Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Any apps needed in Linux?

Post by MartyMint »

I'd love to see more RGB hardware/software integration for controlling RGB peripherals, like gaming keyboards and case lighting.
TheyLive
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheyLive »

Genuine Intel video drivers + GUI like Windows
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

cecilieaux wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:13 pm
cecilieaux wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:28 pm

A good *simple* database program to easily maintain and analyze data.
sqlitebrowser?

Doesn't recognize dbf files or even LibreOffice files.
Are you talking dBase files here. From my time with that program (last century) all they were was a bloody great long text file so you could easily import it into Calc without too much difficulty. IIRC the header determined the structure of the file and all else that followed was the data fields of fixed length. If a field was blank, then there were blanks stored to the number of spaces in that field.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
allanherrera
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanherrera »

claude_edmonton wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am
I'm adding another idea.

It would be great to have an image editor where we could easily crop, resize, annotate and combine pictures. GIMP is overkilling it for these simple features and makes those functions way too complicates to use.

Pinta and GNU Paint just aren't as good and straighforward as Paint is.
Yes, GIMP is an overkill, is a Photoshop for Linux for real, I would recommend Xpaint, looks old, but does it job
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

ksnip might do what you want?
Screenshot_20200820_034638.jpeg
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

allanherrera wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:21 pm
I recently read "Make a Linux App" I'm conscious than Linux needs more apps instead of more distros/meta-distros-themes stuff, I'm happy with the software I use and I think is enough, but I want to ask to anybody reading this "Is there an program or an application you need absent in Linux?"
The biggest deficiency for me is in file managers and cloud storage sync, as compared with several full-featured Android apps for different cloud storage services, I havent found any Ubuntu-based file manager or extension that will connect with cloud storage to display and access the online folder system. I use X-plore in Android (there are others), and Mega, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive are right there via wifi or mobile data. Files can be moved, copied, deleted etc. between any of those online and the local internal or microSD storage. The only desktop synching clients available for Ubuntu local storage are Dropbox and Mega - otherwise have to access files on these services through clumsy websites in a browser - there are also excellent Android apps to automate local folder sync for other services.

Would be interesting for a developer to look at Android file managers like X-plore (Lonely Cat), and also at the Android local storage sync clients like AutoSync (MetaCtrl) and FolderSync (Tacit Dynamics).
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).

Return to “Software & Applications”