Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Warpinator questions

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
I now have Mint20 Cinnamon loaded. I can't get my head around Warpinator. Has anyone written a 'how to for dummies'?
I have 3 NAS drives all with different OSs. How do I get my main computer to see them?
EVERYDAY Dual-boot Win7+Cinnamon 20 Thinkpad T440p#2: dual core i5-4300, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD +7 other laptops in various states of use and modification.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Warpinator questions

Post by xenopeek »

Warpinator is a tool to hand over files between two Linux computers. You need to run it on both computers and it requires user interaction at both computers.

Say you have a desktop system and a laptop, both running Linux, and you want to copy some file from the desktop to the laptop. You start Warpinator on both systems (if you haven't set them to start automatically) then on the desktop system click the laptop system and then you can drag files into the window to send them. On the laptop a notification will pop up asking whether you want to accept the files.

It doesn't work with Windows or other proprietary OSes. It doesn't work on a system that doesn't allow for user interaction.

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Thank you Xenopeek.
While your answer is disappointing for my usage, it simply means that I'll try to get Mint20 OS on the NAS drives.
Will it work then?
EVERYDAY Dual-boot Win7+Cinnamon 20 Thinkpad T440p#2: dual core i5-4300, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD +7 other laptops in various states of use and modification.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

If you home built the NAS system, sure. If it is store bought I'd personally leave the OS on it installed I think.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:54 am
It doesn't work on a system that doesn't allow for user interaction.
Maybe you have a different version. My warpinator has a button in Preferences to turn off approval so that interaction isn't required at the receiving end
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I meant you need to run a GUI.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 am
I meant you need to run a GUI.
Oh, ok. I can see why it needs a gui :)
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Hi Kadaitcha Man,
I'm now on separate '/' and '/home' partitions.
Re: Warpinator, does what you said above mean that I don't need to have Mint20 on the NAS drives and simply drive everything from my main computor, or did I misunderstand?

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Warpinator questions2

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
If my main computer has Cinnamon20 and all the others run on Mate, will Warpinator work?
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged here

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Warpinator questions2

Post by Pierre »

it should .. if they are all running LM20, that is.

the Desktop version, shouldn't be an issue.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

Yeah if all running Mint 20, and warpinator is running on all machines, and apparently, make sure using same group code in preferences.
200707.jpg
Reading new features for mint 20 Re, warpinator it says "No more USB sticks or external drive are needed just to send a file."

Frankly didn't need them before. rsync been around awhile, and is so easy to use, hardly a need for a GUI

I just sent that picture from a machine running mint20(Mate) off a live USB, to this machine (mint 19 Mate, no warpinator) using rsync. First took screen shot, and put in folder "~/0707" (rather than ~/pictures/scrnshots for example, to keep command short, and if folder does not exist on destination, it will be created).
Command is pretty short; rsync -avh ~/0707/ rick@192.168.0.100:~/0707
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

rickNS wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:36 pm
Yeah if all running Mint 20, and warpinator is running on all machines, and apparently, make sure using same group code in preferences.
200707.jpg

Reading new features for mint 20 Re, warpinator it says "No more USB sticks or external drive are needed just to send a file."

Frankly didn't need them before. rsync been around awhile, and is so easy to use, hardly a need for a GUI

I just sent that picture from a machine running mint20(Mate) off a live USB, to this machine (mint 19 Mate, no warpinator) using rsync. First took screen shot, and put in folder "~/0707" (rather than ~/pictures/scrnshots for example, to keep command short, and if folder does not exist on destination, it will be created).
Command is pretty short; rsync -avh ~/0707/ rick@192.168.0.100:~/0707
that might be simple for you, but for me it is greek.
have no clue how to write script to make rsync work.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:42 am

Well just in case you did want to learn, I guarantee it would only take a few minutes, and for anyone with more than one machine ( I believe you do) it is something well worth knowing.
You know rsync, that's half of it. Basically rsync -options <source> <destination>. You can send /push files to another machine or get /pull files from another machine. I like, pretty much always use the -a option, it among other things preserves file properties including permissions, as you can see in this well written, to-the-point doc./ how-to; https://www.tecmint.com/rsync-local-rem ... -commands/

don't forget not only useful for sending / retreiving a file or two, but syncing entire directories (/home) if you wish.
No need worry if warpinator is running on the down stairs machine or if all in same group code (workgroup whatever).

Secure copy is very similar, command wise, but need ssh server installed
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

rickNS wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:02 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:42 am

Well just in case you did want to learn, I guarantee it would only take a few minutes, and for anyone with more than one machine ( I believe you do) it is something well worth knowing.
You know rsync, that's half of it. Basically rsync -options <source> <destination>. You can send /push files to another machine or get /pull files from another machine. I like, pretty much always use the -a option, it among other things preserves file properties including permissions, as you can see in this well written, to-the-point doc./ how-to; https://www.tecmint.com/rsync-local-rem ... -commands/

don't forget not only useful for sending / retreiving a file or two, but syncing entire directories (/home) if you wish.
No need worry if warpinator is running on the down stairs machine or if all in same group code (workgroup whatever).

Secure copy is very similar, command wise, but need ssh server installed
Tnx,
and yes, I have 4 laptops of my own, my daughter has 3 :)
I have a Win7 desktop, which must remain that way for a while.

I will read that link and try to get an old dog to learn some tricks.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

To drag & drop files with a non-Linux OS I just use https://www.sharedrop.io/. No software install or setup needed. It's basically Warpinator but running in your web browser and thus working on all devices with a web browser. Handy for quick file transfers. Files are transferred on local network, not through their server.

If you prefer a program you can use https://www.feem.io/ which does the same but needs their client installed. It supports Linux, Windows, Mac and mobile OSes.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

xenopeek wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:19 am
To drag & drop files with a non-Linux OS I just use https://www.sharedrop.io/. No software install or setup needed. It's basically Warpinator but running in your web browser and thus working on all devices with a web browser. Handy for quick file transfers. Files are transferred on local network, not through their server.

If you prefer a program you can use https://www.feem.io/ which does the same but needs their client installed. It supports Linux, Windows, Mac and mobile OSes.
thanks for that heads up, that can solve a lot of problem around this house.
makes it easy to move files w/o having to use a USB thumbdrive.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Hi Xenopeek,
Feem looks better for my needs than Warpinator for only one reason - it seems to be able to handle other OSes in particular Windows7. Always trying to push the envelope, with the appropriate permissions of course, could I send a file/folder to another place across town?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Peter Linu wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 am
could I send a file/folder to another place across town?
Not with these programs, meant for sharing files on your local network.

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Xenopeek,
Can I configure 4 boxes all with different OSs and the main one is the only one with Mint20?

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Don't overlook WeTransfer for PCs not on any network near you.

no file size limit, they have 10 days to download your file.

www.WeTransfer.com
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”