Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Chromium - none on mint 20

Post by urdrwho »

Replaced the kitchen computers mint 19.3 with 20. Everything went well except when I went to install Chromium. It is an empty package. The kitchen computer is a shared computer. My wife uses Vivaldi, has her password manager, etc. on VIvaldi - my browser was Chromium. All my saved bookmarks etc. on Chromium are gone without Chromium.

I tried to install the PPA (Saikrishna Arcot’s Chromium BETA PPA) that I've seen applied the install commands but no Chromium.

Easy way would be a DEB file but I can't find one.

So far this is the only draw back I've seen in 20.

I don't do SNAPs --- not a fan.

Chromium has been around forever --- why make it so hard?

Any ideas?

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Chromium - none on mint 20

Post by Pepi »

I’m guessing but ... I would say it’s because Mint 20 doesn’t support SNAP. Probably will need to install it manually

urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

I thought that going through adding the PPA and manually adding commands was manually installing it. Are you saying it was actually trying to install through SNAPS?

I'm fine without SNAPs. One time I tried it on one of my computers and it seemed to be very inefficient.

igmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by igmint »

urdrwho wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:12 pm
Any ideas?
The portable https://download-chromium.appspot.com/ version runs from /home/user/chrome-linux/chrome-wrapper
translated by googlemachine

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Bothering me as well, using Google Chrome for the time being (installs from .deb and adds PPA to Update Manager.) There are other reliable Chromium based browsers that work well and install easily from .deb. Opera was great but I'm leery of the China ownership now. The Vivaldi spin seems safe and to render sites consistently, and the interface is pretty nice. Moving off Chrome, I'd start with Vivaldi.

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/manual ... ositories/
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).

urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Do you know if the program gets updates through system updates?
igmint wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 pm
urdrwho wrote:
Any ideas?
The portable https://download-chromium.appspot.com/ version runs from /home/user/chrome-linux/chrome-wrapper

urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

I'm the same with you on Opera.

I have Vivaldi on several computers in the house. The reason I was still using chromium on the kitchen comp was because of the history and bookmarks and saved passwords.
I2k4 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:01 pm
Bothering me as well, using Google Chrome for the time being (installs from .deb and adds PPA to Update Manager.) There are other reliable Chromium based browsers that work well and install easily from .deb. Opera was great but I'm leery of the China ownership now. The Vivaldi spin seems safe and to render sites consistently, and the interface is pretty nice. Moving off Chrome, I'd start with Vivaldi.

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/manual ... ositories/

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Release notes LinuxMInt 20 quote:
Chromium is not present in the default repositories. To install it from alternative sources read https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... omium.html.

The Snap Store is disabled in Linux Mint 20. For more information on this or to re-enable it read https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /snap.html.

Explanation as to WHY Chromium is no longer being offered in LM20:

Quote LinuxMint blog:
the Chromium package is indeed empty and acting, without your consent, as a backdoor by connecting your computer to the Ubuntu Store. Applications in this store cannot be patched, or pinned. You can’t audit them, hold them, modify them or even point snap to a different store. You’ve as much empowerment with this as if you were using proprietary software, i.e. none. This is in effect similar to a commercial proprietary solution, but with two major differences: It runs as root, and it installs itself without asking you.

First, I’m happy to confirm that Linux Mint 20, like previous Mint releases will not ship with any snaps or snapd installed. Second, to address this situation we’ll do exactly what we said we would:

In Linux Mint 20, Chromium won’t be an empty package which installs snapd behind your back. It will be an empty package which tells you why it’s empty and tells you where to look to get Chromium yourself.
In Linux Mint 20, APT will forbid snapd from getting installed.

