Page 1 of 2

Back up in LM 20 Cinnamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 am
by myface68
I have running Cinnamon v20. I try the Backup and all what did is a list. Is this a joke software or I am doing something wrong?. Any decent software to back up installed programs?. I have copy of my /home and if something happen( or I screw up), I can reinstall OS, but hate to download software again.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:25 am
by OveS
I use Timeshift to make backups of the system. And Cronopete for backups of /home.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:29 am
by Kadaitcha Man
OveS wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:25 am
I use Timeshift to make backups of the system. And Cronopete for backups of /home.
Timeshift is not a backup program. It is a system snapshot application, similar to Windows system restore. Please stop spreading that falsehood.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 am
by OveS
Apologies.

"I use Timeshift to make snapshots of the system".

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 am
by Cucscspr
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:29 am
OveS wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:25 am
I use Timeshift to make backups of the system. And Cronopete for backups of /home.
Timeshift is not a backup program. It is a system snapshot application, similar to Windows system restore. Please stop spreading that falsehood.
Timeshift absolutely does do backups. They call it snapshot, but if you use rsync mode you can "copy" all files to an external disk, unlike btrfs snapshots which you would have to btrfs send to a different disk. It does hardlink files between snapshots (not to the original files but to the first copy of the files) to save space, these "snapshots" can be hosted on an entirely different disk. It is no different than using the rsync and ln commands yourself, it is just an automated front end.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1143954 ... -snapshots

I believe you are actually the one spreading misinformation due to your lack of understanding of the underlying mechanisms that Timeshift uses.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:03 am
by Kadaitcha Man
Cucscspr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 am
I believe you are actually the one spreading misinformation due to your lack of understanding of the underlying mechanisms that Timeshift uses.
You can believe the moon is made of mouldy green cheese for all I care. I prefer to take the author's view over that of the unchecked opinion of random dudes on the internet.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 am
by myface68
Kadacia is rude to everyone, so do not worry about. All what I want is to back up installed software(games,vbox) so I do not have to download again. I have slow wi-fi connection. Something easy for old man. Too bad that Systemback do not exist any more. Years back, I use MX linux ( I think was v14) and they had backup utility easy to use.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:23 am
by Kadaitcha Man
myface68 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 am
Kadacia is rude to everyone, so do not worry about. All what I want is to back up installed software(games,vbox) so I do not have to download again. I have slow wi-fi connection. Something easy for old man. Too bad that Systemback do not exist any more. Years back, I use MX linux ( I think was v14) and they had backup utility easy to use.
In that case, use Timeshift to take system snapshots. If something goes wrong, it will restore your system. You must have a partition that is formatted ext4 or btrfs.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:24 am
by Cucscspr
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:03 am
Cucscspr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 am
I believe you are actually the one spreading misinformation due to your lack of understanding of the underlying mechanisms that Timeshift uses.
You can believe the moon is made of mouldy green cheese for all I care. I prefer to take the author's view over that of the unchecked opinion of random dudes on the internet.
This is straight from the author's github page, and documentation. Did you even read the authors page that you linked?

"In RSYNC mode, snapshots are taken using rsync and hard-links. Common files are shared between snapshots which saves disk space. Each snapshot is a full system backup that can be browsed with a file manager."

Notice how RSYNC mode "copies all files" to external media, you can even format your system drive and still recover it. You obviously don't understand how rsync works. And your attitude towards others on here is pretty ignorant.

Image

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:28 am
by Kadaitcha Man
Cucscspr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:24 am
This is straight from the author's github page, and documentation. Did you even read the authors page that you linked?
You're really determined. I'll leave you to it. Readers can read the link themselves and see that you didn't quote the relevant part, and they can make up their own minds.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 am
by hydrurga
Just adding fire to the wee squabble here, TimeShift does back up your files but the default setting is not to back up your home directory, including the user files and dot files within.

You *can* also browse the snapshots and restore individual files, and I've done this on occasion.

However, TimeShift is not intended as a backup program as we commonly know it, it is a system restore tool, similar to the System Restore feature on Windows. Calling it a backup program is misleading as it leads folk to think that their documents etc. will be safe, which they probably won't if the default settings are used. Also, it doesn't allow the fine grain backup and restore that a normal backup program provides.

So, TimeShift does "back up" files but it is not what we commonly term a "backup program".

