Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cleanman2
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20 no stepper arrows on Firefox scrollbars

Post by cleanman2 »

I recently upgraded from Mint 18.3 to Mint 20 with a fresh install. I have almost everything looking like I had it in Mint 18.3 except the scrollbar stepper arrows in Firefox.

I have Mint 18.3 installed yet so I can switch back and forth and compare settings. All the Firefox preferences and the scrollbar settings in about:config are the same. In 18.3 I installed the clearlooks-phenix theme. (More on that later). I have goolged and searched this forum. I have tried changing the gtk.css file to: .scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 1;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 1;
-GtkRange-slider-width: 15;
-GtkRange-stepper-size: 15;
}
but that did not fix it. I have tried a lot of suggestions I found on the internet to no avail.

The only difference I can see between the two systems relates to the Clearlooks-Phenix theme. On my 18.3 system in System settings-->Themes I was able to select Clearlooks-Phenix for window borders and controls. On my Mint 20 system I can select Clearlooks-Phenix for controls but it does not showup for window borders. Currently I have Metal Box selected for window borders.

So I have two questions. 1) How can I get the scrollbar stepper arrows to show in Firefox like they do in all of the other apps?
2) If the Clearlooks-Phenix not showing up for window borders is the problem how can I fix it?

Thanks, Jim
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 20 no stepper arrows on Firefox scrollbars

Post by pbear »

Try switching to a Y theme. That's what worked for me when I transitioned from 18.x to 19.x (previously I had used an X theme).

If you're keen to stay with Clearlooks-Phenix, I'm afraid I can't help.

Be aware, you may have to choose one or the other. Not all themes still support steppers.
cleanman2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cleanman2 »

pbear wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:01 pm
Try switching to a Y theme. That's what worked for me when I transitioned from 18.x to 19.x (previously I had used an X theme).
I just tried some Y themes but didn't help.
If you're keen to stay with Clearlooks-Phenix, I'm afraid I can't help.
I think I first used Clearlooks with Ubuntu 16 and I installed it on Mint 18 and it worked just fine. When I first installed Mint 20 all of the scrollbars were thin with no steppers. After installing Clearlooks every app except Firefox now has normal looking scrollbars with steppers. I just discovered that when looking at the Firefox prefs page it has normal scrollbars with steppers, so do any popup windows it opens. It appears that Firefox does not include scrollbars with steppers only when it renders a webpage. I'm not sure what this means or if it is a clue to help me resolve this problem.
As I mentioned above on Mint 18.3 Clearlooks is an option for Window borders and Controls but in Mint 20 it is only an option for Controls in the themes settings page.

I did try some other themes, but when I did apps that displayed normal scrollbars with steppers under Clearlooks reverted to the narrow scrollbars with no steppers.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post is I am using Cinnamon.

Regard, Jim
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

cleanman2 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:38 pm
I just tried some Y themes but didn't help.
My main Mint system is Mate 19.1, but I have Cinn 20 in a test box, Scroll arrows work fine in Firefox when enabled.

I do notice that the form of gtk.css file I learned, from erstwhile forum guru gm10, is a bit different. (He's also the person who suggested the Y theme.) You could give his form of the commands a try.
cleanman2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cleanman2 »

@ pbear, thank you.

The link to the gtk.css file with different contents worked. They look different from the scrollbars on every other application I am using, but they do the job and that is what I want more than appearance.

In your reply you said "they work if enabled". What did you mean by enabled. Is there a setting that turns them off and on or did you mean after the gtk.css file was altered.

Regards, Jim
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

cleanman2 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 pm
... did you mean after the gtk.css file was altered.
This. Enabling steppers is what the gtk.css file is doing. Doesn't of itself create them. And there are other ways to enable them.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

I am encountering this problem as well with mint 20.1 and Firefox 89.0 here. I have tried creating the gtk.css file and have tried two different solutions posted or linked to here without success.

Has this changed with the later versions of Firefox and mint?

I should note that I have steppers elsewhere. SeaMonkey is my primary browser and they work fine there. I do have some strangeness with steppers on the terminal windows that I would also like to fix, but I really miss them in Firefox when I am forced to use it.

Dave
spamegg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spamegg »

It might be worth looking into about:config
Type about:config in your address bar, hit Enter, say OK to the warning.
Then search for "scrollbar" and try changing some of the options there, like widget.non-native-theme.gtk.scrollbar.allow-buttons
There are some other options there too.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

spamegg wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 pm
Then search for "scrollbar" and try changing some of the options there, like widget.non-native-theme.gtk.scrollbar.allow-buttons
That did it! thanks!

Dave
mhbUK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mhbUK »

spamegg wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 pm
Yes that's the solution. This thread could be marked as "solved", I think.