Open places links in Dolpin (or other file manager)??

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
carnegie0107
Level 1
Level 1

Open places links in Dolpin (or other file manager)??

Post by carnegie0107 »

Hi. I hope this question has not been asked before (I just spent almost an hour searching this and other forums, and Google, and came up with nada).

I'm using Linux Mint 7 Main, but there are certain KDE applications I prefer, primarily Dolphin. It is my default file manager, and I could uninstall Nautilus altogether, but there is one problem: I can't make the mintMenu open places in anything other than Nautilus. With nautilus uninstalled, clicking, say, home in the menu does nothing. I tried adding to my ~/.bashrc:

Code: Select all

alias nautilus='dolphin'
and editing /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/places.py, replacing all 'nautilus' with 'dolphin'. I then reloaded plugins, logged out and back in to gnome...

Still, everything opens with Nautilus, or not at all. I'm out of ideas. Help?
Dell Studio XPS 16, 2.6Ghz Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gb RAM/4Gb SWAP (overkill, I know)
Linux Mint 7 Main 32-bit
Free Software... because knowledge is no man's exclusive property

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Open places links in Dolpin (or other file manager)??

Post by viking777 »

Use Mint KDE CE instead?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

carnegie0107
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carnegie0107 »

viking777 wrote:Use Mint KDE CE instead?
I don't want to use KDE. I don't like KDM, Kwin, or the K menu, and I loathe Konqueror. I love Gnome and its simplicity, but I prefer Dolphin as a file manager. With the terminal panel enabled, it has all the features and shine of a graphical file manager, with the raw power and efficiency of cd, ls, cp, mv, rm. I also use Plasma as part of my desktop--plasma toolbar on bottom, Gnome panel on top, and a mix of plasmoids and screenlets in between. The rest of my system is Gnome, and I want to keep it that way.

If only I could get mintMenu working right! I keep switching between it and the default Gnome menu, because I can't decide whether or not the insistence on Nautilus outweighs the awesome features of mintMenu.
Dell Studio XPS 16, 2.6Ghz Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gb RAM/4Gb SWAP (overkill, I know)
Linux Mint 7 Main 32-bit
Free Software... because knowledge is no man's exclusive property

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

That sounds seriously mixed up to me! But if it works for you why not. I don't think mix+match desktop environments is ever going to go 100% smoothly, I'm surprised that is the only problem you have.

Have you ever tried any other file managers, or must it be Dolphin? For my money the best file manager in the known world by a long way is Krusader. Maybe that would play better with your setup I don't know.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

blehz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blehz »

since I was looking for the same (well I want to use Thunar) I somewhere found the place where the plugin script is:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/
edit the file

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/places.py
you will find nautilus commands for computer, home, network, desktop and trash (eg: "nautilus --no-desktop computer:")
you can replace those with Dolphin commands

I don't know what the command line options for Dolphin are but I found the following for Thunar:

thunar /media - to display what "computer" displays
thunar - home folder
thunar ~/Desktop - desktop
thunar trash: - trash

I left network because I can't find it in thunar

once you edited the py file (with sudo), save it and run:

sudo python /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/compile.py
this will recompile all python scripts of the mintMenu and it's plugins

using the reload command in the right click menu didn't work, so you have to relog into GNOME for the changes to have effect

hope this is what you wanted :)

Return to “Software & Applications”