mt4 question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mt4 question

Post by pak »

Hi Mike

I hope you are still 'out there'! First of all "Festive Greetings" to you at this weird twilight zone time between Christmas & New Years

I have (having limped along with my old lap-top, just running from the usb thumb drive for about 6 weeks as the rest of the lap-top hardware had melted beyond function) purchased a new lap-top. Call it a Christmas present to myself

I am busy setting it up, using all of the posts I'd made on this forum previously to locate the instructions and am rather disappointed in myself as I cant get over the use of 'WINE' to run MetaTrader4

I believe I have created a 'virtual' c:drive
unable to open exe file with wine (virtual windows
unable to open exe file with wine (virtual windows
but I can't locate it
c_drive exists (drive c is a directory)
c_drive exists (drive c is a directory)
and it's not available to open the '.exe.' file
installed wine (virtual c_drive)
installed wine (virtual c_drive)
I understand I should be able to select "Open with Wine windows Program Loader" (per example in https://itsfoss.com/use-windows-applications-linux/ section "Installing an Application with Wine")

Are you able to advice, please?
Have I missed something in the set-up process?
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pak »

this is what I expect to be able to see when I 'right click' the '.exe
Screenshot from 2021-12-26 17-50-48.png
Screenshot from 2021-12-26 17-50-48.png (121.15 KiB) Viewed 259 times
per Munif's really helpful & clear 'step by step' instructions: https://itsfoss.com/use-windows-applications-linux/
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Merry Christmas. I'm not a good resource for Wine since I use Play-on-Linux instead. But I did find these 2 references in my notes:

Install Wine:
viewtopic.php?p=1975097#p1975097

And another person said:
I installed wine the following way. Go to winehq.org, Downloads, Ubuntu, Ubuntu 20.04/Linux Mint 20.x and than copy and paste the sudo... script into the terminal. Follow the instructions. It worked for me.
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pak »

You @mikeflan are an absolute super star

Firstly
Screenshot from 2021-12-27 18-02-22.png
has worked for me, so thank you very much indeed

Secondly I didn't realise there was an alternative to WINE for running mt4 in Linux Mint

Maybe I should have been using 'Play-on-Linux' as opposed to following a laborious set of instructions to download and then activate WINE, as my only requirement is to use my MT4 account

LinuxMint already allows me to do everything else I need:
1 gMail (& other 'google' apps, such as calendar, contact, maps etc) work fine using the FireFox browser, particularly now I have it 'pinned' to the icon tray / panel and set it to always open the tabs that were open when I closed my lap-top down
2. OpenOffice (Apache) / LibreOffice spreadsheets and documents
3. A filing system that looks & feels identical to msWindows 'file explorer'
4. A 'screen snip' that works almost as well as msWindows three button "copy a selection of your screen with your mouse" function

Would you be able to point me in the direction of the 'fors & against' of WINE or 'Play-on-Linux' (as I only have the one requirement - mt4) and a simpletons 'user guide' of step by step instructions to install 'Play-on'Linux' too?

Thanks again for your assistance (your quicker & more helpful than the IT helpdesk my employer of 6,500 staff provides)
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Great.

The nice thing about Play-on'Linux is you don't have to uninstall Wine to install and use Play-on'Linux. Just install Play-on'Linux from Software Manager and try it. Your Wine will still be there. Then if you don't like Play-on'Linux, it is pretty easy to remove. But take a Timeshift snapshot too just in case.
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pak »

which one do you recommend I select?

(ie which are you utilising?) :?
Attachments
play on linux choice.png

Return to “Software & Applications”