Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
silocoder
Level 1
Level 1

Terminator issue.

Post by silocoder »

Does anyone have Terminator installed?

The following problem exists for me using Cinnamon and MATE. If I move the terminal window and save the window in preferences, it will reopen at the top left corner.
  • Open Up Terminator and move it to some position on screen.
  • Right Click into Preferences and choose Layouts Default and Terminal selections and then Save (https://prnt.sc/trazyk)
  • Close Terminator and reopen.
Does it open in the spot you moved the window to when you saved it?
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Terminator issue.

Post by blackcarajillo »

Go to the window manager setting of Cinnamon and Mate and try to adjust the position there. You have to change the positioning to something else then automatic, like center or manual.
silocoder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by silocoder »

blackcarajillo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:51 pm
Go to the window manager setting of Cinnamon and Mate and try to adjust the position there. You have to change the positioning to something else then automatic, like center or manual.
What does that have to do with Terminator window position? I am talking about this application which is an alternative to Terminal.

https://github.com/gnome-terminator/terminator
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

I know the application but I would try. I use Gnome Terminal so I cannot speak of all the options of Terminator but in my case I can adjust window positioning from the Cinnamon settings and I know how that works in Mate, too. Might help you, might not. ;) Or I am just misunderstanding the issue, than I am sorry.
silocoder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by silocoder »

Terminator is different. I am curious. Where is the window manager settings for Terminal for Cinnamon?
simian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simian »

I can't help, but I have the same issue.
The mate control center has an entry "window" where you specify whether you want new windows centered or not. When the setting is 'off', then the applications should remember their position. This is what terminator does in mint 18.3.
In mint 19, terminator is not rendered at its last position, even though the position is still in the settings. Depending on the "center new windows" setting in the control center, terminator will appear either centered or in the top left corner.
My only solution was to go back to mint 18.3.
silocoder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by silocoder »

If anyone is interested. It is some bug with Linuxmint/Cinnamon. I have a workaround fix so it works in Cinnamon.

Here is an interaction with developer.
https://github.com/gnome-terminator/ter ... issues/168
simian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simian »

Thanks for the workaround. Alas, it doesn't properly work in Mate:
- with spelling "maximised": terminator is rendered at top left, but it displays the proper layout
- with spelling "maximized": terminator is rendered at the position specified in the config file, but it takes liberties with the layout. Panels are not drawn with the correct proportions.

Return to “Software & Applications”