntu or Debian team that needs to be thanked and encouraged for their work.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 am

Lessss wrote:Making the jump from v0 to v16 after it's been in the repos for 13 years isn't a frozen software selection, it's a fossilized one. [...]

Again I'm not saying we need the latest versions at all times but maybe once every two or five years the top X(3,5 or 10) programs of each category could be looked at to see if the version can be advanced while maintaining stability.

Once every 2 years, there is a new base and therefore new library versions. Therefore, what you are asking is already the current process.

As for Kdenlive, please see the release history to understand the jump:
v15.03.80 commit ac8c6741e9... Albert Astals Cid 2 years
v0.9.10 commit ef5f9202c9... Vincent PINON 2 years

https://cgit.kde.org/kdenlive.git/refs/tags

Linux Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. Base was frozen at the end of 2013. Expect a version number around 0.9.6.
Linux Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04. Base was frozen at the end of 2015. Expect a version number around 15 or early 16.

I don't see any problem here. Debian and Ubuntu package maintainers are doing a really good job. If you want to make sure that your favorite software are well maintained, you can join their team. It is not really difficult. And everyone will be happy of your support.

sudarshan0564
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sudarshan0564 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:46 am

I compile my apps from source, to get updated.
Can anybody tell me is it possible to get updated software using any upstream repo in just two lines ?

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:04 am

If you compile yourself, you have the sole responsibility for the software, inclusive updating.

orcus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby orcus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:08 am

Could be this forum is the wrong addressee - but I've to start somewhere - and yes - i read the first post (and some of the replies) ...

I noticed that the EnigMail extension (1.8.2) for ThunderBird (45.8.0) does not update to the current version (1.9.7) as expected - others like Lightning and DKIM Verifyer are in the expected Versions (for TB 45.8.0)

The EnigMail- and Mozilla-site state both the plugin would be fine for TB 38.0 - 52.* - see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... il/?src=ss

Looking at TB about:config filter extensions.update.url delivers:
https://versioncheck.addons.mozilla.org ... eqVersion=%REQ_VERSION%&id=%ITEM_ID%&version=%ITEM_VERSION%&maxAppVersion=%ITEM_MAXAPPVERSION%&status=%ITEM_STATUS%&appID=%APP_ID%&appVersion=%APP_VERSION%&appOS=%APP_OS%&appABI=%APP_ABI%&locale=%APP_LOCALE%&currentAppVersion=%CURRENT_APP_VERSION%&updateType=%UPDATE_TYPE%&compatMode=%COMPATIBILITY_MODE%

Which makes me guess that someone - mozilla-, enigmail- or mint-team ??? - propably has forgotten to update the according version-info there - as far I can see the dependency to gpg2 - installed version gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.26 - should satisfy the needs of EnigMail.

Yes I would like to have some of the extra-features of the newer version (I'm guilty regarding this) but what hit's me more is the bugfix-list of EnigMail since version 1.8.2.

System: Host: xxxxx Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 Distro: LinuxMint 2 betsy

regards - orcus
orcus - by the light of the night

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:31 am

You must not apologize, because you want the newer version of Enigmail. It is one of the bad examples, where those types of packages in the official repositories are badly - better said: not - maintained. Those packages should not even exist there.

Close TB completely, than remove the enigmail package with the help of synaptic. Go to the website of the developer and download the extension. Open inside of TB the add-on manager, click near the top the icon and select to install an extension from a file.

One caveat: For the newest versions of Enigmail it is mandatory to have gpgp2; you should have got a notice about it already in the past. If you do not have gpg2 already installed do this at first; you can take gpg2 from the official repositories. Important notice: Do never remove the already installed gpg (1) from the system, otherwise your package management will break. gpg and gpg2 can coexist happily side by side.

Return to “Software & Applications”