Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
khaki45
Level 1
Level 1

how can I force browsers to respect preferred file manager

Post by khaki45 »

Hello.

I recently switched from Cinnamon for Linux Mint to XFCE4. But I still want to use the Nemo file manager, it seems Thunar is a forced download, and all my research indicates that I cannot safely remove thunar without removing XFCE4 itself.

So I did go to "Preferred Applications", went to "Utilities" tab, and I chose nemo by choosing it from usr/bin/ folder. However, when I download something from Firefox and Palemoon, despite my preference for Nemo, it still defaults to using Thunar. Apparently firefox had a setting called ui file picker in about:config, but I cannot find this setting in firefox anymore.

So my question is, How can I get my browsers to use my file manager of choice (Nemo) when I download, instead of Thunar?

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Re: how can I force browsers to respect preferred file manager

Post by Schultz »

khaki45 wrote:
Apparently firefox had a setting called ui file picker in about:config, but I cannot find this setting in firefox anymore.
I still see something in Pale Moon called ui.allow_platform_file_picker. Is that what you're referring to? Default is set to "true." What happens if you set it to "false"?

khaki45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by khaki45 »

Checked it palemoon, and it had already been set to true.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I can't guarantee success, but you can try this. Create a new folder on your desktop. The name doesn't matter as you will be deleting it when you are done. Right click it and choose Open With > Another Application. (I'm giving you the Cinnamon equivalents since I don't know XFCE.) From the list, choose Nemo. It may be called Files, I'm not sure. If you can't find it in the list, you can choose a custom application. Make sure to set this new application as the default. This will open all folders in Nemo. This may force the browser to default to whatever your folder default is. Delete the unneeded folder.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Hi khaki45,

Are you referring to the Save As dialog that opens when you try to download something? That's not actually Thunar, but the File Chooser dialog, which I would think would be the same in the same applications between Cinnamon and Xfce. That's provided by the toolkit the application uses (GTK2, GTK3, Qt)

Return to “Software & Applications”