You’ll still be able to install it yourself and we’ll document this in the release notes, but by default APT won’t allow repository packages from doing this on your behalf.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

urdrwho wrote:
Pepi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:28 pm
I2k4 wrote:
If only you people had bothered to read the release notes.
Chromium is not present in the default repositories. To install it...
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I2k4 wrote:
No need to get chippy. I knew about this when the Beta came out, and it would be a bother. Chromium doesn't feed the Google Data Machine in the same way as Chrome, and as the OP notes, going to Vivaldi would require importing however much configuration it can handle and then setting up its sync services across new browsers on a bunch of PCs and Android devices. No fun for long term users of Chromium and wish it hadn't happened. (I'm having similar "workaround" experiences with Cherrytree and XnViewMP, that haven't released current debs or PPAs for Ubuntu 20.04 It's not the Mint team's fault AFAIK.).
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).

urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Yep I normally don't read release notes. I am a dog that is accustomed to an OS that once released it means it went through the testing. I'm also a dog that is accustomed to programs being available that have been there for oh say --- for a loooong time.

So no I don't read release notes. :) Seems when I do internet searching there were quite a few more than me that didn't know it wouldn't be in the repository. I'll check out the link as the why.

Several weeks ago I did catch wind that SNAPs wasn't included.
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:16 pm
urdrwho wrote:
Pepi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:28 pm
I2k4 wrote:

urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

No need to get chippy.
Kind of starts giving me the feeling of the Manjaro forum.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

I sometimes do read the release notes, but the moment I have read them I have already forgotten about them, because they contain so much information. So I think it is a really good question that the original poster has posted and it is a question that will hopefully help out many others on this forum, who are wondering as well why Chromium isnt supported any longer, which is quite a big thing in the LinuxMint community. See the LM20 release notes for the detailed explanation...

BUT this whole Chromium issue basically still can be solved quite easily:

1 Install Google Chrome (instead of Chromium) very simply, if you dont mind about the privacy issues with Google. At least you can be sure Google Chrome is a trusted installer ! Visit the Google Chrome Website: https://www.google.com/chrome/ . Download and install the provided package and it will automatically add the Google repositories to your operating system.

2 Switch to Firefox or another trusted alternative, which is most likely based on Google Chrome or Firefox anyway... :D

3 Or enable snap again, with a simple command line:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref
apt update
apt install snapd
Beware ! Enabling snap has systematic problems, explained in the release notes of LM20 and the LinuxMint creators do not advise to enable snap again for good reasons. For more information read https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... #snapstore .

4 Last option is to install a Chromium PPA, but that option is definitely not recommended by me personally at all, (I will strongly warn against it) because any Chromium PPA has potentially got severe security risks, because we dont know (yet) for sure if the creator of any Chromium PPA can be trusted.
Unofficial repositories and PPAs provide easy access to packages and updates. As always, with unofficial sources, you need to trust the maintainer when it comes to software stability, security and frequency of updates.
https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... omium.html
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:56 am, edited 9 times in total.

urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Went to the release page and saw someone recommended slimjet chromium.

Installed it, logged into my google account, synced and now I have all my history, bookmarks, etc. Plus it seems very light on resources.

https://www.slimjet.com

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

I am not a fan of Google whatsoever, but in the case IF I really wanted to use a Google based browser like Chromium, I would not dare trust any PPA just yet. Maybe later, when there have been more user reviews about different kinds of Chromium PPA's. For now I would simply install the official Google Chrome, instead of any Chromium PPA.

Yes, there is no privacy with Google, but at least I am sure Google Chrome is a trusted installer. I dont know yet which one of these Chromium PPA's can be really trusted. Time will tell.... Beware, an internet browser will give access to your entire computer. It's incredibly important to know if the browser creator can be trusted. I just wanted to add this warning to any other user: think twice before you install any Chromium PPA...

igmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by igmint »

urdrwho wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:08 pm
Do you know if the program gets updates through system updates?
No.
translated by googlemachine

weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

urdrwho wrote:
I don't do SNAPs --- not a fan.
Chromium has been around forever --- why make it so hard?
Any ideas?
Neither do I -- about snaps and flatpaks, however, since flatpaks are 100% open source, decentralized and from the community I see it as less problematic/dangerous than snap that is proprietary, centralized and seems like a commercial/enterprise solution from Canonical. The way snap acts resembles Microsoft with that sneaky tactics.

