New feature on LM20?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: New feature on LM20?

Post by BG405 »

richard-g8jvm wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:18 am Only problem is I cant install a 64bit linux VM on this laptop , only 32bit
Is this one of those machines with the hobbled BIOS (VT-x etc. "disabled by BIOS" and no access to the setting to enable it)?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Looks like it, you can run a 32 bit VM but not 64 bit
the other machine has a AMD processor and the bios can be set, but Dell have really knobbled this one.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Interestingly enough I had the same issue with my Acer D255E. When I was running Mint 17.3 KDE on it I managed to bork a few of the config files and thereafter it never checked for it being disabled and the 64-bit VM option "magically" appeared.

When I put Manjaro on it, I was back to square one & couldn't access those 64-bit VMs until I transplanted the HDD into the current laptop.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

After a lot of digging the culprit looks to be sqlite/sqlite3
Even though the author of live_MUF has added extra code to stop the memory leak, ,
all that has happened is it now takes 40 mins instead of 20 mins before OOM kicks in and kills it
SQLITE IS BROKEN
All I can do is to move to mysql
Mysql-5.7 server is also BROKEN it doesn't even run
Mysql-8 is PITA to use, adding a user id difficult, there is NO root login anymore

There is NO default user
in /etc/mysql there is a file debian.cnf
I've found the user and pasword in that will get you into mysql, where another user can be created

Code: Select all

# Automatically generated for Debian scripts. DO NOT TOUCH!
[client]
host     = localhost
user     = debian-sys-maint
password = lHSHekDI7bNI0Rs0
socket   = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
[mysql_upgrade]
host     = localhost

But I still cant get Live_MUF talking to msql, YET !!
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

After a lot of digging the culprit looks to be sqlite/sqlite3
Even though the author of live_MUF has added extra code to stop the memory leak, ,
all that has happened is it now takes 40 mins instead of 20 mins before OOM kicks in and kills it
SQLITE IS BROKEN
All I can do is to move to mysql
Mysql-5.7 server is also BROKEN it doesn't even run
Mysql-8 is PITA to use, adding a user id difficult, there is NO root login anymore

There is NO default user
in /etc/mysql there is a file debian.cnf
I've found the user and pasword in that will get you into mysql, where another user can be created

Code: Select all

# Automatically generated for Debian scripts. DO NOT TOUCH!
[client]
host     = localhost
[mysql_upgrade]
host     = localhost

But I still cant get Live_MUF talking to msql, YET !!
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Starting to get to the bottom of these problems
the problem with SQLite leaking memory is caused by someone deciding to remove the memory recover option in sqlite
Catch 22 , is to put it back in need recompiling, and sqlite is heavily embedded in LM20
so you cant remove it and install the newly fixed compiled version. :(
So Live MUF remains unusable on linux mint 20
To plot the paths worked on Live MUF it needs to to talk to a database, and Live_MUF does not use encryption
So here's another nasty that crept in with LM 20
the version of mysq-8.0.21 in the repo has the strong password option enforced, so its absolutely useless
You need to download the mysql community version which on install give the option of using strong passwords
or compatibility with earlier versions.
I now have two mysql server installed one locally on this laptop, mysql-server-8.0.21 mysql community version, and
mysql-server -5.7.1 installed on a remote SBC running ubuntu 18, but so far I can not get Live MUF to talk to either.
So there is still something else that been knobbled in LM20.

It is really progress to break something that works ????.
The author of Live MUF is using Debian and there is no problem with comms on that.
I tried in desperation to load Debian 10 on this laptop, It took 4 attempts with their crap installer to get something that worked
only to find that as my wifi NIC uses a proprietary driver I had no wifi connection, what absolute crap that distro is !!!!
So I wasn't able to verify that live muf running on debian 10 would talk to the mysql-servers.
Getting any help with this is getting very hard . Nothing has been changed in Live MUF with server comms, it all points back to LM20
jamiemint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jamiemint »

Curiouser and curiouser!

I don't know if it will help, but there is a sandbox version of mysql that is in the repos. http://mysqlsandbox.net/
With this package you can play with new MySQL releases without needing to use other computers. The server installed in the sandbox use non-standard data directory, ports and sockets, so they won't interfere with existing MYSQL installations.
Oops. Just saw a note on their website saying they have been replaced by dbdeployer https://www.dbdeployer.com/, which does not seem to be in the repos. You could probably still use mysql sandbox, however.

Jamie
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

richard-g8jvm wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:33 am ... it all points back to LM20
You realize Mint is a derivative distribution, right? The problem you're having, to the extent it's a system problem (as opposed to operator error), comes from upstream. Belly-aching about it here accomplishes nothing. Literally, nothing.

If you wish to pursue the issue, read the Troubleshooting Guide, which explains how to report problems.
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

JUST MAYBE THOSE YOU DECIDE WHAT TO PACKAGE WILL THINK ABOUT DOES IT WORK BEFORE INCLUSION
if so say nothing , nothing gets done !
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Suit yourself. Doesn't change the fact that belly-aching here accomplishes nothing.

Return to “Software & Applications”