Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pcfan5
Level 4
Level 4

(solved) MKVToolNix GUI won't merge files

Post by pcfan5 »

I am trying to merge to mkv files, with MKVToolNix GUI, but it doesn't seem to work.

This files were extracted from a DVD with "handbrake", one is the main picture and the other is an encore, all from the same concert. I wanted to joint them , File "a" is 1.2 GB File "b" is 328.22 mib, the result obtained with MKVToolNix GUI is a file of 1.9 Gb, but when I tried to play it with mplayer , vlc or smplayer, I only can watch the content of the file "a", file "b" content isn't there.

this is my computer:

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: S-MOV Kernel: 5.3.0-59-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
I wish Handbrake would have the merge option
Last edited by pcfan5 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MKVToolNix GUI won't merge files

Post by erginemr »

When you add additional clips to MKVToolnix, it asks how you want to treat it (sync, append, etc.) with a dialog box. One of the options (append) is what you are looking for.

Nevertheless, I'll suggest you another program, Avidemux, that has the same functionality and more.
avidemux.png
With it, you can merge mkv files end-to-end and save the set as mkv in copy mode (i.e. without encoding, provided the input files are of the same size). Moreover, it lets you cut, trim parts, add effects and convert to another format with encoding.
Free as in free speech...
pcfan5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pcfan5 »

thank you so much! that is exactly what I want.

Regarding MKVToolNix GUI , after posting , I tried that option (my software is in spanish but it is the same)
take a look a this pic:
Captura de pantalla_2020-06-16_17-24-24.jpg
No resutls. Maybe it is because of this: I trough an error it shows, that file "b" has different dimentions... maybe that is another issue...may be I ripped it bad.

* on the other hand , could you tell me if I did right over audio settings , please: When I did the rip I remember I selected to keep "pass through" in audio options and deleted the main track just because I thouth it will give me a better audio quality,
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

I believe the correct option is "añadir archivos cómo partes adicionales", otherwise the clips overlap. MKVToolnix kept confusing me here before, I remember resorting to trial and error.

But I really recommend you to try avidemux, instead. It convinced me as a replacement to both mkvtoolnix & handbrake.
Free as in free speech...
pcfan5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pcfan5 »

thank you so much. right now I am encoding my file "b" again, since I tried with avidemux but it says there is a difference in dimensions so the merge cannot be done. and suggest me to cut and other things. In case it doesn't work I would open another topic to avoid mixing... I'll let you know.

*regarding mkvtoolnix the option "apendix", is the second one, I was able to set the program in english. :wink:

Thank you for your help.!!!

Return to “Software & Applications”