Why does Scribus run in superuser mode and what does its launcher do?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pangolin
Level 3
Level 3

Why does Scribus run in superuser mode and what does its launcher do?

Post by Pangolin »

Hello.
Though Scribus is available in LM repositories I wanted to try a more up-to-date version of it by installing via flatpak (i'm on LM 19.1).
The installation of the latest (beta/development) version 1.5.6 was smooth and everything seems fine but when I start Scribus it runs with superuser privileges... why?
I feel uncomfortable with this thing since I don't understand the need for such a measure.
Is there a way to run Scribus without granting it higher permissions?

More: Scribus' launcher looks quite "complex" to me as I am not so technical... here follows its command line:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=scribus --file-forwarding net.scribus.Scribus @@ %f @@
Apart from seeing a "--branch=stable" option that looks to me a bit odd as I am running an UNstable version, I can't figure out what the "--file-forwarding... etcetera" part performs on my system.
Can someone please explain?
Thanks.
I'm here thanks to Windows 10
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why does Scribus run in superuser mode and what does its launcher do?

Post by thx-1138 »

...assuming you're on Mate, and if yes, it's a known bug / annoyance in Marco compositor:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/301

Relevant / similar past threads:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=274402
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264766
Pangolin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pangolin »

thx-1138 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:56 am
...assuming you're on Mate
Hi thx-1138
Yes, I'm actually on MATE.
Thanks for posting those links :D
It seems that "as superuser" in Scribus' window title is just a text bug.
Starting Scribus and entering in a terminal

Code: Select all

ps -ef
allowed me to verify that the application is in fact running with my UID and not as root.
Well, now I am less worried about an unstable version of an app with superuser powers wreaking havoc in my system :mrgreen:
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Pangolin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:19 am
Hello.
Though Scribus is available in LM repositories I wanted to try a more up-to-date version of it by installing via flatpak (i'm on LM 19.1).
The installation of the latest (beta/development) version 1.5.6
I am pretty sure the current Scribus development candidate is 1.5.5.
Is there a way to run Scribus without granting it higher permissions?
I suggest switching to the AppImage. I have been using the 1.5x series AppImage for a couple of years now, and I think the only issue I ever had was with the Barcode plug-in. It works now. Download the file, make it executable, and run.
https://www.scribus.net/downloads/unstable-branch/

I think there are several advantages to using the AppImage over the flatpak. First, it is not installed - it is a self-contained file, and removing it from your system is as simple as deleting the AppImage file. Also, until you delete the AppImage file you still have access v1.5.5 (which works) when the development candidate is released - I do not know a way to roll-back to an earlier version of a flatpak.
Pangolin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pangolin »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 am
I think there are several advantages to using the AppImage over the flatpak. First, it is not installed - it is a self-contained file, and removing it from your system is as simple as deleting the AppImage file. Also, until you delete the AppImage file you still have access v1.5.5 (which works) when the development candidate is released - I do not know a way to roll-back to an earlier version of a flatpak.
That's very interesting.
I didn't know about Appimage, now I think I'll give it a try soon :D
Thanks for mentioning it as an alternative to flatpak.
Cheers.
jack_cat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jack_cat »

I believe that this thread answers my current question about using the AppImage to install Scribus. I am a long-time Scribus user, mostly w/ 1.4.6, lately with 1.5.2, but new to Linux Mint. I used the Software Manager to install Scribus, and it installed Scribus 1.5.6, the very latest version, which has some weird problems and is clearly labeled "Unstable - for developer testing only" which is just stating the fact. So I have to un-install that. It's too bad that whoever put that package in the package manager didn't check for the latest _stable_ version.

So I want to go back to 1.5.5 at least. I was hunting here on the forum for information on whether I could use the file
scribus-1.5.5-linux-x86_64.AppImage
to install. I take it that I can, if I'm have beginner's luck. Ojala.

I was using 1.5.4 which is not too bad, but 1.4.8 is still the latest stable version. 1.60 is going to be the next stable one, they say.
hamaer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hamaer »

>>...So I want to go back to 1.5.5 at least. I was hunting here on the forum for information on whether I could use the file
scribus-1.5.5-linux-x86_64.AppImage to install. I take it that I can, if I'm have beginner's luck. <<

I saw that your last post is from July, so I don't know whether you solved this already. You certainly can use the AppImage.
I use several of them in MINT Cinnamon 19.3. Reason is because they do not install. They have all needed files embedded in their AppImage, and have a smaller footprint. That's why they load and run faster. I run GIMP, RawTherapee, LibreOffice 7.0.1, Scribus 1.5.5, and InkScape 1.0.1 all via their AppImages.

The procedure is simple.
- Go the the folder where you downloaded your .AppImage file, and move the mouse over it.
- Use you right mouse to open the pull-down menu.
- Select 'Properties' and at the next window open 'Permissions'.
- Select 'Execute' to allow the file to execute as a program, and close the menu.

That's it. All you have to do now to run the program is to double click the file with your left mouse button and it starts.
Works like a charm, and you can move the file wherever you want. You could create a folder called 'AppImg' for example, and put all your AppImage files in there. It's just one option to organize them, and an advantage of those AppImage files. No installation, no additional extractions and more files, etc.

The only thing I don't know [yet] is what to do, to make it show in MINT's menu as well. RawTherapee asked me when I started it the first time, whether I want it to show in the menu. The other ones didn't do it automatically and I need to figure out how to make them show.
Most likely using Terminal commands, but I work with Linux only for roughly 6 months now. Guess that makes me still a rookie.
Came from MS' Windows world after solving 3+ decades MS issues on my PC.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Software & Applications”