Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Synaptic Status "Installed (local or obsolete)"

Post by gemk65 »

In my Linux Mint 19.3, I see that Synaptic lists 8 files with the status "Installed (local or obsolete)". A Mint Forum post by squeezy on June 18 2012 states that the package "upgrade-system" (in Synaptic's repositories) will intelligently handle this group of files by removing the unneeded ones and leaving the remainder.

Now, 8 years later, is this still considered a sound approach to these local/obsolete files?
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Synaptic Status "Installed (local or obsolete)"

Post by blackcarajillo »

I have no idea about the original post from 2012 but you should not worry about the obsolete files and if you are unsure you should probably not remove them.
I personally remove them after an upgrade to a new base release and normally it should not be a problem because those packages are no longer in the official repositories. Of course I would first verify what those packages are.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

gemk65 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm
Now, 8 years later, is this still considered a sound approach to these local/obsolete files?
They are also known as foreign packages - installed packages that do not exist in the repos currently set up on your machine. Normally they will include packages you have manually installed via a downloaded deb file. Or packages from a PPA/third party repo that you have subsequently disabled or removed without removing the packages.

What's on your list?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gemk65 »

Thank you, smurphos.

My Synaptic list of these 8 local/obsolete packages (not "files", the term that I mistakenly used in my original post) consists of Zoom (which I did indeed install manually via a downloaded deb file) plus 7 packages, which I do not recognize, and which are all identified as "network manager" or "network management framework".

I don't think that I set up a PPA repository in my current Linux Mint installation.

In the Software Sources window, if I choose Maintenance >> Remove Foreign Packages, only my Zoom package is displayed in the list; the other 7 packages are not displayed in this list, so I guess that they came from Synaptic's regular repositories.

None of the 7 unfamiliar packages are displayed in the Zoom dependencies list when I click (in Synaptic) Zoom >> Properties >> Dependencies.

I even instructed Synaptic to completely uninstall my Zoom, and I found that the 7 unfamiliar packages remained installed.

See my screenshot below:

Sorry that I'm late getting back to you. I posted a reply 24 hours ago, but now I see that my post was not displayed because of the error regarding my screenshot dimensions. This is the first time that I have tried to insert an image into any of my posts.

Return to “Software & Applications”