Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Kdenlive 20 disappearing Solved

Post by sevenmpd »

Good evening need some help once again I thought I'd be clever and upgrade from Kdenlive 19.12.3 to Kdenlive 20 so I downloaded the latest version from the Kdenlive website using the appinster, I then removed the old version following the instructions on Kdenlive website I change the permissions of the downloaded file to “Allow executing file as program” so now to my problem when I double click the file Kdenlive 20.04.1 opens and loads but when I close it it disappears and is not listed in the menu to restart it I have to double click the download file again. It's no problem reinstalling Kdenlive 19.12.3 via the software manager but I would really like the latest version if possible.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
H
Last edited by sevenmpd on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Kdenlive 20 disappearing

Post by hydrurga »

Would it not have been easier to add the Kdenlive PPA (ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable) to your software sources?
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

sevenmpd wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:59 pm
... so now to my problem when I double click the file Kdenlive 20.04.1 opens and loads but when I close it it disappears and is not listed in the menu to restart it I have to double click the download file again
You downloaded the AppImage edition of Kdenlive, and the behavior you are seeing is normal. For most AppImages the first time you launch the program you are asked if you want to integrate the AppImage to your desktop - this will create menu entries, etc. Kdenlive does not do this.

You can create a Menu entry and a desktop launchers manually. To create a Menu entry for Cinnamon, right-click the Menu icon and select Configure. Click on the Menu tab, click Open the Menu Editor, and click New Item. Give it a name, and for the Command enter the full path to the AppImage file. If the file is in /home/sevenmpd/Downloads, the full path you would enter is

Code: Select all

/home/sevenmpd/Downloads/kdenlive-20.04.1b-x86_64.appimage
I use a lot of AppImages, and I find it easier to simply create an AppImages folder and launch them from the File Manager.

One additional issue you might want to resolve is the icon - the default icon is a generic executable. If you are using Cinnamon, open the file browser and navigate to the directory where the AppImage is located, right-click on an empty space in the folder and select Open in Terminal from the menu. Copy/Paste the following command to the terminal.

Code: Select all

./kdenlive-20.04.1b-x86_64.appimage --appimage-extract
This will create a folder named squashfs-root, and the icon is inside. Move the icon to a permanent home (I store my AppImage icons in ~/AppImages/Icons) and then delete the squashfs-root folder.
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks guy's
hydrurga your suggestion worked
Ben followed your instructions however when I clicked on the icon in the menu kept getting 'file no longer available'
A further question is it possible to move the menu entry from 'All application ' to the 'Sound & Video' sub menu
H
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

sevenmpd wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:31 am
Ben followed your instructions however when I clicked on the icon in the menu kept getting 'file no longer available'
A further question is it possible to move the menu entry from 'All application ' to the 'Sound & Video' sub menu
Which desktop are you using? The steps for editing the Menu is similar, but different for Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce.

Can you launch the Kdenlive AppImage from the file manager or the command line? If no, then you need to make it executable.

What is the full Path to the AppImage - which Folder/Directory does the actual file reside? Next, what did you enter in the Command section? The two should be identical. Remember, Linux is case sensitive - /Downloads is not the same as /downloads.

The Menu Configure tool for Cinnamon will let you Copy/Cut/Paste menu entries.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

On MATE, you can right-click on the Mint menu button, select "Edit menu" and then drag and drop applications between categories. I'm sure that this will be similar in Cinnamon and Xfce too.
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevenmpd »

Hi and thanks for your replies I have managed to get Kdenlive into the menu not in the sub menu sound & vision but in 'other' which is better than nothing :D i could not using the menu edit get it to go into sound & vision
H
menu_3.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”