Backintime; How to Run It [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YoMan
Level 3
Level 3

Backintime; How to Run It [solved]

Post by YoMan »

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but, How do you run BackInTime to get a backup?
First, I installed BackInTime using the Software Mgr. When I open the GUI, it doesn't look like what is shown in the Software Mgr or in the documentation. According to the documentation, it appears that what I have is the second page and the "Main Window" is missing. How do I get both pages?
Selection_006.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CapraFan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Backintime; How to Run It

Post by CapraFan »

First you need to set it up. Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=290899
YoMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by YoMan »

Thanks for the link. It's strange that that didn't show up when I did a search for "backintime".
Anyway, I have figured that all out. I have filled in everything appropriate including backup location, include, exclude, and Backintime does "see" by backup drive. After going through each page I click OK but the setup page never closes to open the Main page. One website I read suggested that once the configuration is complete, a terminal command needs to be run; surely not?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

but the setup page never closes to open the Main page
In the screenshot you posted you haven't set the destination.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
YoMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by YoMan »

That's right. I was simply showing the screen I was talking about. As I described, I have filled all of that in several times with the same result.SB

I just discovered the problem. Backintime apparently will not make a backup to a microsd card even though it "sees" it and allows a path entry to it. As soon as I changed the path to a USB device, the setup screen closed and the Main window opened. I guess I need to use some other software.
Thanks.
CapraFan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CapraFan »

Is it formatted ext4?
YoMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by YoMan »

Yup. Already have some Timeshift snapshots on it.

I'm trying to write this as I wipe the egg off my face. I just discovered that the micro SD card had root privalages. Not sure why owner was root (maybe when I formatted?) but, as soon as I changed owner, Backintime was able to create a snapshot there. Worked just fine. Grsync also worked fine after I learned the proper "exclude" syntax.

Return to “Software & Applications”