Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
punKin_mint
Level 1
Level 1

settings are missing

Post by punKin_mint »

ok, this is a new one on me, tho I bet you guys have heard of it. I was doing some streamlining, taking off some icon themes I tried and didn't like, and for some reason the control center button disappeared on my home menu.

not to mention the theme menu is gone. I clicked to check the panel and it says "failed to execute child process cinnamon-settings" file not found or something.
The rest of the system is working fine, but my settings menu is gone. What'd I do wrong???

I reinstalled a couple of the themes, thinking that might fix it, but no soap. A little help would be mightily appreciated. Keep in mind I am a TOTAL idiot when it comes to using terminal, so please avoid that if possible.

once again, I'm on a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5040, running MInt 19.3 Cinnamon. Look up the rest of the specs, I just get confused.
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: settings are missing

Post by LanceM »

You need to disclose the version of Mint. Is it Mint 19.3 Cinnamon? Next, you will likely need the Terminal. Commands can be copied from here and pasted in the Terminal.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
punKin_mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by punKin_mint »

ok, I repeat, I am a TOTAL IDIOT when it comes to terminal or command line or whatever it's called. It doesn't matter anyway, since when I started my laptop today I got a blank screen that said it couldn't find cinnamon session or something, so I had to reinstall the WHOLE thing again! Which means I once again have no vivaldi browser an=gain. But I won't even bother asking how to install that again, since you'll just tell me to use the terminal.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

I don't think that you absolutely need to use the terminal in order to use vivaldi - although there are possibly pluses if you do.

Go to
https://vivaldi.com/download/
& you should be offered a download of
vivaldi-stable_3.1.1929.45-1_amd64.deb

Download that.
Go to downloaded file & right mouse click on it.
The first option offered will be
Open with GDebi Package Installer.
Select that, wait a few seconds & then click the
Install Package button..
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

The only reason to use terminal is that it is far easier and more accurate to describe what needs to be done to achieve the desired result. You tell me what is easier,

Press <Ctrl><Alt>T to open a terminal and type inxi - Fxz

or

click on the Linux mint Icon to bring up the "start" (windows speak) menu then the "preferences menu" then the "system Info Icon"

Don't forget those icons (depending upon your theme) may be different to the ones on my system.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:52 am
Press <Ctrl><Alt>T to open a terminal and type inxi - Fxz
You can find the fully graphical version of this one liner here: How to post your Linux Mint System Information (inxi report)
I guess comparing the 2 instructions will confirm that writing the one-liner takes much much less time than creating a graphical step by step instruction.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Return to “Software & Applications”