Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Gambas 3 won't compile in Mint 20 [SOLVED]

Post by Jerry N »

I have gambas programs that I wrote and compiled in Mint 19.3 (and earlier). In Mint 20, when I load these programs in gambas I get the error messages about missing gb.qt4.ext and CComponent.Load.626. After these error messages, the program loads into the Gambas IDE but will not compile. Anyone have a clue about how to solve this? I have not found a way to install these missing pieces.

Jerry
Last edited by Jerry N on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Gambas 3 won't compile in Mint 20

Post by ajgringo619 »

Ubuntu/Mint 20 have pretty much dumped QT4, so you'll either need to convert your old programs or keep a VM of Mint 19 around. These were the only QT packages I could find for Gambas 3:

Code: Select all

gambas3-gb-qt5-ext              - Gambas extended Qt GUI component          
gambas3-gb-qt5-opengl           - Gambas OpenGL component with QT5 toolkit  
gambas3-gb-qt5-webkit           - Gambas WebKit component
Mint 20 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-54-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
GTX 1070 w/8GB RAM [Folding]
GTX 1050Ti w/4GB RAM [Nvidia v455.38]
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:06 pm
Ubuntu/Mint 20 have pretty much dumped QT4, so you'll either need to convert your old programs or keep a VM of Mint 19 around.
Gambas still requires some qt4 libraries and they should be installed with it.

Code: Select all

gb.qt4.la
    gb.qt4.so
    gb.qt4.so.0
    gb.qt4.so.0.0.0
    gb.qt4.component
    gb.qt4.gambas
    gb.qt4.info
    gb.qt4.list
What may have happened is that there's been a packaging error by Ubuntu. I think that the only thing the op can do is go to the gambas page on sourceforge and try to get the problem sorted by people who are more familiar with it.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jerry N »

Looking at Sourceforge, it appears that gambas hasn't been updated in 3 years. Does that mean gambas is on its way to being a dead language? I really don't want to write programs in python when gambas is event driven and design of forms/control panels is so easy and obvious. OK - I am old and lazy!
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Jerry N wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:16 pm
Does that mean gambas is on its way to being a dead language?
<opinion mode on>
It was already that way from the outset. It's not a standard language used by the open source community, it's just one dude's pet project, and it seriously lacks cross-platform support, though some diehard hax0rs have got it running in Windows, and I've known community projects that took good ideas written in Gambas and rewrote them in C/C++. Still: https://forum.gambas.one/ you might get some help there.
<opinion mode off>
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jerry N »

I was able to solve the problem by starting a new project with a project type of "Graphical Application". I copied my previous code into "FMain.class but I had to completely recreate the Fmain.form. This was a simple form (6 buttons, a text area, and a couple of labels) so that was easy. The program now compiles and runs in Mint Mate 20. Now I don't have to convert the program to Python, if I even can. I am old and impatient and find creating forms in Python (tkinter) to be extremely tedious.

Thanks for the help and comments

Jerry

Return to “Software & Applications”