Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
allanherrera
Level 2
Level 2

Any apps needed in Linux?

Post by allanherrera »

I recently read "Make a Linux App" I'm conscious than Linux needs more apps instead of more distros/meta-distros-themes stuff, I'm happy with the software I use and I think is enough, but I want to ask to anybody reading this "Is there an program or an application you need absent in Linux?"
twerq
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Any apps needed in Linux?

Post by twerq »

Hi allanherrera,

so are you kinda market research person here or you just ask for help how to figure out what application to create?

In first case — specialize. Say there are plenty of text editors in linux but there is no any text editor for <here goes the specialization>. And if it hard to figure out you should definitely learn marketing.
If latter I'll suggest you switch to field you really interested in its depth. And eventually you'll get yourself doing something over and over again. It can be automated, here goes your application.
allanherrera
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanherrera »

twerq wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:59 pm
so are you kinda market research person here or you just ask for help how to figure out what application to create?

Say there are plenty of text editors in linux but there is no any text editor for <here goes the specialization>. And if it hard to figure out you should definitely learn marketing.
Hey twerq!

That's a great idea, go for specialized IDEs, it's a double sided knife but it's great listen that, and, no, I'm not a marketing researcher, I'm just an Linux user wanting to improve our environment.

PS: If you talk with a real marketing researcher, don't say you know is a reasearcher, will fear and gone, leave him/her ask for helping to improve linux, anyway will help to make Linux greater.
claude_edmonton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by claude_edmonton »

allanherrera wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:21 pm
I recently read "Make a Linux App" I'm conscious than Linux needs more apps instead of more distros/meta-distros-themes stuff, I'm happy with the software I use and I think is enough, but I want to ask to anybody reading this "Is there an program or an application you need absent in Linux?"
Like I said in my other posts, a software that will help me create a virtual webcam to stream desktop on websites/Zoom/Jitsu without having to enter command lines and install plug-ins, just a simple straighforward solution. Existing solutions on the market are not working and require tons of terminal work that ends up in error messages.
allanherrera
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanherrera »

claude_edmonton wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:08 pm
a software that will help me create a virtual webcam to stream desktop on websites/Zoom/Jitsu without having to enter command lines and install plug-ins, just a simple straighforward solution. Existing solutions on the market are not working and require tons of terminal work that ends up in error messages.
What about OBS studio, it's quite overkill for the task bit leaves you do so, a montage for a virtual webcam.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install obs-studio 
claude_edmonton
Level 2
Level 2

allanherrera wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:12 pm
claude_edmonton wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:08 pm
a software that will help me create a virtual webcam to stream desktop on websites/Zoom/Jitsu without having to enter command lines and install plug-ins, just a simple straighforward solution. Existing solutions on the market are not working and require tons of terminal work that ends up in error messages.
What about OBS studio, it's quite overkill for the task bit leaves you do so, a montage for a virtual webcam.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install obs-studio 
It's not working.

I've installed V4L2 Loopback, obs-v4l2 sink, v4l-utils.

I did: sudo modprobe v4l2loopback devices=4

Then this:
v4l2-ctl --list-devices

Which gave me:
Dummy video device (0x0000) (platform:v4l2loopback-000):
/dev/video2

HP HD Webcam: HP HD Webcam (usb-0000:00:14.0-7.2):
/dev/video0
/dev/video1

I fire up OBS. I see my second desktop on the screen. I go in tools, V4l2 Video Output. I choose /dev/video2

But it only streams a black square, not my desktop.

So after countless hours of wikis and youtube tutorials end entering command lines, I'm stuck at this point.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

allanherrera wrote:
"Is there an program or an application you need absent in Linux?"
A good *simple* database program to easily maintain and analyze data.

A *good* desktop publishing program that can handle book-length projects without having to prepare each chapter separately.

A good free and open-source password program that can paste passwords. I suppose a cross of Lastpass and Keepass.

A no-squint program for those of us with older eyes, but not blind.

