Are imagemagick-common libmagickcore-6.q16-2 libmagickwand-6.q16-2 obex-data-server necessary to Linux Mint 18.3?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
texaspete
Level 1
Level 1

Are imagemagick-common libmagickcore-6.q16-2 libmagickwand-6.q16-2 obex-data-server necessary to Linux Mint 18.3?

Post by texaspete »

I did not expect it to take over my default pdf viewer snd change it even after I reset it.

Hello,

I am using 18.3 because I do not know a fast way to back up my files and when I looked at an upgrade.. I liked my current version of LibreOffice though I just tested 20 and when I pull up Audacity, the screen goes blank for a few seconds.

So I was using the Software Manager and in the lower right there is a button for Flatpak. So I go over there and search "pdf" looking for any simple software to help manipulate pdf files or scan images to ocr so I can test it and see if I like it. I installed one called Gscan2pdf.

It showed up on my menu but so did two other new listings: Image-magick.

I didn't know why. But I found that when I tried to open a pdf - instead of using the default pdf viewer, an unusual Image-Magick program took over after a delay and opened the pdf file EVEN AFTER I tried to put the regular document viewer back as the default. The unwanted program overrode the defaults and did not work well as a pdf viewer anyway.

I went to the menu and right clicked and chose UNINSTALL. It said it was successful, nut you know what it left behind and why I am writing.

The Image-Magick was still a menu option and it still tried to open the pdfs.

I went to the terminal and looked for anything with that in it. It isn't so easy as removing each of them as there are other dependencies

sudo apt-get remove libmagickwand-6.q16-2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libmagickwand-6.q16-2 obex-data-server
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 683 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1,551 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

I think the obex-data-server does other things.

I sure wish the UNinstall worked as cleanly as the install and I have to question the ethich of software that makes unnecessary changes.

I wasn't even using the Gscan2pdf software when I tried to open pdf files.

It really seems like malware to me and I wonder why it is on the Software Manager.
Last edited by texaspete on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to get it back to before installed Gscan2pdf?

Post by kc1di »

you can go to files (file manager) and right click on a pdf file and choose the default you want it to open with.
Libreoffice is one of the choices. I use evince it's in the repository or you can choose another reader /pdf editor.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
antikythera
Level 6
Level 6

Post by antikythera »

Also, learn to use Timeshift. Timeshift takes a snapshot of your system files but will exclude all home directory contents by default. You should really be running it prior to making any program changes on your system or even applying updates.

Set it to include hidden files in your home directory and you can recover from incidents like this in future.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
texaspete
Level 1
Level 1

Post by texaspete »

kc1di wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:56 am
you can go to files (file manager) and right click on a pdf file and choose the default you want it to open with.
Libreoffice is one of the choices. I use evince it's in the repository or you can choose another reader /pdf editor.
good luck.
When I changed it and selected my change as the new default, the program changed it back. That's why it seems like malware to me. I guess it edited a default application configuration file. When I open a pdf in LibreOffice it goes to LibreDraw instead of a simple reader. I prefer Xreader over Evince.
Last edited by texaspete on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
texaspete
Level 1
Level 1

Post by texaspete »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:09 am
Also, learn to use Timeshift. Timeshift takes a snapshot of your system files but will exclude all home directory contents by default. You should really be running it prior to making any program changes on your system or even applying updates.

Set it to include hidden files in your home directory and you can recover from incidents like this in future.
Thanks. I have it but haven't tried it yet. Is the snapshot one condensed file or a system backup or both? Right now I would like to do a "dpkg --list | grep agic" in the terminal of the system before install to see if the output matches now. (I am using mint 18.3) Mine currently shows:
imagemagick-common
libmagic1:amd64
libmagickcore-6.q16-2:amd64
libmagickwand-6.q16-2:amd64

Does your computer show these?
texaspete
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Are imagemagick-common libmagickcore-6.q16-2 libmagickwand-6.q16-2 obex-data-server necessary to Linux Mint 18.3?

Post by texaspete »

So far I have noticed that a right click from the menu on UNINSTALL is as effective as REMOVE from the software manager - NOT VERY.

This terminal command was much more effective and removed all the additional software listed in the warning before installation:

apt-get --purge autoremove [PACKAGENAME]

I am not sure about what remains behind shown in the subject line. Not sure if it was there before.

Return to “Software & Applications”