Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hman2
Level 1
Level 1

Keepass is outdated

Post by hman2 »

On Mint Sylvia Cinnamon 18.3 LTS, only 2.32 is offered, whereas the current version is 2.45.

With 2.32 I have the nasty problem that I cannot copy&paste from Keepass, despite the fact that I do have both xsel and xdotool installed, which ought to work around the problem...
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Keepass is outdated

Post by AZgl1500 »

I much prefer LastPass, it has always worked for me, no matter what OS is running.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:01 pm
I much prefer LastPass, it has always worked for me, no matter what OS is running.
+1 Never had an issue with Lastpass - could not live without it.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

I'd recommend the native linux port keepassxc that doesn't need any mono installed - https://keepassxc.org/download/

There's plenty of options to keep it up to date on any Linux - PPA, Appimage, flatpak.....take your pick.

If you want to stick with keepass and would like to test a newer version - just download the portable version from https://keepass.info/download.html.

You'll need to use mono to launch the windows exe - see https://keepass.info/help/v2/setup.html#mono

I suspect your issue is not keepass itself but probably the ancient version of mono that ships with 18.x.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
hman2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hman2 »

I've had the issue of the dysfunctional copy&paste before, but then I could fix it by installing xsel. Now I find references that xdotool is additionally recommended, but even adding that did not fix the problem. There are reports on the net that sometimes hanging xsel processes could pile up, but that doesn't happen here.
argentwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argentwolf »

I used LastPass for years, but I made the switch and personally use and recommend KeePassXC (https://keepassxc.org/).
The main reason for my transition; is the clear, logical, and reasoned understanding that you cannot secure that which you do not physically control. TNO!
LastPass requires you to trust an ambiguous third party and its password database rests in the cloud [physically] out-of-your-control.
KeePassXC on the other hand is platform agnostic, opensource, and its password database rests physically in my control, on any of my device(s). drops mic
LMDE 4
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

argentwolf wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 am
I used LastPass for years, but I made the switch and personally use and recommend KeePassXC (https://keepassxc.org/).
The main reason for my transition; is the clear, logical, and reasoned understanding that you cannot secure that which you do not physically control. TNO!
LastPass requires you to trust an ambiguous third party and its password database rests in the cloud [physically] out-of-your-control.
KeePassXC on the other hand is platform agnostic, opensource, and its password database rests physically in my control, on any of my device(s). drops mic
Good points - I have even toyed with the idea of putting my password manager on a USB not only for maximum security but to make it portable from system to system. I am not arguing your point as physical control vs third party makes a lot of sense. I am just saying for me the decision for Lastpass comes down to convenience and acceptable risk - I put lots of trust in third parties anyway with my passwords and financial data etc. that is just a reality for me. So no matter how or where I encrypt my banking, credit card, PayPal etc. passwords in the end they live on third party servers somewhere in the cloud anyway where they are more vulnerable and hacking targets than in a LastPass encrypted vault IMHO. My LastPass vault is useless anyway without the master password, same as KeePass and with the same level of encryption as Keepass as well. Maybe KeePass is easier to use these days but years ago it was a pain and why I chose LastPass. But again third party vs physical control . . . I get it - just not a show stopper for me.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

argentwolf wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 am
those are the Specific Reasons why I use LastPass.....
I use at least 5 different PCs/Laptops from time to time, and LastPass follows me everywhere.

I worried about the "in the cloud thing" but quit when I almost lost it entirely a few years back.....
IF, you can't remember, or write down the LastPass Master password, it is all gone gone forever.....
and they tell you explicitly, that there are NO BACKDOORS for them to help you recover it....

took me a few weeks to remember the correct password and Email Address that I used when I first started using it....
best to always use an email that will never get lost.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:31 pm
IF, you can't remember, or write down the LastPass Master password, it is all gone gone forever.....
and they tell you explicitly, that there are NO BACKDOORS for them to help you recover it....

took me a few weeks to remember the correct password and Email Address that I used when I first started using it....
best to always use an email that will never get lost.
I have one 26 character password that I have memorized - that's it. It is not a phrase really I just concatenated parts of an old street address, old phone number, school and graduation year replacing few letters numbers with special characters.
hman2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hman2 »

Hm, with some googling I found that Debian has Keepass on 2.45:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/keepass2

Now I wonder why this doesn't transcend into my Mint...

The 2.32 seems to come from Local/universe (archive.ubuntu.com). It also shows up on xenial/universe (also archive.ubuntu.com). I am VERY hesitant in adding a PPA "for conveniance". So far I did this only for Opera and Teamviewer, in both cases the manufacturer's PPA (teamviewer even added itself in there...).
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

+1 for KeePassXC. I moved over from KeePass a while ago. It does the business.

If you do decide to use it then the phoerious/keepassxc PPA works well.
hman2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hman2 »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:21 am
I suspect your issue is not keepass itself but probably the ancient version of mono that ships with 18.x.
Hm, the homepage says Mono must be 2.6 or newer. It is 4.2.1.102-dsfg2-7...
Second Round
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Second Round »

hydrurga wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 am
+1 for KeePassXC. I moved over from KeePass a while ago. It does the business.

If you do decide to use it then the phoerious/keepassxc PPA works well.
Is this preferred over Software Manager in Mint, which calls up something that wants 2.6 gb of disk space?

If so what is the preferred method of going around Software Manager to get this - is it to use terminal and:

Code: Select all

add-apt-repository ppa:phoerious/keepassxc
apt update
apt install keepassxc
?

Background: Longtime user of Keepass2 on Windows 7; also got it to work in Raspbian and Raspberry Pi Desktop for x86. In Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce, it runs OK but I can't print nor export to CSV or html. As a result I can't seem to create/print the paper backup that I like to keep under lock and key.

I tested out Keepassxc on my RPD for x86 laptop, and while it seems to lack print functionality, it did export to csv, and I could open it in LibreOffice Calc no problem. Now, I'd like to have Keepassxc on my desktop LM machine. But 2.6 gb? Something seems awry with that.

Thanks!!
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Yep - the PPA is an official distribution method for the project - it's maintained directly by a keepassxc developer.

The first line needs a sudo

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phoerious/keepassxc
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

hman2 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:52 am
Hm, with some googling I found that Debian has Keepass on 2.45:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/keepass2

Now I wonder why this doesn't transcend into my Mint...

The 2.32 seems to come from Local/universe (archive.ubuntu.com). It also shows up on xenial/universe (also archive.ubuntu.com).
You are using Mint 18.x - it's package base (Ubuntu Xenial / 16.04) is a snapshot of Debian Sid from March 2016. Keepass2 is in the Universe section, which means no guaranteed bug or security fixes. Looking at the changelog it's never had any update since the release of Ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/keepass2
Second Round
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Second Round »

smurphos wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:04 pm
Yep - the PPA is an official distribution method for the project - it's maintained directly by a keepassxc developer.

The first line needs a sudo

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phoerious/keepassxc
Thank you! Seems to have installed. Looking forward to migrating to keepassxc.

Return to “Software & Applications”