Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Timeshift

Post by pcpunk »

I've used Timeshift before and it all seemed pretty easy and didn't take too long to create and image. On my new install of Cinnamon 19.3 it is taking forever to finish on excellent hardware, albeit a slow 3.0 Flash Drive. I think because the Flash Drive I was using was not big enough, 16GB. I used to use a 32GB Drive and from what I remember it wasn't even using half that drive? I may have Deleted the original Image though not knowing it was needed to complete the Re-Image when needed. I now have a 64GB Flash Drive and will use that next.

Another thing that is not well explained is whether or not both Root and Home should be checked, and if Home will Only copy System Files and leave Personal files there.

Would someone help me relearn how to use this tool. I looked at the https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... hift.html docs for linuxmint but they don't say much as with much linux documentation.

Thanks pc
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Timeshift

Post by LanceM »

Flash drives are a real bottleneck. A portable drive is so much better. Always delete snapshots with Timeshift, and not by deleting them with the file manager.
The Timeshift default setting ignores Home including personal settings and data. I prefer the following setting.
Ignores-Data-In-Home.jpg
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Yes, flash drive is a bottleneck but I am out of funds to buy another drive right now. This one was basically free with some rewards I used at 9.99 for a 3.0 64GB Drive is pretty good. And the incrementals are a snap from what I remember.

Those look like good settings Lance!

Why did mine take so long if I left it at Defaults? "Exclude All" It makes not sense "Exclude All" would mean nothing would be Imaged right? Are the people writing this program 10yrs old, haha.

What is your routine as to what to keep and what to delete?

Yes, I deleted via Timeshift and that is where I saw the warning that there was not enough space. Eventually I will get a HDD to use for this.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Just started at 4:13 with your settings and this flash drive, we'll see how it goes. I guess I need to be patient because of the flash drive.

Do you mind depending on incrementals?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

pcpunk wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:58 pm
Yes, flash drive is a bottleneck but I am out of funds to buy another drive right now. This one was basically free with some rewards I used at 9.99 for a 3.0 64GB Drive is pretty good. And the incrementals are a snap from what I remember.

Those look like good settings Lance!

Why did mine take so long if I left it at Defaults? "Exclude All" It makes not sense "Exclude All" would mean nothing would be Imaged right? Are the people writing this program 10yrs old, haha. root/root is different than /
The 1st run is everything and slower, after that, it's just changes. Each one is not an image, but backup copies of the files instead.

What is your routine as to what to keep and what to delete? I manually make them and only keep up to three. Then on the 4th, I delete the oldest

Yes, I deleted via Timeshift and that is where I saw the warning that there was not enough space. Eventually I will get a HDD to use for this.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

But how do you deal with the first Full Image? Leave that one and delete the Incrementals?

Mine is now at 30min and still looks like another 15 to go, though it says 6min I don't believe it. This is not efficient! I guess I shouldn't expect too much with a Flash Drive.

45 minutes now! Terrible, this is not what I remember Timeshift doing in the past. This is a clean install with almost no packages installed and only a few settings changed. It says 7 minutes remaining, but I know that is bull! Could have imaged my windows 7 twice now with 170GB, this is not acceptable!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Each one is a full file backup. As long as you keep one, the new one won't take as long because, like I said, it's just file changes,
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

It took like an hour and a half, and is taking up 16.2GB of space...roughly, waiting for the actual Timeshift Folder to tell me how much is in it, looks like 12.5! Hope the next Image is a lot shorter.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

pcpunk wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:59 pm
It took like an hour and a half, and is taking up 16.2GB of space...roughly, waiting for the actual Timeshift Folder to tell me how much is in it, looks like 12.5! Hope the next Image is a lot shorter.
It will take less time, but still slow. I use an external SSD. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PK ... UTF8&psc=1
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

At least the darn thing finished haha.

Very interesting looking SSD there! I have One External SSD now that has proved dependable, Samsung T5! I've been stickin with Samsung for now and see how they do me. I will need to get another soon. I have a docking station so maybe I'll just get a cheap 120GB Internal SSD and use it as an External.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

I't best to buy a dedicated one. The garbage collection is engineered specifically for external use. That Adata is a very dependable choice and the good price makes it just the same as a regular SSD. It does a snapshot in 1 min 5 sec on the first run, and deletes them in a few seconds". I only use it for snapshots. Overall Adata makes good products and that drive handles Extt4 realy well.
Last edited by LanceM on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Okay, will forget about the Internal to use as external.

Yes that thing is inexpensive!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Here's the write speed and read speed

Code: Select all

lance@LM:~$ mkdir /media/lance/A_240/tmp/
lance@LM:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/lance/A_240/tmp/output.img bs=8k count=256k conv=fdatasync
262144+0 records in
262144+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB, 2.0 GiB) copied, 5.61551 s, 382 MB/s
lance@LM:~$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   34734 MB in  1.99 seconds = 17495.04 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 1288 MB in  3.00 seconds = 428.99 MB/sec
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Bear in mind a mechanical external drive is pretty good. Mine does the 1st snapshot in 2 min 10 sec. They are remarkably durable, generally speaking. I like these very well. Great service out of them. No failures. https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Po ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Yep, mechanical's are fine also, really close the most SSDs at least for the older hardware I'm running. If you have modern hardware then you can get really fast ssd's, Type C Ports and such. I have a WD Passport Metal I use for Windows. Another for work is the Samsung T5 SSD, faster than my ports will allow I think.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Software & Applications”