Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Shotcut video editing software - New feature not showing up

Post by colski »

Hi,

I have installed Shotcut from the LinuxMint official software repository. This is the first time any shotcut has been installed on my system. The version number the software shows when running is 20.04.12

This also agrees with the software developers i.e. this is also the latest version as per the shotcut site.

However, there are some recent updates before this by shotcut which are not showing in this latest version.

One in particular is the new PITCH filter for audio changes. It simply isn't there, yet youtube videos and shotcut's own website says it should be there.

Has anyone got any explanation for this?

Thank you.
Colski
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Shotcut video editing software - New feature not showing up

Post by erginemr »

Shotcut also has a self-contained AppImage version, which I've been using on my system.

Can you download that package from the developer's site, make it executable and run to see if the filter you mentioned is available therein or not?
Last edited by erginemr on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free as in free speech...
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Shotcut also has a self-contained AppImage version, which I've been using on my system.

Can you download that package from the developer's site, make it executable and run to see if the filter you mentioned is available therein or not?
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

Thanks for your reply.
I've never installed software before on linux without simply using the repository.
I'll try to give it a go. Fingers crossed.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

FYI, AppImages have been proposed to resolve dependency issues when trying to update the program, to provide a single, ubiquitous package for all distros and to keep packages up-to-date. There are two more projects with the same goal: Flatpak (installed in Mint) and Snap (installed in Ubuntu). AppImages are very similar to App packages in MacOSX, in terms of ease of installation.

To try the shotcut AppImage package, you can download it from
https://shotcut.org/download/

Once downloaded, copy it from Downloads to a proper location. I copy them to the Applications folder under that I've created under my home (~/Applications) for instance. Right click the file and give permission to run it as an application.

Return to “Software & Applications”