I think Linux Mint should, at least add Chromium to the repo as a deb like Pop!_OS did.

Even though I don't use or like snaps I recognize blacklisting it and making it hard to install can a serious problem to Mint's popularity over time. Why? Because Linux Mint seems to be (according to Ubuntu data), the second distribution after Ubuntu that more uses snaps. :?

What Linux Mint will do if Ubuntu does the same with Chromium to other packages? It will start to get very hard to blacklist those packages and create tons of documentation on how to install them alternatively.

Also, Mint is receiving so much hate because it has blacklisted snapd, or how the media/press say "blocked", "prohibited" it. The channel TuxDigital created a video recently criticizing so badly Mint move on snaps and saying everything Clém used as argument against snap is false.
I don't think such hate and negative content is good for Linux Mint. I love so much this distro and I don't want to see frowned upon.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

weny wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:20 am

Also, Mint is receiving so much hate because it has blacklisted snapd, or how the media/press say "blocked", "prohibited" it.......
I don't think such hate and negative content is good for Linux Mint. I love so much this distro and I don't want to see frowned upon.
Criticism is a good thing I think and as constant in the Linux community as the earth rotating. Weny, my trust in LinuxMint has only increased when I read about the reasons why LinuxMint has chosen to abandon snap. It makes perfect sense to me and it only strengthens my belief that LinuxMint is not an OS that can be easily influenced by commercial partners, which I can only see as a good thing... :D

Quote from https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... #snapstore
Snapd is nothing on its own, it can only work with the Ubuntu Store.

This is a store we can’t audit, which contains software nobody can patch. If we can’t fix or modify software, open-source or not, it provides the same limitations as proprietary software.
There is an active post on this forum in which the developer of LinuxMint participates in solving this issue with an alternative with Chromium:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=321953

Lert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lert »

I did a one off defeat of the snap blocking file according to the Fossbytes link below to get chromium.
Worked fine. I don't know about updating. Maybe will have to go though the same process again.

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-enable-sna ... x-mint-20/

weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

carum carvi wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:42 am
Criticism is a good thing I think and as constant in the Linux community as the earth rotating. Weny, my trust in LinuxMint has only increased when I read about the reasons why LinuxMint has chosen to abandon snap. It makes perfect sense to me and it only strengthens my belief that LinuxMint is not an OS that can be easily influenced by commercial partners, which I can only see as a good thing... :D
Criticism is good but depending on how it's done it can be very bad and harmful, in this case, to the distro. A lot of "big guys" especially from YouTube are already "canceling" Mint and avoiding to recommend it to newcomers, all of this just because of the snap move.

I agree with some parts of the reasons from Linux Mint point of view. My personal reasons for avoiding snap are others -- mainly. Actually, I think some of them can be really interesting to comment, for example, the fact snap has telemetry built-in (no way to opt-out), or that Canonical is shipping unofficial versions of programs as they were officially recognized by the creator, specially in the Snap Store, as it appears as "Official" but when you visit the website these "Official" versions is not recognized, good examples: Signal, Zoom, OpenVPN, SimpleScreenRecorder. Other issue is the fact Snapcraft cares more about the publisher/creator of the specific package than the code and that it can lead to problems long-term and malwares as the code is not so important.

I'm not sure about the audit and patch part as some say you can audit and patch snaps, but some say you can't. Since I'm not a developer I need to research more.
About "you can't point snap to a different store" seems not to be the case

There are a lot of reasons for not using snaps, some are really powerful that even Canonical cannot defend itself. Unfortunately, some of the reasons can also be used to avoid flatpaks (that Linux Mint uses). Double-edged sword. :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”