A decent Linux strategy game that is not hugely complex. Something like Civ II.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0 Ulyana
twerq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twerq »

allanherrera wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:20 pm
I'm just an Linux user wanting to improve our environment.
Why not to contribute to already existing project? I would use a plugin for Cinnamon, e.g. pomodoro timer. There is one already and it either inconvenient or not working if I remember correctly. For some reason I didn't want to use it
allanherrera wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:20 pm
PS: If you talk with a real marketing researcher, don't say you know is a reasearcher, will fear and gone, leave him/her ask for helping to improve linux, anyway will help to make Linux greater.
Ahhh, okay :)

cecilieaux wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:28 pm
allanherrera wrote:
"Is there an program or an application you need absent in Linux?"
sqlitebrowser?
cecilieaux wrote:
lincity, lincity-ng?
cecilieaux wrote:
A good free and open-source password program that can paste passwords. I suppose a cross of Lastpass and Keepass.
I would take a closer look at this request.
cecilieaux wrote:
A no-squint program for those of us with older eyes, but not blind.
Of course we should take care of those who are older
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Wireless digital camera tethering would make my day :)
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Irfanview for Mint would get you many many kudos. Yeah - I know it can be done in VM but natively would be better.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

A way to combine audio sources in software would be great .. so that, for example, one can mix system audio with the microphone input on video calls, without feeding the incoming signal back in & creating a loop. The latter can probably be avoided using separate sinks (which is the easy bit).

It might be easier if I draw a diagram. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm
Irfanview for Mint would get you many many kudos. Yeah - I know it can be done in VM but natively would be better.
XnView MP is worth a whirl if you haven't done so already.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

BG405 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:43 pm
A way to combine audio sources in software would be great .. so that, for example, one can mix system audio with the microphone input on video calls, without feeding the incoming signal back in & creating a loop. The latter can probably be avoided using separate sinks (which is the easy bit).

I'm attempting to help a user with just such a scenario here, but the lack of a recent reply doesn't bode well for the outcome.

Even if I were any good at coding, a GUI way to do this would be a ridiculous time sink. I looked at the code for MX Linux's Sound app thingie, and the number of files and lines of code to accomplish somewhat simple tasks was crazy.

Maybe when Pipewire gets closer to replacing PulseAudio this might be doable.
claude_edmonton
Level 2
Level 2

BG405 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Yes, I would definitely need that too. Having to switch between sources between each speaker on Pulseaudio when trying to record a conversation is a pain,

We're in a remote work era. Everything that can simplify all the tasks that need to be done or make possible what is doable in Windows but not in Linux in a GUI way, no command-line, would be awesome.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

hydrurga wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 pm
gittiest personITW wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm
XnView MP is worth a whirl if you haven't done so already.
Yes, I use XNView MP along with Kolourpaint and Nomacs - its the nearest combination I can find.
I do miss IrfanView though.
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

Gimp
AI click to crop features on gimp

The ability to make graphic text and outlined text easier via making third party extensions defaults.

LibreOffice

Real time preview of font changes on LibreOffice

Other

An open source front end that can read SAAPI5 voices. Or entirely FOSS text to speech technology that doesn't suck.

A open source tool to caption images and customize fonts

Please do not recommend gimp for this. As this is a task unto itself.

An stand alone graph/piechart making program like the old kchart.

PDF editing software that is FOSS.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
claude_edmonton
Level 2
Level 2

I'm adding another idea.

It would be great to have an image editor where we could easily crop, resize, annotate and combine pictures. GIMP is overkilling it for these simple features and makes those functions way too complicates to use.

Pinta and GNU Paint just aren't as good and straighforward as Paint is.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

twerq wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:52 pm
cecilieaux wrote:

sqlitebrowser?

Doesn't recognize dbf files or even LibreOffice files.
cecilieaux wrote:
lincity, lincity-ng?
cecilieaux wrote:

Lincity is a simulation program attempting, but failing, to match SimCity. Strategy games typically involve hypothetical histories of countries, empires, etc., such as Civilization. FreeCiv is the closest thing, but I can never even make it work for any decent period of time.

The Steam versions are more elaborate versions of Civilization than II (I got IV but it had too much eyecandy and little action).
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0 Ulyana
TheyLive
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheyLive »

GoodSync + GUI

Return to “Software & Applications”