Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Warpinator questions

Post by Peter Linu »

Sorry, my mind is racing and 2 topics are overlaid.
xenopeek, in the home networking environment: will feem handle several OSs, two of which are not Linux?
EVERYDAY Dual-boot Win7+Cinnamon 20 Thinkpad T440p#2: dual core i5-4300, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD +7 other laptops in various states of use and modification.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Peter Linu wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:56 pm
in the home networking environment: will feem handle several OSs, two of which are not Linux?
Yes.

BrunoMiranda
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BrunoMiranda »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:54 am
Say you have a desktop system and a laptop, both running Linux, and you want to copy some file from the desktop to the laptop. You start Warpinator on both systems (if you haven't set them to start automatically) then on the desktop system click the laptop system and then you can drag files into the window to send them. On the laptop a notification will pop up asking whether you want to accept the files.
So basically warpinator is a tool that gives files to another computer, not one that looks up for and downloads files from a server. For the latter we have samba (or using a remote desktop to enter the computer with warpinator and then select what you want to give yourself to the computer you're physically at).

Am I correct?
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Yes. The new features in Linux Mint 20 https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_ci ... atsnew.php explains it as such:
10 years ago, Linux Mint 6 featured a tool called "Giver" which could share files across the local network. Without any server or configuration, computers would automatically see each others and you could simply drag and drop files from one to another. When the Giver project was discontinued it had to be removed from Linux Mint and we’ve been missing that functionality ever since.

Warpinator is a reimplementation of Giver. Server configuration (FTP, NFS, Samba) is overkill for casual file transfers between two computers, and it’s a real pity to use external media (Internet services, USB sticks, external HDDs) just to share files when there’s a local network which could do just that.

With Warpinator, Linux Mint 20 brings back easy file sharing across the local network.

BrunoMiranda
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BrunoMiranda »

Giver. One word says it all.
Now I remember reading this when warpinator was announced on the Mint blog, but thank you very much for bringing it back to my mind, I don't think I'd fish this one out from my memory again.
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)

ingeva
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ingeva »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 am
I meant you need to run a GUI.
I use NFS and Caja if I need to copy files, and rsync for updates. Three of my computers do not use graphics, so Warpinator evidently can't be used. The two that use graphics, the office computer and the laptop, have identical setups of Warpinator (just to test it and get to know it), but they can't find each other. So I have a hard time understanding what's the point.
Mint rules! (20 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

ingeva wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:31 am
xenopeek wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 am
I meant you need to run a GUI.
I use NFS and Caja if I need to copy files, and rsync for updates. Three of my computers do not use graphics, so Warpinator evidently can't be used. The two that use graphics, the office computer and the laptop, have identical setups of Warpinator (just to test it and get to know it), but they can't find each other. So I have a hard time understanding what's the point.
I also use NFS as well but setup Warpinator to see what it was about. Had to make sure I was running the same version on all machines (1.0.6). But what threw me at first was not being on the same network - my wireless and wired are on different networks. Also my VPN and VM caught me as they were on different networks. But once I made sure same version and same network it worked. But I have no use for it . . . . oh well.

ingeva
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ingeva »

majpooper wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:41 am
I also use NFS as well but setup Warpinator to see what it was about. Had to make sure I was running the same version on all machines (1.0.6). But what threw me at first was not being on the same network - my wireless and wired are on different networks. Also my VPN and VM caught me as they were on different networks. But once I made sure same version and same network it worked. But I have no use for it . . . . oh well.
My computers certainly run on the same network, and I usually use caja with NFS or rsync with daemon to backup files regularly.
I have installed SAMBA but it's not used much. The only advantage to NFS is that you can define the root (/) as a shared catalog.
I also have sftp available in case I need to reach my system from my laptop when I'm away from home.
I tried Warpinator because it sounded exciting, but I haven't made it work, and it doesn't match my needs as well as NFS and rsync, so I really don't miss it. Might help if I could run the monitor from a non-GUI system. No need for GUI on the servers.
Mint rules! (20 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)

Return to “Software & Applications”