Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GarriXD
Level 1
Level 1

Bluetooth unable to locate any devices

Post by GarriXD »

Howdy guys, I just installed Mint some days ago and everything except the Bluetooth seems to be working flawlessly. Very happy for the user experience, but since I use my laptop (Toshiba satellite l15w-B1208) for working while travelling I often rely on bluetooth devices to be connected to it. Such as headphones and mice. I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to Ubuntu that is I have no technical expertise in the field, so any help given will have to be heavily guided and I apologize for not being too specific in this post but I genuinely don't know what information I can give you that would be of help. Here are some things that I saw other people in other threads have asked about similar issues and sadly none of the help I've read on other forum posts were able to fix my issue.

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for not being 100% clear in the post, as I said I just don't know which info to give that would be of help.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-08-22 11-12-47.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-22 11-12-14.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-22 11-09-44.png
-mbmalone-
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bluetooth unable to locate any devices

Post by -mbmalone- »

I have the same problem with Bluetooth on my Toshiba Satellite CL45. I read that the problem is simply that by default the Bluetooth adapter is turned off and can only be turned on in software using a Toshiba utility. :x

Toshset is a command-line tool allowing access to much of the Toshiba hardware interface. It can do things like control display brightness, set the fan speed, and enable the optional Bluetooth interface.

https://www.itwriting.com/blog/333-fixi ... buntu.html
http://www.schwieters.org/toshset/
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xen ... set.1.html

I'm a newbie, but if you can get toshset_1.76-4_amd64 installed and working, please post a how-to.

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/105841906 ... _amd64.deb

Code: Select all

sudo toshset -bluetooth on
I received "required kernel toshiba support not enabled." and have no idea how to resolve.
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

I had a similar problem, too. But it was on a different computer brand and was with a Broadcom bluetooth modem.

I solved the problem of turning on the bluetooth. Swapped my Linux Mint drive with a Windows drive. I booted into Windows and used it to enable the bluetooth modem. Swapped the drive back to Linux Mint. Started up Linux Mint, and it was working.

:D
Sorry, I don't see your signature or avatar! Want a much nicer display without the noise?
phpBB: User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display Flash, signature, avatars = No
-mbmalone-
Level 1
Level 1

Post by -mbmalone- »

I have a Toshiba Satellite CL45 and finally solved the bluetooth devices not found problem by using the correct wireless driver and installing the correct bluetooth firmware, BCM43142A0-0930-0225.hcd (Version v12.0.1.1105) then powering the computer off and restarting. :shock:

$ lspci -nn -d 14e4:
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01)

This is the preferred driver. It will also install on the LiveUSB.
broadcom-sta-dkms_6.30.223.271-12_all.deb

after, if you don't want to reboot ... but need at least the wireless functional

$ sudo modprobe -r wl
$ sudo modprobe wl
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Larry78723 »

@GarriXD - Please post an inxi -Fxxxz report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

inxi -Fxxxz 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry

Return to “Software & Applications”