All in my opinion, of course. ;)

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:57 am
by myface68
Just run Timeshift and YES. It will back up /home too, but I exclude and did the root only and hidden in Home. I can not copy the snapshot from root to external usb
HDD SSD(240G). Permition deny. That beat the purpose of backing up. If HDD fail the the snapshot gone too. How do I make myself root so I can back up the dir?.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am
by Cucscspr
You might find something to your liking here, I've used a couple of them.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-open-sou ... for-linux/

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am
by myface68
Cucscspr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am
You might find something to your liking here, I've used a couple of them.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-open-sou ... for-linux/
Thank you. I looked at all of them. One was interesting for me(simple) but 10 years old. I just did timeshift. I had to add root privileged and log in as root to change permition from root to my username in the folder. Then log in as username and copy the folder to external hdd. Kind of complicated, but that may save my ass, as I have tendency to "experiment" with OS. I do have 19.3 on another hdd that I can boot from. Like I posted, I like the software that MX Linux have. Create single ISO file from hdd. Easy to restore, but I am not willing to run MX Linux. I did try and do not like it.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:18 pm
by Cucscspr
myface68 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am
Cucscspr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am
You might find something to your liking here, I've used a couple of them.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-open-sou ... for-linux/
Thank you. I looked at all of them. One was interesting for me(simple) but 10 years old. I just did timeshift. I had to add root privileged and log in as root to change permition from root to my username in the folder. Then log in as username and copy the folder to external hdd. Kind of complicated, but that may save my ass, as I have tendency to "experiment" with OS. I do have 19.3 on another hdd that I can boot from. Like I posted, I like the software that MX Linux have. Create single ISO file from hdd. Easy to restore, but I am not willing to run MX Linux. I did try and do not like it.
If you want simple, just learn rsync. You can rsync everything through gzip and into a single file. It's really not that hard once you get the hang of it.
If you want to have a bullet proof system, learn to install onto a ZFS root. Or at the very least, keep your data on a ZFS partition. You can take an instant snaptshot, or even have automated snapshots. Then use the "zfs send" command to copy the snapshot to a file on another disk or network computer.
There is no comparison to rsync or zfs. It's only a matter of how much you want to learn.

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:32 pm
by Cucscspr
myface68 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am
Cucscspr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am
You might find something to your liking here, I've used a couple of them.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-open-sou ... for-linux/
Thank you. I looked at all of them. One was interesting for me(simple) but 10 years old. I just did timeshift. I had to add root privileged and log in as root to change permition from root to my username in the folder. Then log in as username and copy the folder to external hdd. Kind of complicated, but that may save my ass, as I have tendency to "experiment" with OS. I do have 19.3 on another hdd that I can boot from. Like I posted, I like the software that MX Linux have. Create single ISO file from hdd. Easy to restore, but I am not willing to run MX Linux. I did try and do not like it.
If you want to install to ZFS root using Mint 20:
Before starting installation open a terminal and run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude -y install libzfs2linux zfs-initramfs zfsutils-linux zfs-zed
Then start installation, and when you get to the filesystem picker, choose advanced and select "Experimental ZFS".
Continue as you would normally.

Enjoy!

Image

Re: Back up in Cinamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:53 pm
by Cucscspr
myface68 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am
Cucscspr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am
You might find something to your liking here, I've used a couple of them.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-open-sou ... for-linux/
Thank you. I looked at all of them. One was interesting for me(simple) but 10 years old. I just did timeshift. I had to add root privileged and log in as root to change permition from root to my username in the folder. Then log in as username and copy the folder to external hdd. Kind of complicated, but that may save my ass, as I have tendency to "experiment" with OS. I do have 19.3 on another hdd that I can boot from. Like I posted, I like the software that MX Linux have. Create single ISO file from hdd. Easy to restore, but I am not willing to run MX Linux. I did try and do not like it.
This what you're looking for? Copy your install to ISO?

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/make ... stallation

or this?

https://www.osradar.com/create-your-own ... tu-imager/

Re: Back up in LM 20 Cinnamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:55 pm
by myface68
Years back, there was free simple program for windows that back up and zip installed programs. That way one will not have to download again, just unzip and run install. Is there anything like for Linux?.

Re: Back up in LM 20 Cinnamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:04 pm
by JerryF
myface68 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 am
I have running Cinnamon v20. I try the Backup and all what did is a list. Is this a joke software or I am doing something wrong?. Any decent software to back up installed programs?. I have copy of my /home and if something happen( or I screw up), I can reinstall OS, but hate to download software again.
No, the Mint Backup Tool is not a joke.

Yes, it creates a list of which programs you have installed. When you perform a "Restore", it will install the programs that are missing from your current Mint.

I just used it today when I upgraded from 19.3 to 20.

Re: Back up in LM 20 Cinnamon

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:36 pm
by myface68
JerryF wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:04 pm
myface68 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 am
I have running Cinnamon v20. I try the Backup and all what did is a list. Is this a joke software or I am doing something wrong?. Any decent software to back up installed programs?. I have copy of my /home and if something happen( or I screw up), I can reinstall OS, but hate to download software again.
No, the Mint Backup Tool is not a joke.

Yes, it creates a list of which programs you have installed. When you perform a "Restore", it will install the programs that are missing from your current Mint.

I just used it today when I upgraded from 19.3 to 20.
And what I can do with the list?. The list is useless without actual software back up. Am I missing something?. When the hdd "beat the dust" what is that list good for?.