Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
simonbael
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20 Cinnamon Desktop Settings?

Post by simonbael »

I have been using Mint since..well, forever. This upgrade was the first time something went bad. The upgrade from 19.3 to 20 ended up being a washout, but I had backed up so it was fine. What I ended up doing was doing a fresh 20 install onto a new drive. It went fine. But now I have a question: where in the heck is the desktop setting in system settings? I have two machines both running 20, but no desktop settings. Is this a change and the links to the desktop settings just haven't been pulled uey, or ... Is there an additional build package I didn't know about? I actually installed Mate, and it has a desktop setting still. So, can anyone point me in the right direction to either confirm there is no longer a desktop setting feature or, perhaps a way of getting it? Other than that, it's quite quick and I expect hiccups this early. Great work Clem and team!

Simon
ThinkPads: T420, 430, 430s, 440, 530, W
H
istory:
Free BSD 2.2.9 ;) Mandrake 5.1-Red Hat 6-Debian 3.0-9, Ubuntu5.04-16.10, Mint 3.1-19.3
Current: Debian 9, Mint 19.3

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 20 Cinnamon Desktop Settings?

Post by xenopeek »

It's part of Cinnamon Settings and not something that can be installed (or removed) separately. Open System Settings from your menu and you will find Desktop in the Preferences section. That is for configuring which icons are shown on your desktop and where. Desktop background you configure there through Backgrounds in the Appearance section. To configure layout of icons on your desktop (such as auto-arrange or not), right click the desktop and select Customize.

simonbael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simonbael »

Xenopeek,

I appreciate the reply. That is what I am saying, there is no desktop settings option. It is missing. When I go to settings, there is no desktop. When I right-click on the desktop, for example, and click customize, there will be a link at the bottom to get to desktop settings, but it takes me right back to the settings, where there is no desktop setting pane, panel, icon. In 19.3 this would take me right to the desktop settings under settings. So I am curious about what happened. It sounds like something with the install went bad again. Even a search on the system for desktop yields zilch.

JD Howe
H
istory:
Free BSD 2.2.9 ;) Mandrake 5.1-Red Hat 6-Debian 3.0-9, Ubuntu5.04-16.10, Mint 3.1-19.3

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I really can't say unless you modified files in system directories.

Try reinstalling it:
apt install --reinstall cinnamon-common

If that doesn't help try starting it from the terminal
cinnamon-settings desktop
Share output here if any errors (you can ignore deprecation warnings).

Still no clues? Check with apt policy cinnamon-common that you have version 4.6.6+ulyana installed.
And with file /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_desktop.py that this file is a Python script, ASCII text executable.

simonbael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simonbael »

First, thank you.

I had tried all of those prior to posting and came back with the same result. The cs_desktop.py is here. I just can't get it to work. The cinnamon version is current. I appreciate your input here, I was making sure I had all my bases covered before slipping back to 19.3. I am not a fan of desktop icons, but the real issue is putting this out here for the family to use without the ability to customize as they like. And this is after the first upgrade attempt failed bad enough that I had to wipe and reinstall. I am on Thinkpads here and have had zero issues with upgrades in a long time.

No worries here! I will consider this one of those issues that have crept in from a user end mistake. I will re-download a 20 image later and put it on the test machine. Maybe something happened in the download or the write. Thanks again!

Simon
H
istory:

simonbael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simonbael »

So I re-downloaded the image and put it onto a new thumb drive and installed it on a different Thinkpad. I ended up with a whole slew of issues such as the inability to use an external monitor, suspend problems, a battery drain issue, and on re-boot, it just hangs. Took it to a different Think Pad and everything worked until the reboot. These are not brand new machines and I haven't tweaked anything, so I think I will keep everything on 19.3 until enough machines have been installed on with bugs tracked and fixed.

For anyone else, don't rely on a timeshift or a basic back up. I keep reading all of these angry comments from "experienced" users who end up losing everything when they back up to their own machine or worse yet don't get redundant with other means of storage. My current state OS is backed up to external drives, all of my important files are doubly backed up on the cloud and on external drives. It seems the frustration of upgrades would be reduced if more people put a little extra time into this.

I really look forward to 20.

SImon
H
istory:

Return to “Software & Applications”