How do I get GIMP to save as .jpg?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

How do I get GIMP to save as .jpg?

Post by MurphCID »

Gimp wants to save in it own format when I am trying to save for web. How do I force it to save as a .jpg?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How do I get GIMP to save as .jpg?

Post by Moonstone Man »

Select Export As and change the file extension to .jpg.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I tried that and it told me I could not do that action. I'll try again, thank you though.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's exactly what I do, so keep on keepin' on, it's definitely the way to go. Remember, don't Save As, but Export.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

That's the way to do it. Are you sure you selected "Export As"?
Untitled.jpg
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Using Gimp 2.10.14 here. Under Edit/Preferences/Image Import & Export it's possible to change the default export format from PNG to JPG if preferred.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I'm usually editing jpg's so the .jpg is already in the name and I do not have to select that extension when I select the File > Export As

At what point are you receiving the error message?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

SMG wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:39 pm I'm usually editing jpg's so the .jpg is already in the name and I do not have to select that extension when I select the File > Export As

After I edit, and attempt to save.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:09 pm I tried that and it told me I could not do that action.
MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:02 pm After I edit, and attempt to save.
This link Unable to export images is someone using GIMP on Windows, but this person's issue has to do with permissions on the directory to which the person is attempting to save the file. The error in this case is "saving file failed".

Your wording indicates to me that you are not even reaching that point, is that correct? As if "Export As" is not even a permissible function for you?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:02 pm
SMG wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:39 pm I'm usually editing jpg's so the .jpg is already in the name and I do not have to select that extension when I select the File > Export As

After I edit, and attempt to save.
GIMP works similarly to Audacity. Both work only with their own proprietary file format: XFC in the case of GIMP, if my memory serves me correctly. When you open an image in GIMP, you will not be working with the original file format because it will have been converted to the proprietary format. After you have manipulated the image to your liking, you have choices on what to do with it. You can SAVE it in GIMP's file format, EXPORT to the file type of your choice, or both. It's not exactly intuitive but, if you work with it the way the developers designed it, it will work just fine.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

How about a screenshot so we can see what you're seeing?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

SMG wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:21 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:09 pm I tried that and it told me I could not do that action.
MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:02 pm After I edit, and attempt to save.
This link Unable to export images is someone using GIMP on Windows, but this person's issue has to do with permissions on the directory to which the person is attempting to save the file. The error in this case is "saving file failed".

Your wording indicates to me that you are not even reaching that point, is that correct? As if "Export As" is not even a permissible function for you?
I load the image on my computer, then edit it, and when I attempt to save or export, I have to save it in the GIMP format. Plus when I rotate the image and save as it does not save the rotation. It is odd.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:26 pm I load the image on my computer, then edit it, and when I attempt to save or export, I have to save it in the GIMP format. Plus when I rotate the image and save as it does not save the rotation. It is odd.
Yes, it is odd.

What is the format of the original image you load onto your computer.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

SMG wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:41 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:26 pm I load the image on my computer, then edit it, and when I attempt to save or export, I have to save it in the GIMP format. Plus when I rotate the image and save as it does not save the rotation. It is odd.
Yes, it is odd.

What is the format of the original image you load onto your computer.
.jpg is what I load, but when I attempt to save or export, I get the .xcf format and no way to change it.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Instead of going to the File menu for the export function, try pressing Ctrl+Shift+E (or just Ctrl+E) and see what happens.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:51 pm.jpg is what I load, but when I attempt to save or export, I get the .xcf format and no way to change it.
Getting Images out of GIMP says, "GIMP is capable of reading and writing a large variety of graphics file formats. With the exception of GIMP's native XCF file type, file handling is done by Plugins. Thus, it is relatively easy to extend GIMP to support new file types when the need arises."

Maybe your GIMP install is missing some plugins?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks guys I am going to play with it some more over the next week.
Kseanfitz_1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kseanfitz_1 »

Well in trying to get you an answer i found out I have been doing a hard way workaround...
What I just learned is to drop the "file" menu, click "Export As...", in the lower left hand corner click the plus sign to the left of "Select File Type (By Extension)" click it and it will expand slightly and give you a scroll-able menu, just use the scroll bar to the right and select(highlight) from the many file formats listed and then just click the "Export" button and it default exports to the original files directory.
I used to save and exit Gimp and then reopen it in Gimp and the Export as would default to jpg.
BTW part of my OS setup or new Ap setup is to look for and install plugins and extensions for what things may have them and I am reasonably sure I did this for Gimp aka GNU-Gimp.
running LM 20 Cinnamon, Gimp 2.10.18

BTW nice work, I think there is a section for art work around here somewhere :wink:
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
"One, is glad to be of service."
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Mick-Cork wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:37 pm Using Gimp 2.10.14 here. Under Edit/Preferences/Image Import & Export it's possible to change the default export format from PNG to JPG if preferred.
me too.

I just set the Preferences to .jpg and it don't matter what type of image file GIMP opens,
I always use the Contol-Shift-E export kybd method and it always exports as .jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Kseanfitz_1 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:18 pm Well in trying to get you an answer i found out I have been doing a hard way workaround...
What I just learned is to drop the "file" menu, click "Export As...", in the lower left hand corner click the plus sign to the left of "Select File Type (By Extension)" click it and it will expand slightly and give you a scroll-able menu, just use the scroll bar to the right and select(highlight) from the many file formats listed and then just click the "Export" button and it default exports to the original files directory.
I used to save and exit Gimp and then reopen it in Gimp and the Export as would default to jpg.
BTW part of my OS setup or new Ap setup is to look for and install plugins and extensions for what things may have them and I am reasonably sure I did this for Gimp aka GNU-Gimp.
running LM 20 Cinnamon, Gimp 2.10.18

BTW nice work, I think there is a section for art work around here somewhere :wink:
WOW! Thanks, I completely missed that!

Return to “Software & Applications”