Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ossian13
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20 is prompting me twice for password for the same user

Post by Ossian13 »

Hi,

just installed linux mint 20, and every time i get to enter my password two times, i dont know why the OS is prompting me twice, i looked over the internet but could not find anyting useful. Output of dpkg iss following

Code: Select all

dpkg --list lightdm* *greeter* | grep "^ii"
ii  lightdm                              1.30.0-0ubuntu3.1 amd64        Display Manager
ii  lightdm-settings                     1.4.2             all          LightDM configuration tool
ii  slick-greeter                        1.4.1+ulyana      amd64        Slick-looking LightDM greeter
So there is no other greeter. Idk what else to do. Any ideas? Or a link to a similar problem would be helpful as i could not find any :(.
Also, i change the hostname everytime and it does not get saved after reboot. I manually changed it in /etc/hostname and set it with hostnamectl.
Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Ossian

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 20 is prompting me twice for password for the same user

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
I've moved this topic out of the chat area because you are looking for help, not just chatting. Best of luck!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

This is a wild guess, but I've seen this once before. If the output of cat /etc/hostname has anything more than your machine name, that's probably what's causing this. For example, my present output is this:

scott@scott-HP ~ $ cat /etc/hostname
scott-HP
scott@scott-HP ~ $
If it were this, I would need to remove the second line to remedy the situation:

scott@scott-HP ~ $ cat /etc/hostname
scott-HP
localhost.localdomain
scott@scott-HP ~ $

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

I forgot to add, if that's not the issue, we might get lucky by looking at the output of cat ~/.xsession-errors.old. It's possible the file will be empty, but it might show what's causing this.

EDIT: WOW! It would help if I read ALL the words.

I'm pretty sure your attempts to change the hostname are causing this. On that issue, I'm not the one to be able to help.

Ossian13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ossian13 »

Hi,

thanks for your reply, and thanks to the moderator who moved the topic in the right place. Well the issue seemed to be the fact that i wanted to change my hostname to localhost, and this is why i got 2 promts. After i changed it to smth else, it promted me only once. I guess that localhost is used over the network and that is the reason.

Regards,
Ossian.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

I'm glad you got it figured out. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”