Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Recommendations for a ftp app

Post by jackerbes »

I'm running 64-bit Mint 19.3 on a Lenovo T520 laptop and want to add an application to that for making ftp uploads. I tried Filezilla but it did not work and I noticed that it describes itself as good only for the later versions of Windows and Macs.

So I uninstalled that and am looking for a suggestion as to what is a good ftp app for making ftp ftp and sftp uploads to a server.

I'll use it for linking to images of eBay goods I'll be selling and may also do some sftp uploads eventually.

I'd like to have one of the ones with a graphic interface. I looked at vsftp but if I understand it right, that is run from the terminal or command line interface. I'd really like to have an app with a graphic interface.

Jack
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T520 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA
bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Recommendations for a ftp app

Post by bertradio »

I've used Filezilla with 19.3 with no problems. It does work and it's both stable and filled with features.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1000 »

... want to add an application to that for making ftp uploads. ... I tried Filezilla but it did not work
Pffffffffffff :D
You need " server app " to send files and " client app " to download.
You probably only used the client app.

Most of the servers are text-based applications, for example ftp.
Most of the client app has a GUI (graphic user interface).

If you want to use ftp through a web browser (web browser like client app), you need read about ftp over http / https.

You should also know that connection in ftp is not encrypted and the password is easy to intercept.
So you can use ftp whenever you want your files repository to be public.
If you don't want to make ftp public then you need to send ftp via ssh.
This is a bit problematic because first you have to login via ssh, then you can login / connect to ftp.

Something else,
I used FileZilla client long time ago, worked. It can cause problems because it based linux commands and work a little differently, but it worked.
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jackerbes »

Thanks for the replies, looks like we are closing in on a solution or what I need to do next to explore this.

I'm going to let this thread run for another day or so and then I give it another try. And it looks like Filezilla can work after all.

Jack
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T520 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I've been using the FileZilla application, as found in the repos, for years, for both uploads and downloads. It works fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Simply typing e.g. ftp://ftp.server.com/me/uploads into your graphical file-manager's location bar may also be an option though.

Return to “Software & Applications”