Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Perette
Level 1
Level 1

Window components become invisible on second monitor

Post by Perette »

I think this is a new behavior in Linux Mint 20. I've experienced it mostly, maybe entirely, with Thunderbird:

Intermittently, after restoring Thunderbird from being minimized, as I mouse over the window parts of it disappear and revel the desktop image behind.

- I have not seen this on the initial launch.
- I've not had problems on my primary monitor.
- The window is fully displayed when restored. It's as window components refresh that pieces become invisible.
- Dragging the window to the main screen, it starts behaving correctly, and continues correct behavior after dragging it back t the second window.
- There are no black boxes anywhere, neither flickery nor static.
- It doesn't do it reliably after being minimized, only intermittently, but I've never seen it start doing it without first being minimized.

My system: Thinkpad E570 with a USB dock, to which the monitor is connected. DisplayLink USB Graphics Software is installed for this to work.
Perette
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Window components become invisible on second monitor

Post by Perette »

Additional info:

- The problem is not limited to Thunderbird.
- Firefox seems to do something similar to Thunderbird.
- HomeBank does a thing where it disappears entirely when mousing over it after restoring it on the secondary monitor; it comes back when mousing away. Clicking in the window's area when it's disappeared does not seem to register as an application event.
- Rhythmbox does something where it flickers a few times when mousing over it after restore.
- Having other windows open on the secondary monitor may reduce or change the way the problem exhibits.

Clicking the window's title bar seems to fix it.

Return to “Software & Applications”