Grsync-related

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Grsync-related

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
I am forever pushing my personal boundaries and often at the expense of having to re-install Mint.
I now have Grsync to save my files. Will those files contain Thunderbird email, calendar and address book?
If not, what do you recommend?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Win7 Starter-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) [and a few others]
Lanser

Re: Grsync-related

Post by Lanser »

Hello Peter.
Since you enjoy pushing boundaries, can I suggest the following strategy.

Use a separate partition for all data. This includes your mail files, app databases, docs, music, videos etc.
Change the paths in your apps to point at the new locations and replace the original docs, music, videos etc folders with links.
This means you only have a single discrete partition with all your key data to back up. You can use any file sync tool you like to back up the whole partition to an external drive. (I use beyond Compare). This leaves only your config files in your /home/user dir and your OS to which can be included in a time shift snapshot. You can also use mint-backup to capture your user config files and store them on the data drive. Bit of work to set this up initially, but it makes recovery or installing a new OS much easier.

Lanser
dm999

Post by dm999 »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:48 pm I now have Grsync to save my files. Will those files contain Thunderbird email, calendar and address book?
If you use Grsync to back up 'home' it will indeed back up the hidden files and folders too, so yes, those Thunderbird files will be backed up.

As an aside, if you wish to exclude hidden folders in Grsync then go to 'advanced options' and in the 'additional options' field add

Code: Select all

--exclude '.*'
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Concur strongly with the recommendation from Lanser. A little time spent on partitioning will make the process much more convenient. Let /home hold your configuration files. Create /data to store the real data files. Using grsync you can backup each if desired. This comes in real handy if you wish to have more than one OS on your system. Or for that matter a different flavor of Mint that has different config files.

This desktop uses a NVME PCIe M.2 SSD partitioned with several / and /home groupings. The /home partitions can be rather small as they mostly hold only configuration files. All share the same data files found at /data.

Setup in this matter users can easily compare Mate, Cinnamon and XFCE if desired. Same concept holds true allowing having both Mint 20 and 19.3 installed simultaneously.

Return to “Software & Applications”